WSH Coach Changes: O'Connell to OC/Rob Ryan (yes him) to LBs coach

MikeT14

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

It sounds like we are interviewing people to replace our current staff before firing our current staff, which is so Redskins.  And in true Redskins fashion, it has leaked.  

Hit the nail on the head with this one.  And we will end up with worse coaches and people in the long run because of it.  So many things have to change with this organization before they become successful again.......I don't think they can do them all under this owner, I really don't.  

Kowitca got out on his own terms, we should be celebrating for him.  I am shocked that we didnt fire him though, normally we have to control the narrative.  

This is a big blow for us, especially developing Hopkins and Way.  We haven;t had good, consistent punter and kicker for years, and we've developed both of them in house.  

This is a tough coach to lose.  

Losing Kotwika doesn’t mean anything to me. His special teams haven’t exactly lit the world on fire since he was hired. In fact the first year he was hired, I think they were down right awful. It’s not as big of all loss as people are making it out to be. Firing Torian Gray is much bigger loss/mistake.

51 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

Losing Kotwika doesn’t mean anything to me. His special teams haven’t exactly lit the world on fire since he was hired. In fact the first year he was hired, I think they were down right awful. It’s not as big of all loss as people are making it out to be. Firing Torian Gray is much bigger loss/mistake.

So having a legit punter and kicker don't mean anything?  

I know this is in burgundy and gold colored glasses, but those numbers and rankings seem pretty legit to me- https://www.redskins.com/team/coaches-roster/ben-kotwica.  They were much improved after the first season when they were able to install his system and get players used to it.  

It's definitely a big loss.  

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

After how Snyder put him out to pasture, no, it will never happen.  Gregg Williams could be barred from ever being a head coach again except in Washington, and I don't think he would take the job.  He was supposed to be the in-waiting choice, handpicked by a HOF legend to replace him upon retirement.  You don't send out Williams the way we did, and expect him to return.  

If he's barred from everywhere else ... well ...

43 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

While Gray was a bigger mistake, let's be fair to Kotwika: when he got here the special teams were atrocious. He made that piece of the ball respectable. Did they ever have a home run threat on returns? No. However, they did a good job of containing opponents' return men. I'll take competency.

2 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

After how Snyder put him out to pasture, no, it will never happen.  Gregg Williams could be barred from ever being a head coach again except in Washington, and I don't think he would take the job.  He was supposed to be the in-waiting choice, handpicked by a HOF legend to replace him upon retirement.  You don't send out Williams the way we did, and expect him to return.  

I disagree. There’s 32 of these jobs and Gregg can’t get one. He’s just as toxic as the Redskins are based on his history and this is probably the only place that would ever give him another shot. He absolutely would take this job. In a heartbeat. 

1 hour ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So having a legit punter and kicker don't mean anything?  

I know this is in burgundy and gold colored glasses, but those numbers and rankings seem pretty legit to me- https://www.redskins.com/team/coaches-roster/ben-kotwica.  They were much improved after the first season when they were able to install his system and get players used to it.  

It's definitely a big loss.  

He inherited Tress Way from what I remember and the ST coach has little to do with the development of the kicking game.

1 hour ago, Woz said:

While Gray was a bigger mistake, let's be fair to Kotwika: when he got here the special teams were atrocious. He made that piece of the ball respectable. Did they ever have a home run threat on returns? No. However, they did a good job of containing opponents' return men. I'll take competency.

Let’s be honest, the most famous thing Kotwika did was pee on the sidelines with someone holding a towel for cover on national television at Detroit.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

He inherited Tress Way from what I remember and the ST coach has little to do with the development of the kicking game.

He picked up Tress Way after he got cut by the Bears in their 2014 pre-season.  He picked up Hopkins as well.  

They do have a lot to do with the kicking game.  First, they sign these guys to contracts, work with them on drills, both physical and mental.  They help manage the mental game of the position where it's most fragile and can face the most criticism- just ask Cody Parkey or Billy Cundiff.  They also draw up the protections that keep them upright and able to get their kicks off, and it's a process of motivating special team guys who would rather be in the lineup starting and making a big play versus fighting off blocks for someone else. 

3 hours ago, Woz said:

No one appreciates special teams until we have terrible coverage units like we used to, a turnstile of kickers where at one point 1/4 of the league's placekickers had kicked for us, and when we could never even get the kickoff to the front of the end zone.  Kotwica took a bottom-feed special teams unit, gave it an identity and turned it into a top 10 unit with a kicker and punter who could play their entire careers for us and are doing very well for themselves.  

Archived