Draft Discussion 2019

Rgossett07

3 hours ago, BayRaider said:

You guys don’t even have a 2nd string caliber QB on the roster. Haskins and Murray will both be gone. Probably both going Top 3. Lock might even be gone too and I certainly don’t think he’s worth a 1st Rounder anyways. 

Wonder if McKenzie would give pick 13 for Carr since he’s the one who drafted Carr? Rumors Raiders will trade up for Murray. 

McKenzie is a senior advisor, not the GM. No one is trading you a top-15 pick for Carr, certainly not with the way he's played the past two seasons with that salary.

We'll give ya a 4th

Edited by Emerica

Hey guys!

Doing a mock draft where every forum picks their guy. You guys are on the clock!

So far we have:

1) Kyler Murray

2) Nick Bosa

3) Josh Allen

4) Quinnen Williams

5) Devin White

6) Dwayne Haskins

7) Jawaan Taylor

8) Ed Oliver

9) TJ Hockenson

10) Devin Bush

11) Cody Ford

12) Brian Burns

As soon as I get two posters to reach the same name, the pick will be official. 

4 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Hey guys!

Doing a mock draft where every forum picks their guy. You guys are on the clock!

So far we have:

1) Kyler Murray

2) Nick Bosa

3) Josh Allen

4) Quinnen Williams

5) Devin White

6) Dwayne Haskins

7) Jawaan Taylor

8) Ed Oliver

9) TJ Hockenson

10) Devin Bush

11) Cody Ford

12) Brian Burns

Rashawn Gary DE Michigan

20 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Hey guys!

So far we have:

1) Kyler Murray

2) Nick Bosa

3) Josh Allen

4) Quinnen Williams

5) Devin White

6) Dwayne Haskins

7) Jawaan Taylor

8) Ed Oliver

9) TJ Hockenson

10) Devin Bush

11) Cody Ford

12) Brian Burns

Jawa'an Taylor, RT Gators

On 3/20/2019 at 11:59 AM, hrubes20 said:

x3, or Montez Sweat

I went with Gary over Sweat because of Scheme fit.  I’m more certain of Gary fitting well playing both 3/4 DE and 4/3 DE as well as a 3 tech DT in a 4/3 NASCAR package.......Whereas I think Sweat can be a stand up 3/4 OLB and a hand in the dirt 4/3 DE and be good at it, I think it would take Sweat a few years whereas I could see Gary having a seamless immediate transition.  If we were still playing the wide 9 tech then Sweat would be a perfect DE for that scheme.  Additionally I feel like Gary has a higher ceiling than Sweat.

I would be happy with either player at 13, but I feel there’s a little more value going with Gary.

20 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

I went with Gary over Sweat because of Scheme fit.  I’m more certain of Gary fitting well playing both 3/4 DE and 4/3 DE as well as a 3 tech DT in a 4/3 NASCAR package.......Whereas I think Sweat can be a stand up 3/4 OLB and a hand in the dirt 4/3 DE and be good at it, I think it would take Sweat a few years whereas I could see Gary having a seamless immediate transition.  If we were still playing the wide 9 tech then Sweat would be a perfect DE for that scheme.  Additionally I feel like Gary has a higher ceiling than Sweat.

I would be happy with either player at 13, but I feel there’s a little more value going with Gary.

Gary hasn't shown enough pass-rushing chops to be a 4/3 DE to me, but I do think he would be a really good 3/4 DE and the aforementioned 3 tech DT.  I still would really be on board with the pick though, as it appears we are definitely going back to a 3/4.  I just think Sweat could be a monster as a 3/4 OLB.  

23 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Gary hasn't shown enough pass-rushing chops to be a 4/3 DE to me, but I do think he would be a really good 3/4 DE and the aforementioned 3 tech DT.  I still would really be on board with the pick though, as it appears we are definitely going back to a 3/4.  I just think Sweat could be a monster as a 3/4 OLB.  

I agree.  The more I watch Sweat the more he reminds me of Javon Kearse, who had a monster rookie season and a pretty good overall career.

One thing to keep in mind is that the Dolphins are more than likely going to convert Charles Harris to OLB. Harris played in college at 6-3 250 lbs. The Dolphins made a huge mistake asking him to bulk up to 270 lbs. Harris should be able to get back down to 250 lbs and be the strong side OLB in a 3-4. That kinda explains why the Dolphins are looking for "true" DE's, and not hybrid DE's in the draft. We could open the season with Harrs, Baker, McMillan, and Alonzo at LB. Grier again made a comment that the Dolphins want to add picks, again hinting that they will be looking to trade down from 13 to get some extra picks. Here is the latest on how the Draft is breaking down. The Jets, Lions, and Dolphins all want to trade down, wich could lower the value that Miami could get with the teams competing against each other. Besides teams that might want to trade into the top 5 for a QB, there hasn't been a lot of rumors of teams wanting to move up. The Dolphins may be forced to pick at 13. If the Dolphins pick at 13 here are the names that have been discussed in the media, based on how much time the Dolphins have spent with these players. QB Drew Lock, I doubt he is there. QB Daniel Jones, more of a possibility, but still could be gone. DE Clelin Ferrell, at 6-4 264lbs he fits the mold of a versatile DE that Miami is looking for. But again, he also may not be there, as some of the other DE's have some issues that may cause them to drop.

22 hours ago, ericsvibe said:

One thing to keep in mind is that the Dolphins are more than likely going to convert Charles Harris to OLB. Harris played in college at 6-3 250 lbs. The Dolphins made a huge mistake asking him to bulk up to 270 lbs. Harris should be able to get back down to 250 lbs and be the strong side OLB in a 3-4. That kinda explains why the Dolphins are looking for "true" DE's, and not hybrid DE's in the draft. We could open the season with Harrs, Baker, McMillan, and Alonzo at LB. Grier again made a comment that the Dolphins want to add picks, again hinting that they will be looking to trade down from 13 to get some extra picks. Here is the latest on how the Draft is breaking down. The Jets, Lions, and Dolphins all want to trade down, wich could lower the value that Miami could get with the teams competing against each other. Besides teams that might want to trade into the top 5 for a QB, there hasn't been a lot of rumors of teams wanting to move up. The Dolphins may be forced to pick at 13. If the Dolphins pick at 13 here are the names that have been discussed in the media, based on how much time the Dolphins have spent with these players. QB Drew Lock, I doubt he is there. QB Daniel Jones, more of a possibility, but still could be gone. DE Clelin Ferrell, at 6-4 264lbs he fits the mold of a versatile DE that Miami is looking for. But again, he also may not be there, as some of the other DE's have some issues that may cause them to drop.

I rage quit if they draft either Lock or Jones at 13.  

On 3/29/2019 at 10:51 AM, hrubes20 said:

I rage quit if they draft either Lock or Jones at 13.  

Me too.  I’m not a big fan of Lock anywhere before the top 25 picks......and I’m fighting back the urge to vomit just thinking that any team is considering Jones as a first round pick.

Lock has upside, but is a true project QB with big accuracy issues.

Jones is athletic for a man his size, but that’s about it.

My QB evaluation tells me the top QB’s in this draft are; Haskins, Murray, Grier and in that order.........Beyond that I like Lock and Stidham but I don’t see either as a capable starter in the NFL until maybe year 3.

On 3/28/2019 at 12:05 PM, ericsvibe said:

Kind of confused.  Are you saying we are looking for “true” DE’s as in a traditional 4-3 DE or or a “versatile” DE that can play in multiple fronts successfully.......as in 4-3 and a 3-4?????  I’m reading it as if you are saying both.......to me a “versatile” DE, a “hybrid” DE, and a tweener DE are all pretty much the same thing.

My opinion is that we are really looking for a 3-4 OLB regardless of what we want to call him.  There’s 2 positions that we don’t currently have on our roster to play the kind of Defensive front we want.  That’s a true NT and a 3-4 OLB.  Harris might be better as a 3-4 OLB but we will still need 1 more.