WSH Coach Changes: O'Connell to OC/Rob Ryan (yes him) to LBs coach

MikeT14

13 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

I think they should give him a defensive coordinator/assistant HC job. Callahan can go, I agree with Craig Hoffman that his training methods for the OL could be contributing to them getting injured often. Also, he’s the run game coordinator and our run game hasn’t been what it was last decade or when the Shanahans and Forester were here  from 2010-2013 and in 2014 when Forester was working under Gruden in Gruden first year our running game was better that year than it’s been since Callahan took it over.

First off, the whole "run game coordinator" thing doesn't mean anything.  Ultimately, Gruden calls the plays, and he abandons the run constantly so you can not put that on Bill Callahan.  

As for Craig Hoffman's assertion, I could easily argue that most of the other injuries occur because the team doesn't practice hard enough and get ready for the hits when they play games on Sunday.  

Also, the fact that they are being overworked is pretty rich, considering the average team practices 8 hours a week, and the first practice is a walk-through the day after the game.  And due to strict rules coming out of the CBA in 2011, only 14 practices can be padded during the year and 11 must occur within the first 11 weeks.  

This is a great read about what the average week looks like for an NFL player- https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/a-week-in-the-life-of-the-nfl-1.9218497

The reality is that injuries happen for a variety of ways, and to place blame on Callahan for an extra half hour here or there of positional drills isn't well thought out. 

13 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

First off, the whole "run game coordinator" thing doesn't mean anything.  Ultimately, Gruden calls the plays, and he abandons the run constantly so you can not put that on Bill Callahan.  

As for Craig Hoffman's assertion, I could easily argue that most of the other injuries occur because the team doesn't practice hard enough and get ready for the hits when they play games on Sunday.  

Also, the fact that they are being overworked is pretty rich, considering the average team practices 8 hours a week, and the first practice is a walk-through the day after the game.  And due to strict rules coming out of the CBA in 2011, only 14 practices can be padded during the year and 11 must occur within the first 11 weeks.  

This is a great read about what the average week looks like for an NFL player- https://www.newsday.com/sports/football/a-week-in-the-life-of-the-nfl-1.9218497

The reality is that injuries happen for a variety of ways, and to place blame on Callahan for an extra half hour here or there of positional drills isn't well thought out. 

Look I don’t really care, I’ve never been huge on Callahan, I think he’s overrated. Gruden May call the plays, but it’s Callahan’s run game scheme and I believe he installs the run game plays each week that he wants Gruden to call. Also, In Dal Callahan had the best OL & run game bc of the talent they gave him and Murray actually stayed healthy in 2014. It’s not like Dal has missed Callahan since we hired him away and meanwhile our running game has gotten worse since we fired Forester.

I can only go by what a beat reporter said, I’m not there and I trust Craig. His point was that the OL does more hitting than any other position group and they’re also the biggest guys on the team which takes a toll on their bodies as the year goes on, which could explain some of their injuries.

So if you believe Hoffman, explain Year 3 in Dallas.  

RT Doug Free: missed three games with foot injury

RG Zach Martin: missed zero games 

C Travis Frederick: missed zero games 

LG Ronald Leary: missed zero games 

LT Tyron Smith: missed zero games 

T Jermey Parnell: mizzed zero games 

T Darrion Weems: IR week 3 with shoulder injury

G/C Mackenzy Bernadeau: missed zero games 

G/T Donnell Hawkins: missed zero games 

If Hoffman is indeed correct on the intensity of Callahan's practices, many more injuries should have occurred in the third year of his coaching the offensive line, yet remarkably most players suited up the entire season. 

Also, this is Jay Gruden's offense, and make no mistake, this is his run scheme.  One of the reasons Foerster was kept was due to his reputation, but his style of zone blocking wasn't meshing with what Gruden wanted to do, so they went with a predominantly power blocking scheme.  

10 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

So if you believe Hoffman, explain Year 3 in Dallas.  

RT Doug Free: missed three games with foot injury

RG Zach Martin: missed zero games 

C Travis Frederick: missed zero games 

LG Ronald Leary: missed zero games 

LT Tyron Smith: missed zero games 

T Jermey Parnell: mizzed zero games 

T Darrion Weems: IR week 3 with shoulder injury

G/C Mackenzy Bernadeau: missed zero games 

G/T Donnell Hawkins: missed zero games 

If Hoffman is indeed correct on the intensity of Callahan's practices, many more injuries should have occurred in the third year of his coaching the offensive line, yet remarkably most players suited up the entire season. 

Also, this is Jay Gruden's offense, and make no mistake, this is his run scheme.  One of the reasons Foerster was kept was due to his reputation, but his style of zone blocking wasn't meshing with what Gruden wanted to do, so they went with a predominantly power blocking scheme.  

One year in Dal is not a big enough sample size and I would hope back ups who don’t play don’t get injured. Years before that, Free battled injuries and other Dal linemen. In DC we’re talking about a 4 year sample size and only 1 of those 4 years has the OL stayed mostly healthy all year, in 2016 when Kirk almost threw for 5,000 yds.

1 hour ago, turtle28 said:

One year in Dal is not a big enough sample size and I would hope back ups who don’t play don’t get injured. Years before that, Free battled injuries and other Dal linemen. In DC we’re talking about a 4 year sample size and only 1 of those 4 years has the OL stayed mostly healthy all year, in 2016 when Kirk almost threw for 5,000 yds.

Dude, that was Callahan;s THIRD year in Dallas.  Should've been plenty of injuries according to Hoffman but only Free missed a start, and it was three starts at that.  

If you look at 2012, Brian Waters was the only starter on the offensive line who missed games, going on IR about 2/3 of the way through.  Free didn't even make the injury list once.  

If this was true, you would see a history of it, so lets see the 2011 New York Jets where Callahan was in his third year as OL coach.  Ferguson and Slausen played all 16 games on the left side.  Center Nick Mangold missed two games early with an ankle injury.  Moore and Hunter played all 16 games on the right side.  

I'm calling BS on Hoffman for his opinion on this.  There would be a pattern which doesn't appear in the past two jobs where Callahan has coached three years.  

It amazes me that every coach we'd want to keep is leaving but the coaches we want gone are gonna remain. 

Like...how is this not worse then the Zorn year? I feel like this feels a hundred times more hopeless then the year Dan actually made a move.

Also while Callahan is kinda over-rated, the problem with our run game is that Gruden wants to run everything. He won't set himself down on Power or Zone and changes it depending on what back he wants to play with. It also doesn't help that we haven't had talent at the RB position for a while, this year is actually a perfect example. AP was good for the first 5 or 6 games but was pretty bad after that. The OL was still making good holes and doing their job but he just couldn't hit them. The QB's are generally well protected but our coach couldn't seem to get his vaunted scheme working and our QB's all sucked.

Our line is fairly talented. Trent is arguably the best tackle in football, Roulier is a very good center, Scherff is a top 3 guard, and while Moses is infuriating he's one of the better RT just due to their being a dearth of talent out there. The only massive whole is LG and it's not on Callahan that Ole Bruce hasn't addressed it in years and keeps trotting out the rotting husk they call Lauvao.

16 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Let’s be honest, the most famous thing Kotwika did was pee on the sidelines with someone holding a towel for cover on national television at Detroit.

Do we care if the coach is famous or not? Or do we care that the team he is coaching is competent in doing their job?

14 hours ago, Forge said:

Don't know how legit the guy is

Quality coaches wanting to get the heck out of Dodge? Wouldn't surprise me in the least.

If one of these guys can leave the dumpster fire that is Washington behind, they're going to try to do so.

3 hours ago, Brian23 said:

Also while Callahan is kinda over-rated, the problem with our run game is that Gruden wants to run everything. He won't set himself down on Power or Zone and changes it depending on what back he wants to play with. It also doesn't help that we haven't had talent at the RB position for a while, this year is actually a perfect example. AP was good for the first 5 or 6 games but was pretty bad after that. The OL was still making good holes and doing their job but he just couldn't hit them. The QB's are generally well protected but our coach couldn't seem to get his vaunted scheme working and our QB's all sucked.

Our line is fairly talented. Trent is arguably the best tackle in football, Roulier is a very good center, Scherff is a top 3 guard, and while Moses is infuriating he's one of the better RT just due to their being a dearth of talent out there. The only massive whole is LG and it's not on Callahan that Ole Bruce hasn't addressed it in years and keeps trotting out the rotting husk they call Lauvao.

The other thing in Callahan's favor: when they've had to go through the scrap heap to get guys, they generally tend to be prepared on short notice. Now, the guys they pick up are on the scrap heap for a reason (they're not good, or they're injury prone), but they have generally be coached up as well as can be expected.

Losing Callahan and Tomsula would be incredibly bad for this franchise, but if a coach has the option to go somewhere else, why wouldn't he? The Redskins are now the home of last resort for coaches, which will soon be the case for the players as well.

8 hours ago, turtle28 said:

Silver Lining, that means the team will take a major step back next year or we’ll get a lot of young coaching talent in here and someone will emerge as a HC candidate should Gruden not get us back to the playoffs.

Like  Kevin O’Connell should be promoted to offensive coordinator and playcaller, then we can hire another newly/young retired QB to be the QB coach.

On defense, Fire Manusky & make Tomsula the Ast HC/Defensive Coordinator. Let Tomsula fill out his defensive coaching staff. Let him hire a young defensive mind to coach the DL & he focuses mostly on that too, and he mentors the young DL coach.

Hire a young defensive backs coach to work with the young DBs.

Hire a young outside linebackers coach - like we had for a few years with Brian Baker - to just work with the young OLBs on passcrushing moves. 

Keep Ovaliti but he mostly works with ILBs next year.

young doesnt equal good

Just now, mar29020 said:

young doesnt equal good

What the Redskins have at defensive coordinator does not equal good either.

The devil we know is bad. There's a chance (albeit a very thin one given the franchise's professional reputation) that he devil we don't know isn't bad.

3 minutes ago, Woz said:

What the Redskins have at defensive coordinator does not equal good either.

The devil we know is bad. There's a chance (albeit a very thin one given the franchise's professional reputation) that he devil we don't know isn't bad.

giphy.gif

Archived