Draft Discussion 2019

Rgossett07

2 minutes ago, Rgossett07 said:

Haskins is an upgraded, more advanced version of Mitchell Trubisky.

1 hour ago, Rgossett07 said:

Ok.....I did what you told me to and I read it.  The author doesn’t give any specific reason why he feels Haskins isn’t a 1st round talent.......and to prove my point that Haskins is a first round talent I will go out on a limb here ( sarcasm LOL ) and bet you and that author a full weeks pay ( 1/4 of my monthly retirement check LOL ) that Haskins is indeed drafted in the first round of the 2019 NFL draft......LOL!!!  Of course I’m joking around because we pretty much know he will go top 10 if not number 1 overall.  Also, keep in mind that the people that will draft Haskins make more money than me, likely you, and the author of that meaningless article combined.

I’ve come a long way over the past 10 years in evaluating QBs and I want to give you my evaluation of Haskins in short.

Weaknesses; Small sample size / not a multi year starter, Gets flustered during progressions when pressured inside and isn’t allowed to climb the pocket......Needs improvement on deep ball accuracy....Can sometimes cover too much ground in his back pedal which can throw off timing and make it more difficult for edge blockers ( OTs ).

Strengths;  Experienced QB that excels and Wins with the game on his shoulders despite only 1 year as a starter,  Demonstrates progression reads when first read breaks down,  Elite intermediate accuracy and ball placement from the pocket, Great awareness of when to step up and avoid edge rushers while still reading progressions, Acceleration and foot speed good enough to make and extend plays when things go wrong, Doesn’t commit big turnover when pressured and overall has taken care of the ball, Has big arm talent combined with the confidence and precision to beat zone and soft man coverage consistently.

His weaknesses are very common and normally easily fixed whereas his strengths are very desirable QB abilities.  I see a guy that is a first round pick in just about every draft in history, except for perhaps ‘83 but maybe even in that draft.

Edited by Swampbilly

1 hour ago, freak_of_nature said:

Haskins is an upgraded, more advanced version of Mitchell Trubisky.

Not a bad thing since Trubisky was drafted 2nd overall and has had some success, primarily last season.......But a more advanced version of Trubisky doesn’t tell us much really, kind of like the rest of the article LOL.  How much more advanced and how so?  Pretty uninformative article overall.

I see Haskins as light years ahead of Trubisky at this stage in both of their collegiate careers.  Even though Trubisky was drafted 2nd by Chicago, and even though he has had some success recently, Mahomes and Watson have clearly been the better QBs.  I have to admit that Mahomes level of success has been surprising since he basically had one of the best statistical seasons of any NFL QB ever last season, and I didn’t see that coming and no one else did either, but Watson hasn’t surprised me at all.  I was shocked that any QB in that class was drafted ahead of Watson and despite Trubisky’s success I would still draft Watson ahead of Trubisky every time.

Edited by Swampbilly

4 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

Not a bad thing since Trubisky was drafted 2nd overall and has had some success, primarily last season.......But a more advanced version of Trubisky doesn’t tell us much really, kind of like the rest of the article LOL.  How much more advanced and how so?  Pretty uninformative article overall.

I don't really like the comparison because Haskins hasn't demonstrated the mobility/athleticism Trubisjy has.

1 hour ago, freak_of_nature said:

I don't really like the comparison because Haskins hasn't demonstrated the mobility/athleticism Trubisjy has.

I wasn’t thinking about running plays but you’re correct.  Trubisky is a much more natural and fluid runner, and probably faster too.  Haskins definitely isn’t a run first QB and shouldn’t be any kind of running threat in the NFL......and really wasn’t in the NCAA either.  Here’s a link with video clips of his running highlights.

https://thebiglead.com/2019/02/09/here-are-all-the-dwyane-haskins-rushing-highlights/

So, I just heard a very interesting conversation about Murray. One of the draft analysts was discussing possible fits for Murray. Basically what he said was that Murray is the type of QB that you have to design an offense around. The journalist said that he has spoken to several current GM's about Murray, and they all agree that he will have to play out of the shotgun. Due to the size of his stride he won't be able to get far enough away from the O-line to pull off a 3 step drop from behind center. The NFL GM's feel that Murray has to go to a team that is willing to start the offense from scratch and build around him. The GM's admitted that in a perfect world Murray would be a 2nd round pick based on his measurables, but he will go in the first based on talent and need. So getting back to Miami, the reason that most draft analysts have Murray going to Miami is due to the fact that Miami has the ability to build an offense from scratch around Murray. The analysts didn't think that any other team had that luxury, as the Jaguars, Giants, have offensive systems in place that Murray won't fit into. I personally think that it is going to come down to the interview. If Murray is able to blow Grier and Flores away, I think that they are confident enough to draft him, even at 13. One analyst said that if Murray gets to Miami at 13, they could even trade back 5 or so spots and still draft him as the teams in the back of the first round wouldn't have any interest in Murray, as he can't even be a back up on most NFL rosters.

1 hour ago, ericsvibe said:

So, I just heard a very interesting conversation about Murray. One of the draft analysts was discussing possible fits for Murray. Basically what he said was that Murray is the type of QB that you have to design an offense around. The journalist said that he has spoken to several current GM's about Murray, and they all agree that he will have to play out of the shotgun. Due to the size of his stride he won't be able to get far enough away from the O-line to pull off a 3 step drop from behind center. The NFL GM's feel that Murray has to go to a team that is willing to start the offense from scratch and build around him. The GM's admitted that in a perfect world Murray would be a 2nd round pick based on his measurables, but he will go in the first based on talent and need. So getting back to Miami, the reason that most draft analysts have Murray going to Miami is due to the fact that Miami has the ability to build an offense from scratch around Murray. The analysts didn't think that any other team had that luxury, as the Jaguars, Giants, have offensive systems in place that Murray won't fit into. I personally think that it is going to come down to the interview. If Murray is able to blow Grier and Flores away, I think that they are confident enough to draft him, even at 13. One analyst said that if Murray gets to Miami at 13, they could even trade back 5 or so spots and still draft him as the teams in the back of the first round wouldn't have any interest in Murray, as he can't even be a back up on most NFL rosters.

My crystal ball shows Murray being drafted in the top 10.......and unless I’m seeing it wrong, top 7.  When looking at QBs current draft order is pretty much irrelevant because of the draft inflation of the position.  A QB needy team will move ahead of us at 13 much like last years draft.

Personally I think we should give up pick 13, our second rounder, our 1st round pick next year and a player to Arizona for the first pick and a swap of 3rd round picks.  Draft Haskins or Murray, whichever the GM, coach, and owner agree on.  My reason being that the number 1 overall pick will be easier to acquire this year than in the 2020 QB heavy draft and the only way to be sure you get the QB you truly covet is to have the first overall pick.

If I’m wrong and Murray is somehow available at 13 then I think we have to be bold and draft him with the idea of playing a lot of shotgun and spread.

Edited by Swampbilly
  • Like 1

So far Murray has been successfully checking the boxes at the combine.  Word coming out is that he was measured slightly taller than his reported 5’10” (5’10 and 1/8 “) and weighed in at 207 lbs with a very good hand size of 9.5”.  Compare that to Russell Wilson’s 5’11”, 204lbs, and monstrous 10.25” hand size.  So far he is very close to Wilson’s measurable except for hand size.

Wilson ran a 4.55 40, and I doubt Murray runs but I’m hoping he will to give us a comparison.  Whether Murray runs at the combine, his pro day, or both I expect him to be sub 4.5.........if he does that and throws well at his pro day then we would be lucky if he’s still available at 13.  The QB inflation is real!!!!!

2 hours ago, Swampbilly said:

So far Murray has been successfully checking the boxes at the combine.  Word coming out is that he was measured slightly taller than his reported 5’10” (5’10 and 1/8 “) and weighed in at 207 lbs with a very good hand size of 9.5”.  Compare that to Russell Wilson’s 5’11”, 204lbs, and monstrous 10.25” hand size.  So far he is very close to Wilson’s measurable except for hand size.

Wilson ran a 4.55 40, and I doubt Murray runs but I’m hoping he will to give us a comparison.  Whether Murray runs at the combine, his pro day, or both I expect him to be sub 4.5.........if he does that and throws well at his pro day then we would be lucky if he’s still available at 13.  The QB inflation is real!!!!!

Murray won't run at the combine, which is predictable.  He beefed up to weigh in at 207 to try and ease concerns about his size.  He will slim down over the next month or so, so that he can run at his pro day at his playing weight of 195.  I still want to stay away.

34 minutes ago, hrubes20 said:

Murray won't run at the combine, which is predictable.  He beefed up to weigh in at 207 to try and ease concerns about his size.  He will slim down over the next month or so, so that he can run at his pro day at his playing weight of 195.  I still want to stay away.

I heard the main reason he's not throwing at the combine is because he's never been 207 before and his throwing may be affected. 

20 hours ago, hrubes20 said:

Staying away from Murray is the safe bet, and I can’t blame you for that decision.  I’m just ready to see us go all in and start grabbing the best QBs we can get, by any means, until we have our guy.  I feel like if we drafted Murray and he just doesn’t look like our guy after a season or two then don’t be afraid to move on and take a shot on another QB ASAP.  That’s what hinders teams that miss on a QB.  Coaches and GMs are afraid to move on and understandably so since their jobs are on the line.  Nevertheless, my take has become keep asking girls to dance until one says yes.

What are you all's feelings on Josh Rosen, read that the Cards my draft QB at # 1 and move on from Rosen. I was not high on Rosen and I was glad Miami drafted Fits, but after a year in the league what did Rosen look like. I watched zero Cards games and did no pay ant attention to Rosen but know it was not good , was it all bad on him or was it a bad team or both?

14 hours ago, Dolphinmeister said:

What are you all's feelings on Josh Rosen, read that the Cards my draft QB at # 1 and move on from Rosen. I was not high on Rosen and I was glad Miami drafted Fits, but after a year in the league what did Rosen look like. I watched zero Cards games and did no pay ant attention to Rosen but know it was not good , was it all bad on him or was it a bad team or both?

I like Rosen’s skill set and capabilities, but the way he comes across can be a bit annoying / abrasive.  That being said I obviously don’t know him personally so I’ve only seen very limited media coverage.  He’s also had some durability concerns if I remember correctly.  I would be willing to trade for Rosen, but we would have to find a way to do it without giving up pick 13.

Rumor is Bellicheat loved Rosen in last years draft and is expected to have some interest in acquiring him.

If we could get Rosen with our second round pick or maybe even a player plus our second rounder then that would be a nice acquisition IMO.  Just an FYI Rosen’s cap hit would be extremely team friendly for us or whatever team acquires him.

Edited by Swampbilly