Browns to name Freddie Kitchens as Head Coach

49erurtaza

10 minutes ago, El ramster said:

I remember y’all hyped and not wanting him to leave as the offense was dynamic with him as OC. As a HC was a different story. Like I said I’m not a fan but only time will tell. If you’re happy with the move! Goff bless! You got your guy. 

We were all hyped because we thought we might land Chip Kelly. Kelly has like a 10-12 interview/meeting with him. 

4 minutes ago, Forge said:

The last time I can remember something like this happening, the 49ers offered Gase the HC job on the condition that he retain tomsula as DC. That pretty much ended up being a disaster for everyone lol

But honestly, it's good that McCarthy declined. It may not work out with kitchens, but that would have made the situation awkward from the jump. 

Agreed, especially considering McCarthy is not a first time HC.  He isn't looking for less power then his previous job.  Interesting to see the staff Kitchens will assemble.  Most of the band has already been put back together by Arians in Tampa.

6 minutes ago, topwop1 said:

Browns made a mistake by not promoting Kitchens over Williams earlier in the season, otherwise they could have probably still kept Williams on as DC and rolled with Freddie like nothing ever happened.

Either way I think this is a decent hire all things considered.

I don't think the Browns wanted to retain Williams anyway.  He really wasn't doing a great job as DC.  Ironically, he did a pretty good job as interim HC, but there were still enough telltale signs that he wasn't great at that either.

• Like 2

50 minutes ago, MKnight82 said:

This guy was QB position coach like 2 months ago right?  He might be a smart playcaller and gameplanner, but there's a big difference in being ready to run everything as Head Coach IMO.

Shouldn’t he have shown issues of not being prepared by struggling as an OC. Dude got the promotion and hit the ground running. When it was his offense, it was one of the best offenses in the league. I’ve said this many times. What kitchen did for the offense was more than call plays and game plan. Plenty of the beat writers in Cleveland talk about how great he is at communicating with his players and staff members. How organized and efficiently he was running the offense. For the success they were having, Freddie was showing a lot more than what you would expect from  interim OC. Freddie has been around some great coaches and prolly has learn a thing or two.

Edited by buno67

1 hour ago, El ramster said:

Idk. Many and many of you guys were saying the same thing about Rob Chudzinskey. The same thing you’re saying about Kitches was said about Rob. I know how hyped y’all were. Hey I wish this works out but seems like it’ll back fire. I hope not. 

It's perhaps easier to move on from a guy like Kitchens than from a more experienced candidate.

If it doesn't work out in a year or two then perhaps Lincoln Riley is available.

Kitchens did a great job with Baker this year. But, don't kill me for this, this situation reminds me of the Giants hiring Ben Mcadoo as HC a few years ago. Rose up the ranks quickly, ownership was going to try to force him on an outside HC hire, wanted to maintain continuity, got some looks outside the organization, so they decided to hire him outright. It obviously didn't work out. I really hope this works out for Cleveland though, for the fans sake. They at least made a great subsequent move by firing Gregg Williams, so they are on the right track.

Just now, minutemancl said:

Kitchens did a great job with Baker this year. But, don't kill me for this, this situation reminds me of the Giants hiring Ben Mcadoo as HC a few years ago. Rose up the ranks quickly, ownership was going to try to force him on an outside HC hire, wanted to maintain continuity, got some looks outside the organization, so they decided to hire him outright. It obviously didn't work out. I really hope this works out for Cleveland though, for the fans sake. They at least made a great subsequent move by firing Gregg Williams, so they are on the right track.

It stinks of the Redskins hiring Jim Zorn too.  

3 hours ago, AFlaccoSeagulls said:

Let's compromise and say that Kitchens is the Zodiac Killer and California is the Scranton Strangler and call it a day.

Also let's agree that Gregg Williams shouldn't even be a coach in the NFL after Bountygate.

And Rey Lweis shouldn't be in the HOF after murder, apples and oranges.

1 hour ago, topwop1 said:

Browns made a mistake by not promoting Kitchens over Williams earlier in the season, otherwise they could have probably still kept Williams on as DC and rolled with Freddie like nothing ever happened.

Either way I think this is a decent hire all things considered.

No one has that take, you cant have 3 head coaches in a season. 

William's is  bette head coach than DC anyway, he under preformed with the talent we have on defense

1 minute ago, brownie man said:

My gut doesn’t believe this 

if we actually wanted Mike he wouldve been here 

we wanted Freddie

Maybe. I don't think its unbelievable, though I don't know why you would do that if you're Dorsey. I find that kind of stuff to be amateur hour with a guy who has 10+ years HC experience, some success and a super bowl (even if I'm not a McCarthy fan). Dorsey strikes me as the alpha control freak type that would throw down something like this, but he's been doing this for too long for me to believe he would do something asinine like that , particularly given the weird and awkward way the staff started this season. Seems bizarre to want to start next season with some awkwardness in the staff as well. 

That being said, even if it is true, it doesn't matter in the least. The outcome was ultimately probably the better one.