Draft Discussion 2019

Rgossett07

Chris Grier now has full control over the draft and roster.  Let's hope he is gets more X. Howards and less D. Parkers/C. Harris's.

Interesting fact....  Miami has drafted 79 players the past 10 drafts.

Of those 79, only 6 have made the Pro Bowl.  Of those 6, 2 are still on the roster.  X. Howard and R. Jones. 

The other 4 are J. Ajayi, J. Landry, M. Pouncey and V. Davis.

For perspective  the Steelers have drafted 9 Pro Bowlers in that span and all 9 are on the roster. (Bell and Shazier are counted for in that 9)

Seahawks drafted 11 PB, Chargers drafted 9 PB, Chiefs drafted 13 PB, Packers 11 PB and Vikings 11 PB all the past 10 years.

Miami needs talent.  There is a need at every position but possibly safety and maybe RB.  Best Player Available IMO for the next 3 years.

What would you do with the 13th pick?  I would trade back if I can.  Collect late firsts, seconds and thirds.

Edited by Rgossett07

Trade back sounds nice. At some point people should realize that you're not going to get the quality of prospects, and I don't trust our scouting/mgt to hit on later guys. What good is quantity if they're not as good. The D Line needs a real influx of talent. I hope our 1st round and 2nd round pick goes to D Line if there's still good value there (which there should be), then maybe a guy like OL Mitch Hyatt (who might move to OG) if he's there in the 3rd. I love Zach Allen, so a trade back to #20 would be ideal if we could still get him. He'd also shift inside on passing downs. There's so many quality DL guys, it's hard separate a lot of them.

Trade pick 13 and our 2nd rounder to the Eagles for their 1st round, 2nd round, and Nick Foles.

Foles will command a high salary on a long term deal with big garauntees, and that will ultimately drive down the Eagles asking price.

As we know, we want to rebuild, but as we also know, Tannehill probably isn’t the QB to do it around.  We need a QB that is still relatively young and can progress through at least 3 passing options and Foles fits that bill.

We use our newly acquired 1st round pick on a DT or an interior OLineman.  We keep that strategy going into round 2.

We feed Harris to the Lions and name him a starter on the right edge and bring Wake back to play the opposite side while cutting Quinn and his $12 Mil salary.

I guess I will be the first to jump on the trade up for Haskins. Haskins is a proven winner, his biggest performances in college came against the best teams they faced. He constantly rises to the occasion. His arm strength is off the charts, he can make off platform throws deep down the field, with perfect accuracy. In the bowl game I watched him throw across his body, without setting his feet, using just his arm, and make a perfect throw to a RB coming out of the backfield. It was a Mahomes type of pass. The defense had no idea he was about to throw the football, the LB was still tracking Haskins, which allowed the RB to run a clean route, and pick up a huge chunk of yardage on a third and long. Haskins understands what the defense is doing, he knows how to manipulate the pocket to create throwing lanes. Is he a perfect QB, no. He really needs to work on his mechanics, but that is something that is teachable. His raw play making ability is something that you can't learn, his arm is golden, and he loves the game of football. He comes from a good background, and is as clean of a prospect as you can find. He is a true franchise QB. I know that many people here have hyped the 2020 QB class, and that hype may be affecting the 2019 draft. It has been reported that most of the teams in the top 5 want to trade down, as GM's want to load up for 2020. That has lowered the asking price of teams wanting to trade up. Don't get me wrong, it will still be expensive to move up to the 1st pick, but not multiple firsts round picks. Miami will have to beat the offer from the Jags, as they are the only team that is currently being mentioned as wanting to move up. I really don't care what it costs Miami, Haskins has the same "it" factor that Baker Mayfield had last year, and that type of leadership is sorely needed in Miami. The Dolphins need hope more than anything, with a new young HC, paired with a young QB, it could finally be the spark to get Miami out of the doghouse. Why do we need to wait another year to get a QB, when we can get one this year. Here is an excerpt from a draft analyst about Haskins.

has good overall athletic ability with quick feet and good change of direction--------has a good feel for pass rushers and shows he can extend plays with his feet-----has a very quick overhand delivery and a quick release-----has shown the ability to make quick decisions and get the ball out of his hand-----nearly 72 percent completion rate shows, he is very accurate-----his ball placement is very good-----can consistently put the ball where it won’t get broken up or intercepted------poise in the pocket-----reads the field well, shows he can go through a progression and find the open receiver-----very good arm strength, can zip it when he has to and throws a tight but catchable ball-----

Here is an interesting video breaking down Haskins skill set.

1 minute ago, ericsvibe said:

I guess I will be the first to jump on the trade up for Haskins. Haskins is a proven winner, his biggest performances in college came against the best teams they faced. He constantly rises to the occasion. His arm strength is off the charts, he can make off platform throws deep down the field, with perfect accuracy. In the bowl game I watched him throw across his body, without setting his feet, using just his arm, and make a perfect throw to a RB coming out of the backfield. It was a Mahomes type of pass. The defense had no idea he was about to throw the football, the LB was still tracking Haskins, which allowed the RB to run a clean route, and pick up a huge chunk of yardage on a third and long. Haskins understands what the defense is doing, he knows how to manipulate the pocket to create throwing lanes. Is he a perfect QB, no. He really needs to work on his mechanics, but that is something that is teachable. His raw play making ability is something that you can't learn, his arm is golden, and he loves the game of football. He comes from a good background, and is as clean of a prospect as you can find. He is a true franchise QB. I know that many people here have hyped the 2020 QB class, and that hype may be affecting the 2019 draft. It has been reported that most of the teams in the top 5 want to trade down, as GM's want to load up for 2020. That has lowered the asking price of teams wanting to trade up. Don't get me wrong, it will still be expensive to move up to the 1st pick, but not multiple firsts round picks. Miami will have to beat the offer from the Jags, as they are the only team that is currently being mentioned as wanting to move up. I really don't care what it costs Miami, Haskins has the same "it" factor that Baker Mayfield had last year, and that type of leadership is sorely needed in Miami. The Dolphins need hope more than anything, with a new young HC, paired with a young QB, it could finally be the spark to get Miami out of the doghouse. Why do we need to wait another year to get a QB, when we can get one this year. Here is an excerpt from a draft analyst about Haskins.

has good overall athletic ability with quick feet and good change of direction--------has a good feel for pass rushers and shows he can extend plays with his feet-----has a very quick overhand delivery and a quick release-----has shown the ability to make quick decisions and get the ball out of his hand-----nearly 72 percent completion rate shows, he is very accurate-----his ball placement is very good-----can consistently put the ball where it won’t get broken up or intercepted------poise in the pocket-----reads the field well, shows he can go through a progression and find the open receiver-----very good arm strength, can zip it when he has to and throws a tight but catchable ball-----

Here is an interesting video breaking down Haskins skill set.

I’m big on Haskins......I just don’t think we have the firepower to move up to #1 for him, which is where I think he gets drafted.

I love the idea of Haskins as a Dolphin.  I think he’s a top 10 pick in any draft this decade.  He has the tangibles and the production as well as the big game experience.  To move up to number 1 I think we would have to give up #13, and our 2nd rounder, as well as a 2020 1st rounder.  It’s a lot but even if we did give that I would personally be fine with that........I think Haskins is legit and would be a great player to build a franchise around.  I just don’t see Grier doing it, and that’s why I went with the Foles option.

9 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Hey Phin fans, question here. Is Robert Quinn likely to be cut this offseason at 13 million considering he’s unlikely to be traded for that salary?

How did he play this season?

I'm not sure, wouldn't surprise me if he was a cap casualty but I don't think he's a lock to be cut, either. Probably will have a lot to do with whether whoever our new coaching staff is likes him.

He played better than his 6.5 sack stat line indicated. Got good pressure, probably by far our most consistent pass rusher this past season.

15 hours ago, SmittyBacall said:

Hey Phin fans, question here. Is Robert Quinn likely to be cut this offseason at 13 million considering he’s unlikely to be traded for that salary?

How did he play this season?

I think he is cut. Would bring him back on a third of the price. He did ok.