Doctson & PRich need to elevate their games, film review

turtle28

The wide receiver group is one of great intrigue for the Redskins. Many analysts believe the Redskins could look to add a No. 1 receiver in the offseason, be it in free agency or early on in the draft. While the Redskins might not have had a 1,000-yard receiver, I personally believe the stats were somewhat misleading as an evaluation of what I feel is a relatively talented group.

Paul Richardson

For a receiver that signed a five-year, $40 million contract as a free agent last March, a season in which he managed just 20 catches for 262 yards and two touchdowns will be considered a disappointment. Richardson was one of many players that battled the injury bug and never fully looked healthy before eventually being shut down for the season in Week 10. But even while the production was ultimately underwhelming, Richardson did display signs of just why the Redskins gave him such a big contract.

5 years and $40 million for Richardson was highway robbery by his agent.  Dude deserves a major award for getting that much dysfunction tax out of the Redskins for Richardson.  These are his stats over four years before coming to Washington:

1,302 receiving yards

95 receptions 

8 touchdowns 

To put that into perspective, 10 different pass catchers had more receiving yards THIS SEASON than Richardson.  Another one finished with more receptions and five fewer yards.  12 finished with more touchdowns this season, and another 12 with more receptions.  

This overpay is on par with the Albert Haynesworth disappointment.  

24 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

5 years and $40 million for Richardson was highway robbery by his agent.  Dude deserves a major award for getting that much dysfunction tax out of the Redskins for Richardson.  These are his stats over four years before coming to Washington:

1,302 receiving yards

95 receptions 

8 touchdowns 

To put that into perspective, 10 different pass catchers had more receiving yards THIS SEASON than Richardson.  Another one finished with more receptions and five fewer yards.  12 finished with more touchdowns this season, and another 12 with more receptions.  

It is the market value at the Receiver Person Albert Wilson got the same deal from the Dolphins and Watkins got 16 million a year.

1 hour ago, rizzy said:

It is the market value at the Receiver Person Albert Wilson got the same deal from the Dolphins and Watkins got 16 million a year.

Sammy Watkins scored eight touchdowns last season for a loaded offense.  His rookie and 2nd year season far surpass anything done by Richardson.  He's a proven downfield threat who should be making that kind of money.  

If teams are dumb enough to pay middle of the road, one trick wide receivers like Richardson and Wilson that kind of money, then be my guest, market value or not.  Doesn't mean that the Redskins had to sign the guy to that contract, they could've walked away.  As it stands, Richardson is looking like a massive bust whose agent squeezed a huge contract out of one of the league's worst front offices.  

Just now, lavar703 said:

Remember when I said we overpaid Richardson and got crap for it from the guys who were saying I wasn’t a real fan. Yeah....

I was relatively happy with the Richardson signing, but I recognized that it was high risk due to his injury history. I wasn't completely happy with the contract, but I realized it was where the market was.

It didn't work out, but at least it was targeting a reasonably talented player over another Terrell McClain/Stacy McGee waste of space.

The WRs might be crap, but at the same time it’s kind of hard to evaluate them when you’re original starting QB for 8 games makes a living throwing to RBs, and then the rest of the season you trot out Colt McCoy, Mark Sanchez and Josh Johnson as your QB.  

10 hours ago, Doc Draper said:

Yes it is the another failed Redskins season and the writers (not you Turtle) have to come up with content. This is so obvious that Captain Obvious had to weigh in

giphy.gif

Mark Bullock watches a lot of film, I trust his analysis.

5 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

1,302 receiving yards

95 receptions 

8 touchdowns 

44 recs, 700 yards, a 16 yd avg and 6 of those TDs were in 2017. He was on his way to having a similar season for us this year - maybe better - let’s see what he does next year. He has at least one more year as a Redskin.

2 minutes ago, turtle28 said:

700 of those yards and 6 of those TDs were in 2017. He was on his way to having a similar season for us this year - maybe better - let’s see what he does next year. He has at least one more year as a Redskin.

He played in seven games and had 35 targets, 20 catches, 262 yards and two touchdowns.  If anything, 2017 is looking like he suited up for a great contract year.  

1 minute ago, naptownskinsfan said:

He played in seven games and had 35 targets, 20 catches, 262 yards and two touchdowns.  If anything, 2017 is looking like he suited up for a great contract year.  

We’ll see what happens next year. 

He was on pace for 48 recs, 600 yds and  5 TDs last year if he had stayed healthy.

And there is no way that kind of production warrants five years, $40 million with $16.5 guaranteed.  

Before anyone wants to use the QB situation, he only played with Alex Smith this year, who at this point is a poor man's Russell Wilson, so his pace that was mentioned in the post above is probably true adjusted for QB.  

We got hosed, plain and simple.  It goes back to the fact that we can not develop our own receivers, ever since Michael Westbrook.  We will have to continue to pay- and now overpay- in free agency to bring in receivers.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

And there is no way that kind of production warrants five years, $40 million with $16.5 guaranteed.  

Before anyone wants to use the QB situation, he only played with Alex Smith this year, who at this point is a poor man's Russell Wilson, so his pace that was mentioned in the post above is probably true adjusted for QB.  

We got hosed, plain and simple.  It goes back to the fact that we can not develop our own receivers, ever since Michael Westbrook.  

It was just one season though, hopefully he’s better next year and better than he was in 2017 too. He definitely has the talent for it.

Archived