Jump to content
Rgossett07

Draft Discussion 2019

Recommended Posts

Some new rumors for the fire. Murray is a lock at #1, and it seems that the Redskins are the favorite to land Rosen. Per a source in the Dolphins, the team isn't interested in Rosen as his play style doesn't fit what Flores wants. The Dolphins appear to be locked in on a DE in round 1, however that can change if Juwaun James doesn't resign. Flores doesn't feel there is a starter on the team at RT, so if James goes to the highest bidder, than the Dolphins may be forced to select an OT at #13. Good news is that due to the rush of great defensive prospects, Miami may be able to select their top OT target at #13. The name being brought up is Jonah Williams. JW has a prototypical build for RT at 6-4, 302 lbs, 33 inch arms, he put up 23 reps on the bench and completed the 3 cone in 4.79 which shows his quick feet. JW is the ultimate technician, he has near perfect hand placement, anticipates what the defender is doing to mirror. He was a starter for 2 years at RT, so he knows both sides. I know he isn't the sexiest pick, but we have to build the trenches on both sides, and being able to land the #1 RT prospect in the draft will help the Dolphins no matter who plays QB. Also, those who want to tank for Tua, JW is his LT so the transition would be seamless. On to the other QB's in this draft, as it is apparent that Miami is going to draft one. Will Grier has been talked about a lot, and it seems that after the combine teams have him in the 3rd to 5th round range. If he was on the board in the 4th, he would be a solid selection. He is the type of gritty QB that fits Flores mentality. Another name to keep an eye on is Jarrett Stidham. He also is in the 3rd to 5th range. A third option that could be available in the 6th to 7th is Easton Stick. ES has some good tape, and he has solid measurables. Stick is a scrambling QB that excels when the play breaks down. He isn't perfect by any means, but there is a lot to build on. He has Mahomes level pocket awareness and ability to escape the rush. The offense he played in used a ton of play action, so ES has lots of experience getting his head around and finding the open receiver. He has plenty of arm strength, and can make every throw. His negatives are he hasn't been asked to pick a defense apart. He had 2 reads to make in college. Because of this he can telegraph his throw. ES also didn't have a very advanced playbook, so there is the chance that the NFL game could be hard for him to adjust to. Again, the type of QB that you take a chance on to see if he can develop.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, ericsvibe said:

JW has a prototypical build for RT at 6-4, 302 lbs

Seems a little small for a prototype RT.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
34 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

Seems a little small for a prototype RT.

I hope you’re information is wrong. This would be an example of drafting for need and not BPA. Dolphins are in no way in a position to draft for need. That would mean they would have this guy ranked very high on their board. 

 

With so much talent on the D Line in the draft,  I can’t imagine Miami going in this direction. But who knows. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Really positive feeling about the new-look Dolphins. Isn't it weird that the actual GM gets quoted often, instead of some shadowy nefarious 'above the GM' position like the past few years? Hi my name is Chris Grier, and because of team weirdness you might not know me but I've been the GM for THREE YEARS already hence you prolly never heard of me til now...

Don't care about the draft other than BPA, possibly trading down to stockpile picks, and do NOT take a QB with their 1st-rder. A proper ground-up rebuild means you strip the machine to bare bits and add new pieces with the draft. No big FA contracts, none, nada. 

Let's go Flores. You got a lotta people rooting for you. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
3 hours ago, FinSting said:

Really positive feeling about the new-look Dolphins. Isn't it weird that the actual GM gets quoted often, instead of some shadowy nefarious 'above the GM' position like the past few years? Hi my name is Chris Grier, and because of team weirdness you might not know me but I've been the GM for THREE YEARS already hence you prolly never heard of me til now...

Don't care about the draft other than BPA, possibly trading down to stockpile picks, and do NOT take a QB with their 1st-rder. A proper ground-up rebuild means you strip the machine to bare bits and add new pieces with the draft. No big FA contracts, none, nada. 

Let's go Flores. You got a lotta people rooting for you. 

Amen brother!!!! I’m on the same page as you!,,

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
12 hours ago, Rgossett07 said:

With so much talent on the D Line in the draft,  I can’t imagine Miami going in this direction. But who knows. 

I'd prefer Sweat, Ferrell, or Gary. But Ed Oliver next to Godcheaux would look great.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

A couple of lesser known players that have to be on our radar:

Justin Hollins, Oregon OLB / Edge defender.  6’5” , 248 lbs, 4.51 40, 25 reps.  Great measurables for the position.  East West Shrine game Defensive MVP with 10 tackles, 3 for a loss, and 2 sacks.  He’s a 2nd round pick and possibly early 3rd IMO.

Trysten Hill, UCF DT / NT.  6’3”, 308 lbs, 5.05 40, 28 reps.  Questions about him not being a starter in his final year at UCF and it being an amazing Defensive talent draft should push his stock down to a 3rd and possibly a 4th.  Has the measurables and could likely add another 10-15 pounds of muscle before 2020 to be that transitional DT / NT that we will need to run a hybrid front.

I expect us to not only be looking at great production defenders but defenders that can play multiple positions up front.  That’s the type of players we will need to be successful running hybrid front on defense.

In the first round I expect us to seriously be targeting DE / OLB Montez Sweat and DE / DT Rashawn Gary.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
22 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

A couple of lesser known players that have to be on our radar:

Justin Hollins, Oregon OLB / Edge defender.  6’5” , 248 lbs, 4.51 40, 25 reps.  Great measurables for the position.  East West Shrine game Defensive MVP with 10 tackles, 3 for a loss, and 2 sacks.  He’s a 2nd round pick and possibly early 3rd IMO.

Trysten Hill, UCF DT / NT.  6’3”, 308 lbs, 5.05 40, 28 reps.  Questions about him not being a starter in his final year at UCF and it being an amazing Defensive talent draft should push his stock down to a 3rd and possibly a 4th.  Has the measurables and could likely add another 10-15 pounds of muscle before 2020 to be that transitional DT / NT that we will need to run a hybrid front.

I expect us to not only be looking at great production defenders but defenders that can play multiple positions up front.  That’s the type of players we will need to be successful running hybrid front on defense.

In the first round I expect us to seriously be targeting DE / OLB Montez Sweat and DE / DT Rashawn Gary.

I'd be fine with both. In this draft, Hill might be a R6 guy.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, freak_of_nature said:

I'd be fine with both. In this draft, Hill might be a R6 guy.

R5-R6 is where I initially had Hill, but I think his measurables and combine performance bumps him up to at least a 4th.  Depends on his interviews somewhat I suppose.

Edited by Swampbilly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Flowers signs with the Lions. I wonder if that takes them out the DE market at 8.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, Emerica said:

Flowers signs with the Lions. I wonder if that takes them out the DE market at 8.

I see them looking for an edge defender still but likely a 3-4 OLB.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go DE Montez Sweat since he demonstrates the speed and explosion to play the 3-4 OLB spot.  I’m sure they would love for OLB Josh Allen to fall to them but that’s not likely.  If Sweat and Allen are off the board then I expect Detroit to go OLine, DLine, CB.

There is of course the chance they see Clellin Ferrell as a hybrid type edge defender too in which case he could be their guy.

Rumor is Denver is making a push for Juwaun James and will likely land him.  If that’s the case I still see us going Defense / QB in round 1 , but likely a Right Tackle in round 2.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
On 3/11/2019 at 8:30 PM, Swampbilly said:

I see them looking for an edge defender still but likely a 3-4 OLB.  I wouldn’t be surprised to see them go DE Montez Sweat since he demonstrates the speed and explosion to play the 3-4 OLB spot.  I’m sure they would love for OLB Josh Allen to fall to them but that’s not likely.  If Sweat and Allen are off the board then I expect Detroit to go OLine, DLine, CB.

There is of course the chance they see Clellin Ferrell as a hybrid type edge defender too in which case he could be their guy.

Rumor is Denver is making a push for Juwaun James and will likely land him.  If that’s the case I still see us going Defense / QB in round 1 , but likely a Right Tackle in round 2.

Depth needs to be acquired, but just let Jesse Davis play RT this year.  I didn't think his play was that bad at all when he was filling in for James.  Interior O-line needs to be the focus, IMO.  There should be a really good D-lineman available at 13, and hopefully one of the good C/OG is there in the 2nd.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

You guys don’t even have a 2nd string caliber QB on the roster. Haskins and Murray will both be gone. Probably both going Top 3. Lock might even be gone too and I certainly don’t think he’s worth a 1st Rounder anyways. 

Wonder if McKenzie would give pick 13 for Carr since he’s the one who drafted Carr? Rumors Raiders will trade up for Murray. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

You guys don’t even have a 2nd string caliber QB on the roster. Haskins and Murray will both be gone. Probably both going Top 3. Lock might even be gone too and I certainly don’t think he’s worth a 1st Rounder anyways. 

Wonder if McKenzie would give pick 13 for Carr since he’s the one who drafted Carr? Rumors Raiders will trade up for Murray. 

Only way we trade for Carr at his current salary is if it’s for a late round pick.  I just don’t see anyone giving up a top 20 pick for Carr because of his contract.  Additionally I don’t see the Raiders looking to move Carr this year.  Carr would have to agree to a new contract before the Raiders got that type of compensation for him, and why would Carr do that?  He doesn’t appear to really want out of the Raiders organization and the Raiders appear to be intent on putting pieces around Carr, at least for the 2019 season.  Carr gets paid better than all but 5 NFL QB’s......He’s a good QB and I would love to see him as a Dolphin but not with that salary and definitely not for a first round pick......or a second or third for that matter.

Doesn’t matter what McKenzie wants.......he isn’t the GM and isn’t calling the shots.......almost like it was for him in Oakland LOL..

At this point it’s much more likely we are working on a trade for Colts Backup Jacoby Brisett than Carr.  We are looking for a QB that can play for cheap ( which is why Bridgewater and Taylor signed elsewhere).......$5 Mil or less per season appears to be the magic number.

Edited by Swampbilly

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×