Jump to content
showtime

2019 NFL Draft Thread

Recommended Posts

I like the collier pick. Getting a 5 tech that  can both hold the run and rush the passer is huge. A large reason for a slip in our run defense imo. I'd love to land banogu as a leo. 

I see us target a wide receiver next pick though, not sure who though. I like mclauren better as an overall receiver, but think we could move down again for him. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 minutes ago, SHONUFF said:

I like the collier pick. Getting a 5 tech that  can both hold the run and rush the passer is huge. A large reason for a slip in our run defense imo. I'd love to land banogu as a leo. 

I see us target a wide receiver next pick though, not sure who though. I like mclauren better as an overall receiver, but think we could move down again for him. 

Not speaking to value, here but I also like Collier. Dude is a straight bully, so much strength. He consistently drove LT's back and just manhandled bigger dudes. He was incredibly active on the line as well. TCU had him running lots of stunts and unders. He even dropped back into coverage a bit, and played some QB spy. Not sexy, not a high ceiling, but he seems like he could be a really solid player and potentially the Michael Bennett replacement.

 

As far as Day 2 targets; I think the thinnest positions are WR, Edge and Guard.

Lockett, Moore and Brown are the only health WR's right now. Its hard to mock WRs to Seattle since they require WR to do so much dirty work. To play WR in Seattle you have to comfortable with (and like) running rubs, picks and blocking for 80-85% of the game. 

 

Seattle has a lot of bodies at edge (Rasheem Green, Jacob Martin , Marsh, Orchard) but it would be nice to add more talent. Green essentially redshirted last season, so he is an unknown. Martin flashed some potential, but might be better suited as a situational rusher. Marsh and Orchard are castoffs.

 

Iupati, Fluker, Simmons are all coming off injuries, and/or are injury prone. Wouldn't mind seeing competition added at LG.

 

Interior Defensive line could be in play as well. Reed-Poona-Naz are a decent trio, but another playmaker here wouldn't hurt. Especially with Reeds contract situation lingering.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I would love Cody Ford, Metcalf Jr., Irv Smith Jr., or Adderley/Murphy with our 2nd. Technically one of those guys will be available to us.

 

Naturally this means we'll trade back and then select a linebacker.

Edited by NFL_Announcer

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, animaltested said:

But this is a misconception so many Hawks fans are making, Collier will not be playing as an edge rusher, he was not drafted as an edge rusher. He will be playing the strong DE position Red Bryant and Michael Bennett have played previously. Rushing the passer is part of the position, but its mostly about holding the edge, and squeezing down the line. Collier also has the flexibility Seattle loves from this position, as he can kick inside on pass rushing downs, to rush the passer from inside, something MB was a awesome at. Malcolm McDowell was supposed to be this guy, but well... ATV's. Collier has a good chance to start day 1 since Quenton Jefferson, Dion Jordan (FA) and Brandon Jackson are just …. meh at that position.  

Say what technically you want to say about how Seattle plays and their system, fact is Banogu is a better prospect and has more upside and was more productive in college.  That is my point.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
32 minutes ago, Ozzy said:

Say what technically you want to say about how Seattle plays and their system, fact is Banogu is a better prospect and has more upside and was more productive in college.  That is my point.

Sure, I don't know enough make a statement about that, or the value and what not. Just saying in general, its a misconception to think of Collier as a edge rusher, and compare him to edge rushers, when he wont play as one.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
14 minutes ago, animaltested said:

Sure, I don't know enough make a statement about that, or the value and what not. Just saying in general, its a misconception to think of Collier as a edge rusher, and compare him to edge rushers, when he wont play as one.

True, and against the run he is a better player but knowing Banogu as a prospect and seeing how well he athletically performed, would not surprise me if he is a better pro than Collier is.  

Heck I could argue if they want a solid run stopping DE take Zach Allen who had more production arguably than Collier, is about just as big but was far more consistently dominant for a longer period of time.  And he is falling to the 2nd round but on the field is totally a 1st round talent in a less DL heavy draft I feel.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

What's the story on D.K. Metcalf?  He's 6'3" and 228 pounds.  I've always heard that he was extremely fast, but people have been saying that he's not a 'football player'.  His measurables seem off the charts.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, showtime said:

What's the story on D.K. Metcalf?  He's 6'3" and 228 pounds.  I've always heard that he was extremely fast, but people have been saying that he's not a 'football player'.  His measurables seem off the charts.

From what i understand from reading twitter and listening to people on the radio his route tree is limited but he can still be productive burning people with his speed opposite of Locket.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Sacks98 said:

From what i understand from reading twitter and listening to people on the radio his route tree is limited but he can still be productive burning people with his speed opposite of Locket.

Hopefully he can develop his route tree over time.  Sounds like he understands his weaknesses and is committed to getting better.  Here's a funny video of him and Pete Carroll lol

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I like this draft this far..

LJ Collier DE => Could be a Day 1 starter at the strong side DE

Marquis Blair S => Probably the heir apparent to Bradley McDougald. Seattle has a lot of Flexibility at S with Hill, McDoug and now Blair being able to play both spots. 

DK Metcalf WR => Russell throws the best deep ball in the game. DK and Lockett just going be sent deep every play. 

Cody Barton OLB => Will make an impact on special teams. Could push Mingo this year, insurance for KJ and Kendricks.

Gary Jennings WR =>  With Dougs situation, getting 2 WRs is big. Lockett, Metcalf, Moore and now Gary, that's a LOT OF SPEED.

Phil Haynes OL => Big boy with a lot of flexibility, can play both G positions, kick outside. Good depth player at a position with some injury concerns. 

Ugochukwu Amadi SLOT => Position of need. Could compete with King, or at least be a complementary player to King (TE BIG WR, versus Speed).

 

for the last fews picks, I'm sure they will take a flyer on a project boundary CB, and possibly a TE and hopefully interior defensive lineman.

 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 hours ago, animaltested said:

I like this draft this far..

LJ Collier DE => Could be a Day 1 starter at the strong side DE

Marquis Blair S => Probably the heir apparent to Bradley McDougald. Seattle has a lot of Flexibility at S with Hill, McDoug and now Blair being able to play both spots. 

DK Metcalf WR => Russell throws the best deep ball in the game. DK and Lockett just going be sent deep every play. 

Cody Barton OLB => Will make an impact on special teams. Could push Mingo this year, insurance for KJ and Kendricks.

Gary Jennings WR =>  With Dougs situation, getting 2 WRs is big. Lockett, Metcalf, Moore and now Gary, that's a LOT OF SPEED.

Phil Haynes OL => Big boy with a lot of flexibility, can play both G positions, kick outside. Good depth player at a position with some injury concerns. 

Ugochukwu Amadi SLOT => Position of need. Could compete with King, or at least be a complementary player to King (TE BIG WR, versus Speed).

 

for the last fews picks, I'm sure they will take a flyer on a project boundary CB, and possibly a TE and hopefully interior defensive lineman.

 

I agree with you.  I really like the picks overall.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

The only "value" I give a damn about is the value of the extra picks we gained. Some TV pundits, or web sites perceived player value is worth spit. When grading how well someone draft you have to grade how well players fit, a teams philosophy and draft tenancies. I just don't understand how morons on this site think they know these players and teams so well. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
2 hours ago, SHONUFF said:

The only "value" I give a damn about is the value of the extra picks we gained. Some TV pundits, or web sites perceived player value is worth spit. When grading how well someone draft you have to grade how well players fit, a teams philosophy and draft tenancies. I just don't understand how morons on this site think they know these players and teams so well. 

I feel the same way, for the most part.  Like people that are saying Collier was a bad pick and the Seahawks reached on him, his teammate was better, etc.  Also, these guys haven't even played yet.  Say Collier becomes a pro bowl caliber player... is he still a reach?  It just doesn't make any sense to me.

It's okay to have opinions on guys, but some people are freaking out way too much and nothing has happened yet.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Expectations and Roles for each pick.

1. LJ Collier 5 Tech - He probably has the best shot at starting from this group. Will obviously be competing for the starting 5 tech with Jefferson and Green. Even if he doesn't win out, he will definitely see significant snaps at both the 5 and UT on pass rushing downs. 

2. Marquise Blair S - Barring injury or significant decline in play from Thompson or McDougald, Blair will probably make is biggest impact on special teams. Seattle has a lot of bodies at safety (Thompson, McDougald, Hill, Lutani, Blair, Amadi), so it will be interesting to see how things shake out. 

3. DK Metcalf WR - I wasn't a fan at first, but the more I read, and watch, he is a awesome fit for what Seattle does. The offense does most of their damage through attacking deep on the boundaries. Russell throws excellent 50/50 balls, and DK has the talent to really take advantage of that. He could be what P-Rich was in 2017 for this team in 2019. 

4. Cody Barton LB - Fits Seattle's profile, with athleticism and flexibility. Outside chance to push Mingo, but more than likely, he will have a immediate impact on special teams, and be nice insurance for KJ and Kendrick.  

5. Gary Jennings WR - More talent added to a thin position. Can't really have high expectations for rookie WR though. Speed and size is always a plus though.

6. Phil Haynes G - Everything I've heard about this guy has been awesome. Big, strong, fits perfectly with what Solari wants from this unit. Could push Iupati at RG, but if not, will be a great depth piece, with flexibly to line up inside or outside. 

7. Ugo Amadi DB - Again, biggest impact will be on ST. You have to love the tenacity and flexibility Amadi has. Could be a nice little swiss army knife for Norton and Carrol to play with. 

8. Ben Burr Kirven LB - Another immediate impact on ST guy. This LB crew is deep, and talented. BBK is obviously going to be a fan fav moving forward. 

9. Travis Homer RB - Best bet to replace Mike Davis. Potential 3rd down back moving forward. Great hands out of the backfield, good pass blocker. As a 6th nothing is guaranteed, but I'm excited to see him in the PS.

10. Demarcus Christmas DT - Pretty much a lottery pick. No expectations. Potential is there, but who knows.

11. John Ursua WR - Could definitely make the team in the slot. None of the Seattle's current WR really profile to the slot, so Ursua has a opening. 

 

Overall notes:

Special Teams was an obvious focus here. Last years coverage units were shocking blah. Blair, Barton, Amadi, BBK, even Homer all could help refresh those units. 

Safety and LB suddenly have a ton of depth and talent. It will be interesting to see how things shake out there. Not going to be able to stash anyone of those guys on the PS.

With Baldwins status, WR suddenly became the biggest need area, and they added to it. Lockett, Moore, DK, Gary is a dangerous unit to work with. A lot of downfield action. What Seattle does with Jarran Brown will be interesting. He pretty much was used as flex TE, so he could still find his role there. Ursua has a good shot at making the team as a slot as long as he can translate his skill set. 

Seattle seems comfortable with Flowers - Griffin - King at CB

George Fant is a TE moving forward, and hopefully Seattle is confident Dissly can come back from injury.

Edge and DT were two concerns, and neither were really addressed. Seattle will probably sign some vets to fill in those units. I like what Jacob Martin brings, but can he really be relied on has the #1 Leo? Marsh and Orchard are not really prime players for that spot. Reed - Naz - Poona is a decent unit, but that's a lot riding on a UDFA, an oft-injured guy with a heart condition, and Reed. Again, Seattle will probably add here in FA.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×