Preseason Game 3 vs Cincinnati: Discussion Thread

Woz

Should be another challenging game for 1st team our offense and defense. Cincy is a legit team, they'll challenge again for the AFCN crown along with Bmore & Pitt.

Its definitely going to be a huge game for our OL and running game again as well all know. I hope Perine shines again.

Hopefully Cousins looks sharper than he looked Week 1 or 2. I'll be definitely paying close attention to the DL & the safeties once again to see who stands out. I expect our young guys once again will flash and Taylor but I'm more worried about our vets showing something. 

39 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Gruden said that he wants Galette tonsee some game action this weekend vs Cin. Hope it happens! Can't wait!

I will be at this one I hope to see him get some game action. Not a lot but just let him get that mental and feel good before the season. Let's see if we can put this together this week. Should be some good matchups I'm interested too watch.

this is what I expect

1. I left this team to coach the Redskins? Why?

jay-gruden.jpg

2. This is how I feel about our offensive line

BzyF06_CYAEBq0C.jpg

3. I know I haven't gotten the most out of the players Scot gave me

crop_90JN1_99271451857750.jpg?t=20170517

4. At least I can drink tonight and hopefully will look better than this tomorrow 

05059795.jpg

OMG if you guys haven't listened to the Cooley film break down of our running game, go to the ESPN980 audio vault and listen! It's funny, sad and frustrating all in one!

The highlight in hilariousness is a play they called which Gibbs used to run called the "Hog Trey." The TE blocks the guy infront of him, probably OLB or DE, the OG pulls through the hole and then a 3rd blocker, the HB/FB follows. 

So, the TE blocking is Carrier and he does a decent job on his block, but here comes the hilarious part. Lauvao is pulling and he runs right into the butt of Carrier then, Paul is the HB and he comes through the hole and runs into the butt of Lauvao. So essentially they have 3 guys that block one and two of them really don't block anyone as the just run into one another. 

Its really inexplicable that this happens to two guys who are experienced in this scheme. Lauvao is usually a good pulling guard and Paul is a good blocker on the move - most times - although he's not s good inline blocker because of his size.

Other plays, Spencer Long calls out or doesn't identify the mike LB correctly constantly and the rest of the OL is confused. On and on, Scherff got beat several times by Mike Daniels, as did Lauvao & Long. We all saw the play where Moses was pulling and he got pancaked by the Packers ILB. There were also plays where Moses had no one to block and just stood there instead of getting up to the next level and hitting someone. 

Also Vernon Davis continues to underwhelm as a blocker. On one play he had to block a corner and instead of going and getting him, he just waited for the corner to come to him. 

Then, Kelley missed some things but as Woz keeps saying - and of course he's right per usual - Kelley gets pressure so much in the backfield because 2 to 4 blockers miss their assignments infront of him that he really can't go anywhere. 

Cooley felt that Kelley should have had gotten the first downs on some of the short yardage plays and he'd like us to have a back that can actually make someone miss if a player in unblocked. Morris struggled with this in the past, Jokes couldn't do it and Kelley does it some but isn't great at it.

By the way, he loved Perine because of the way he ran and the fact that he did make some players miss. If it were me, I'd once again start Thompson and mix in some Perine as a change of pace on run downs. Thompson can handle 5 to 10 carries a game, most of the receiving and knows all the protections as a blocker. I think he's the way to go. Let Thompson play 50% of the snaps, maybe more, get his 10 carries and 5-10 receptions a game. Have Perine come in and get his 5-10 carries a game to give Thompson a rest. If Perine gets in a groove, keep him in there more except on third & long because that's CT time!

Archived