What's your big board? 2019 Edition.

RaidersAreOne

4th pick definitely has to be pass rusher for me, so my ranks looks like this for now;

1) Nick Bosa (Impossible)

2) Josh Allen (I think 50/50 chance here)

3) Clelin Ferrell (He should be available)

If Q still on the board with one of these while Raiders are on the clock, it could make things difficult but I feel we need real edge rusher and after these 3 there is significant drop off. 

24th and 27th has to be best player available approach but i like one of two as a reciever. So my wish list looks like this;

1) D.K. Metcalf (I think he's best WR prospect in this class and could be true no.1)

2) Devin White - Mack Wilson - Devin Bush (These 3 pretty much equal for me and one of them really makes me happy)

3) Deionte Thompson (He is played poorly in playoffs but has all the tools, could be a difference maker along side Joseph)

4) Trayvon Mullen (Unlike Thompson played great football in playoffs and could gone earlier)

5) N'Keal Henry (If Metcalf gone)

6) DeAndre Baker (I expect him to slide all the way outside top 20)

7) Brandon Jacobs (We could land him in second but as the draft day getting closer he could be in high demand)

• Like 1

8 hours ago, RoughRaider said:

4th pick definitely has to be pass rusher for me, so my ranks looks like this for now;

1) Nick Bosa (Impossible)

2) Josh Allen (I think 50/50 chance here)

3) Clelin Ferrell (He should be available)

If Q still on the board with one of these while Raiders are on the clock, it could make things difficult but I feel we need real edge rusher and after these 3 there is significant drop off. 

24th and 27th has to be best player available approach but i like one of two as a reciever. So my wish list looks like this;

1) D.K. Metcalf (I think he's best WR prospect in this class and could be true no.1)

2) Devin White - Mack Wilson - Devin Bush (These 3 pretty much equal for me and one of them really makes me happy)

3) Deionte Thompson (He is played poorly in playoffs but has all the tools, could be a difference maker along side Joseph)

4) Trayvon Mullen (Unlike Thompson played great football in playoffs and could gone earlier)

5) N'Keal Henry (If Metcalf gone)

6) DeAndre Baker (I expect him to slide all the way outside top 20)

7) Brandon Jacobs (We could land him in second but as the draft day getting closer he could be in high demand)

Good list. I would definitely pick Q Williams if he was there over Ferrell, but I also feel at this stage he would be a solid option for us at 4. Combine might change that though. Would be really happy with any number of combinations of the late players you listed.

I assume you don't mean Brandon Jacobs though!

4 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Q or Jonah? 

The need an OT if they want to protect Rosen. They have Chandler Jones and could go interior with Q, but could go opposite him and add Bosa. I could see them doing any of it.

Q.

I know for certain Keim feels like this biggest thing missing from that team is the Calais Campbell type presence. 

4 hours ago, big_palooka said:

You know for certain? Care to elaborate or are you just assuming?

I would have to spend the time looking through my twitter But a beat writer for Arizona asked Heim why he believes the defense took a step back. He said lack of an inside presence. We good pressure from the outside. We have a secondary. When Calais left he left a big hole. Same guy quoted Heim saying there could be an answer in this draft. All the beat writers are now convinced Q is the pick.

I think Arizona trades with the Jets if they want anyone other than Bosa.
Pretty sure the 49ers can't really take Quinnen based on personnel, like they can but if he's rated anywhere near Josh Allen or another prospect, they have interior DL on the roster so thats reduced snaps for their high round talent.

If I was Arizona and wanted Quinnen Williams, I would take Leonard Williams the 3rd overall and whatever other compensation could be had. I think the Jets have to have had by the time of the draft a question of if Leonard Williams will be resigned next year, they have to have that conversation with this DT class. This class, plus their dire need for a 4-3 Edge for Gregg Williams and I think you could squeeze them for pretty good value and also get Leonard. Pair Leonard with Quinnen and then you have a significantly improved defensive line. Based on how the Cardinals couldnt stop the run last year, but didn't really struggle to get sacks, I think this is the approach that makes the most sense. They are going to attempt to do an uptempo air raid offense. Time of Possession is deemphasized sort of like Chip Kelly right, perhaps more so? The offense will be calling runs that option to pass plays very frequently, the receivers run routes on almost all the run plays, so if the QB sees something he can bail out of the hand off and throw a dart. If you are running that kind of offense isn't it most important to shut down the run, so you put teams in more difficult 3rd downs and get off the field? Like if the Cardinals don't significantly upgrade their run defense, the opposing teams are going to tire the Cardinals out like no ones business. Bosa could still be in play, but that would be at #1 overall, and if they aren't interested they are insane to not get the Jets to buy. The Jets because 4 is too far unless they want Jonah Williams or something like that or replace Rosen in some bizarre scenario, and the Jets are AFC so Bosa doesn't kill you for passing -- which the 49ers would do if the Cards stay put and pass.

On the topic of the thread, I haven't really looked enough for a complete board but theres a number of guys I like so far.

Top 5:
Nick Bosa, DE The Ohio State
Quinnen Williams, DL Alabama
_______
First Round:
Clelin Ferrel, DE Clemson
Josh Jacobs, RB Alabama
Devin White, LB LSU
Jonah Williams, OT Alabama
TJ Hockenson, TE Iowa
Daniel Jones, QB Duke (Would be a year + behind Carr developing before seeing if a trade of Carr or Jones is worth it. He looks trait wise and handles himself like a Gruden QB -- only QB I'd be okay with the Raiders swinging for, but not at 4 and not to start over Carr. If taken and two years behind Carr, Carr would be 30 with 2 years left on his contract -- certainly worth a haul -- while Jones would be 23/24 with 2 years and an option left on his contract, with the option only being available if we select him in the first)
____
Fringe First:
Dexter Lawerence, NT Clemson
Byron Murphy, CB Washington
Zach Allen, 5Tech Boston College
Germaine Pratt, LB NC State
Riley Ridley, WR Georgia

_____
Second/Third:
Erik McCoy, C/G Texas A&M
Nasir Adderley, S Delaware
K'Neal Harry, WR Arizona State
Marquise 'Hollywood' Brown, WR Oklahoma
Talyor Rapp, SS Washington

Edited by Trojan
  • Like 1

7 hours ago, big_palooka said:

fElrlOhBVcBLW.gif

Is what you don't get my term "fringe first"? That is a late first to mid second imo, because of scheme fits. I could see him being BPA in the first round in certain scenarios, but likely is a second rounder like the rest of the players in his category. Dexter Lawerence is a nose tackle and likely a two down monster that won't be valued by some teams, especially how he was a stud one year then maybe dealt with injuries or something but slowed down a bit. He's huge and likely isn't going that high into the first because the pass game is what has value. Murphy is an undersized zone corner, but a talented one. I don't think he goes exceptionally high because teams seem to value size, press and man coverage. I think some risk taker with height like Greedy will be valued over him, but Murphy is the fit I like on our team. Zach Allen has a not ideal body type without much flexibility or stunning burst to be an edge rusher, but he sets the edge and is a great asset in preventing the run. Riley Ridley isn't a DK Metcalf type "wow this guy could be ____", but he has some nice details to his game that show even when he isn't getting the ball like his first three steps and coordination with how he sells his hands gets early separation. Germaine Pratt though, he was a safety and coverted to LB. The flaws in his game are he plays too high and can misdiagnose or slowly diagnose a play with misdirection, which I think is a hold over from playing safety and watching the play develop a bit longer. That is a coachable fix, and otherwise I see range, tackling ability and proper depth in zone coverages. One not highlight play that comes to mind was against Lamar Jackson, when he is newly a LB, he peels from his coverage in zone and chases a breaking receiver down the sideline from behind preventing a TD when his coverage assignment was on another maybe 15 yards away. Against Clemson his weakness I mentioned was on display, but he still had some nice plays.  It was that one with the WR in motion to hand off into an inside zone that they ran a few times that made Pratt look bad, but if you remove that play from the game this is a guy that otherwise looked promising against the future champions in multiple ways and I'd suggest rewatching that game and removing the play I mentioned as that is a coachable film study after it has been seen and identified. He reminds me a little of Darrius Leonard, but lacks Leonard's hand punch to keep blockers at a distance from his body as he frames an outside run, not that Pratt doesn't have the ability to disengage -- just the hand punch to maintain distance was a strength Leonard had that I haven't seen Pratt do. I think that is also coachable, and if Pratt wasn't a LB convert I'd question why that hasn't been adapted into his game at this point. His weaknesses are those of a Safety playing in the box, and his strengths are what we should be looking for in a LB with confidence our DC who is known as a LB coach that teaches fundamentals and blitz technique would create a great prospect for our team, imo. I have him ranked roughly where I think he should be based off who I've seen. I haven't rewatched Josh Allen this year and only know him off last year for example, there is a bunch of prospects that I haven't watched, perhaps others jump in front of the tier I have as fringe first. At this point though I would be more than happy to end up with like Quinnen Williams @4, Josh Jacobs and Byron Murphy with the other firsts, and then Pratt. That would fit on how I currently have my board constructed and isn't bad or even controversial imo. Pratt in the third, there is little doubt he would be near the top of my board and I have Pratt rated as a fringe first, but not necessarily going to go in the first. I had AShawn Robinson as a top 10 talent and he went 46th. Robinson developed a little slow and wasn't an instant impact, but he probably last year was closer to a top 10 talent of his class than the 46th best talent.

Going to qualify this post by saying it's also still early and I'm not so set in my rankings that I'm trying to sell people on prospects or whatever. Like in my initial BB post "I haven't really looked enough for a complete board but theres a number of guys I like so far." What I am saying is although it's early, these are guys I like and the intent of this post is to show why.

What do you see in Germaine Pratt where he isn't going to be on the top of the board when we pick at 35th?

20 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Is what you don't get my term "fringe first"? That is a late first to mid second imo, because of scheme fits. I could see him being BPA in the first round in certain scenarios, but likely is a second rounder like the rest of the players in his category. Dexter Lawerence is a nose tackle and likely a two down monster that won't be valued by some teams, especially how he was a stud one year then maybe dealt with injuries or something but slowed down a bit. He's huge and likely isn't going that high into the first because the pass game is what has value. Murphy is an undersized zone corner, but a talented one. I don't think he goes exceptionally high because teams seem to value size, press and man coverage. I think some risk taker with height like Greedy will be valued over him, but Murphy is the fit I like on our team. Zach Allen has a not ideal body type without much flexibility or stunning burst to be an edge rusher, but he sets the edge and is a great asset in preventing the run. Riley Ridley isn't a DK Metcalf type "wow this guy could be ____", but he has some nice details to his game that show even when he isn't getting the ball like his first three steps and coordination with how he sells his hands gets early separation. Germaine Pratt though, he was a safety and coverted to LB. The flaws in his game are he plays too high and can misdiagnose or slowly diagnose a play with misdirection, which I think is a hold over from playing safety and watching the play develop a bit longer. That is a coachable fix, and otherwise I see range, tackling ability and proper depth in zone coverages. One not highlight play that comes to mind was against Lamar Jackson, when he is newly a LB, he peels from his coverage in zone and chases a breaking receiver down the sideline from behind preventing a TD when his coverage assignment was on another maybe 15 yards away. Against Clemson his weakness I mentioned was on display, but he still had some nice plays.  It was that one with the WR in motion to hand off into an inside zone that they ran a few times that made Pratt look bad, but if you remove that play from the game this is a guy that otherwise looked promising against the future champions in multiple ways and I'd suggest rewatching that game and removing the play I mentioned as that is a coachable film study after it has been seen and identified. He reminds me a little of Darrius Leonard, but lacks Leonard's hand punch to keep blockers at a distance from his body as he frames an outside run, not that Pratt doesn't have the ability to disengage -- just the hand punch to maintain distance was a strength Leonard had that I haven't seen Pratt do. I think that is also coachable, and if Pratt wasn't a LB convert I'd question why that hasn't been adapted into his game at this point. His weaknesses are those of a Safety playing in the box, and his strengths are what we should be looking for in a LB with confidence our DC who is known as a LB coach that teaches fundamentals and blitz technique would create a great prospect for our team, imo. I have him ranked roughly where I think he should be based off who I've seen. I haven't rewatched Josh Allen this year and only know him off last year for example, there is a bunch of prospects that I haven't watched, perhaps others jump in front of the tier I have as fringe first. At this point though I would be more than happy to end up with like Quinnen Williams @4, Josh Jacobs and Byron Murphy with the other firsts, and then Pratt. That would fit on how I currently have my board constructed and isn't bad or even controversial imo. Pratt in the third, there is little doubt he would be near the top of my board and I have Pratt rated as a fringe first, but not necessarily going to go in the first. I had AShawn Robinson as a top 10 talent and he went 46th. Robinson developed a little slow and wasn't an instant impact, but he probably last year was closer to a top 10 talent of his class than the 46th best talent.

Going to qualify this post by saying it's also still early and I'm not so set in my rankings that I'm trying to sell people on prospects or whatever. Like in my initial BB post "I haven't really looked enough for a complete board but theres a number of guys I like so far." What I am saying is although it's early, these are guys I like and the intent of this post is to show why.

What do you see in Germaine Pratt where he isn't going to be on the top of the board when we pick at 35th?

giphy.gif

• Like 2

24 minutes ago, Trojan said:

Posted about this in our draft thread:

I've litterally seen Pratt mocked in the 4th round. I don't see anyone reputable in the draft space that ranks him top 50:

One example: https://theathletic.com/769500/2019/01/16/dane-bruglers-top-50-draft-board-where-does-kyler-murray-fit-in-this-years-class/

And he's hyped up here to an absurd degree. What am I missing? I just see a fast player who's not overly strong, doesn't take on contact well and gets blocked easily. His hips look stiff, he's not fluid and plays high which is why he gets eaten up on blocks. 

White can change direction on a dime (former running back). Pratt's feet are in cement. He has no change of direction or mobility. He's fast in a straight line, that's it.

This play always stands out. Looks like it takes him 10 mins to get up to speed and looks like a Dlineman trying to cut.. He was too tight to play safety, so moved to LB. This shows why

Pratt is LB 5 or 6 on the list for me. 3rd round at the earliest unless he shows more movement skills at the combine than he did in games.

• Like 1