WSH Coach Changes: O'Connell to OC/Rob Ryan (yes him) to LBs coach

MikeT14

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

Ollivadoti actually came back after leaving.  So if he wants out, that could be bad.  It could also be that he wants to coach with LaFleur, who spent a year on staff with him in 2010.  

Only possible theory I can come up with: Brice knows that Gruden is a mediocre coach. So, he shivs him now so Jay fails in 2019 thus creating another scapegoat for him. Then he gets to replace Gruden and hang around longer.

Since Snyder has apparently decided that Brice and only Brice can get a new stadium done, all Brice needs to do is to deflect enough blame off of himself to some other patsy to keep his job. Why Snyder has convinced himself of this, I have no earthly idea.

2 hours ago, Woz said:

Only possible theory I can come up with: Brice knows that Gruden is a mediocre coach. So, he shivs him now so Jay fails in 2019 thus creating another scapegoat for him. Then he gets to replace Gruden and hang around longer.

Since Snyder has apparently decided that Brice and only Brice can get a new stadium done, all Brice needs to do is to deflect enough blame off of himself to some other patsy to keep his job. Why Snyder has convinced himself of this, I have no earthly idea.

We all know Gruden is a mediocre coach, this isn't news.  He hasn't hired a DC worth anything, and the best year with his offense was when he was essentially forced to have McVay call plays.  

The fact that Snyder is convinced that Allen is the only person who can get him the stadium he wants is crazy.  Those are his brother's political connections, not his own.  

On 1/15/2019 at 7:50 PM, naptownskinsfan said:

I still can't blame them for McVay.  Firing a head coach just to keep an assistant is not the right way to do business either.  

Whole Heartedly disagree. If you believe a guy has the chance to be the guy for a team, you have to make the move. They didn't because they're awful at identifying what makes coaches and a franchise successful.

But I think Gruden should have been gone after year one.

4 hours ago, Brian23 said:

Whole Heartedly disagree. If you believe a guy has the chance to be the guy for a team, you have to make the move. They didn't because they're awful at identifying what makes coaches and a franchise successful.

But I think Gruden should have been gone after year one.

It's just not the way you do business.  Did it work for the Giants, firing a legend in Tom Coughlin for Ben McAdoo?  Did it work for the Bucs letting go of Lovie Smith for Dirk Koetter?  Absolutely not.  And it isnt a good sign to future candidates- here, coach up your assistants, and to reward you, we're going to fire you.  It's not the right way to do business. 

8 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It's just not the way you do business.  Did it work for the Giants, firing a legend in Tom Coughlin for Ben McAdoo?  Did it work for the Bucs letting go of Lovie Smith for Dirk Koetter?  Absolutely not.  And it isnt a good sign to future candidates- here, coach up your assistants, and to reward you, we're going to fire you.  It's not the right way to do business. 

Who is Gruden coaching up? McVay was not a product of Gruden. Neither is any other coach they have. McVay was a guy they definitely should've let Gruden go for. 

9 minutes ago, Skins212689 said:

Who is Gruden coaching up? McVay was not a product of Gruden. Neither is any other coach they have. McVay was a guy they should've definitely let have Gruden go for. 

If we did that at the time, it would've been another Bruce Allen/McCloughan or Allen/Lafemina disaster all over again, and yet another black eye for the Redskins and another reason (on a pretty long list) why legitimate head coaching candidates will continue to refuse to interview here.  

Of course, this is also assuming McVay would take the job if offered to him.  From what other posters have said in this forum, that wasn't going to be the case.  

1 hour ago, Skins212689 said:

Who is Gruden coaching up? McVay was not a product of Gruden. Neither is any other coach they have. McVay was a guy they should've definitely let have Gruden go for. 

McVay would have failed here. LA was a great place because of the talented roster, ownership group, and low expectations. 

Has anyone ever fired the tenured Coach who won the Division to promote a Coordinator? If we promoted Mcvay I am sure he would have been micromanaged by Bruce and not given full control to do what he wanted.

Archived