Mort says it's Freddie

ReggieCamp

With that Hard Knocks thing I can appreciate where Hue was coming from.

It wasn’t his data that was saying to give guys off days, it was the training staff’s analysis of when soft tissue injuries occur and how to prevent them.  Nothing wrong with deferring to the experts.  

That said, Kitchen’s idea of being dressed and a part of the drills without participating was a great one tbh.  You have the player taking “mental reps” and helping their teammates while getting the rest they need instead of dickering aroud on stationary bikes.

Haley’s approach is antiquated lacks any thought, much like his playcalling.

• Like 1

1 hour ago, LETSGOBROWNIES said:

With that Hard Knocks thing I can appreciate where Hue was coming from.

It wasn’t his data that was saying to give guys off days, it was the training staff’s analysis of when soft tissue injuries occur and how to prevent them.  Nothing wrong with deferring to the experts.  

That said, Kitchen’s idea of being dressed and a part of the drills without participating was a great one tbh.  You have the player taking “mental reps” and helping their teammates while getting the rest they need instead of dickering aroud on stationary bikes.

Haley’s approach is antiquated lacks any thought, much like his playcalling.

Todd Haley comes from the Bill Parcells train of thought. I understood his thought process slightly. You just came off a 0-16 season and guys are dorking around. When it’s always the same guys too it gets frustrating very quickly.

2 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Just doing some reading on Freddie and his Zona days. I think his scheme will be closer to Ken Whisenhunt than Bruce Arians. Arians system is notorious for getting QBs killed and having lots of turnovers.

Man, I keep forgetting we hired Monken.  As if we didn't have enough to be optimistic about lol.

• Like 3

The staples of Whisenhunt’s quick-strike system are underneath crossing routes that allow his personnel to feast on yards after the catch. Thus, a smooth marriage of closed tight end sets is established as these targets can quickly execute such crossers and prove to be reliable targets in their bevy of in-breaking routes off of play-action. It’s also not uncommon for Los Angeles to align a back to these closed formations and send them down the field in two-man route combos with the tight end, often on high-low concepts.

The Chargers’ heavy use of trips (was) poised to suit first round pick Mike Williams before news of the receiver’s injury indicated he will likely miss the entire season. The likes of Travis Benjamin and Tyrell Williams are vertical threats that can stretch the field, while Williams’ size and physicality would’ve provided quarterback Philip Rivers with an intermediate threat who would have ample space to work with and a lethal red zone threat due to his ability to box corners out and go up get it.

https://lastwordonprofootball.com/2017/08/15/breakdown-look-la-chargers-schematic-philosophy/

Quick strikes underneath and trips formation. Yeah that’s Freddie. Obviously Monken may inject his own flavor into the offense.

Edited by candyman93

I’m annoyed with how people critique Freddie for being inexperienced. He’s been on a super bowl team. He’s learned under Bill Parcells, Ken Whisenhunt, and Bruce Arians.

Sean McVay has had less experience coaching than Freddie. All he had was 1 1/2 years more experience as a offensive coordinator.

• Like 2

3 hours ago, candyman93 said:

Todd Haley comes from the Bill Parcells train of thought. I understood his thought process slightly. You just came off a 0-16 season and guys are dorking around. When it’s always the same guys too it gets frustrating very quickly.

I just think there’s a middle ground.

The old school methods have some value, but they lack decades of research and refinement.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

I’m annoyed with how people critique Freddie for being inexperienced. He’s been on a super bowl team. He’s learned under Bill Parcells, Ken Whisenhunt, and Bruce Arians.

Sean McVay has had less experience coaching than Freddie. All he had was 1 1/2 years more experience as a offensive coordinator.

I’ve said this before and will continue to say it, Freddie has been around the game for probably 35 years.  It’s football, not brain surgery.

Even if it were actual brain surgery, you could learn that too in much less time.

• Like 1

11 minutes ago, candyman93 said:

Good take. 

• Like 1

1 hour ago, candyman93 said:

I'm with you on this one my Brother.....

I did a write up a while back about this kid...and if ANYTHING people should be kicking their own areses as to how they missed this man....he has coached his way up through the ranks, having BEEN a multi year starter in the SEC at Alabama...and having coached Running backs, TE's (a WR crossed with an Olineman) and QB's at the small college, large college and pro level. His pedigree reads like Royalty....lets see who's he coached under.

He played under Gene Stallings.

He coached under Rick Trickett at Glenville State in 1999 (Trickett is an old and well respected college OLine coach, most recently serving as AsstHC/OL for Jimbo Fisher at FSU and he was there from 2007 to 2017.

He coached under Nick Saban at LSU in 2000

He was Darrell Dickey's RB coach and Run game coordinator at North Texas for a few years (Darrell Dickey is Texas A&M's current OC)...Kitchens coached the NCAA national rushing leaders Patrick Cobbs in 2003 and Jamario Thomas in 2004 (Kitchens left in 2003, which was Thomas's Jr. year)

Kitchens was hand picked by Sylvester Croom for his staff, when he became the first African American Head Football Coach in SEC history in 2004. First coaching TE's and then Running backs.

He was then tapped by Bill Parcells to come to Dallas and coach TE's for him there. Then he was tapped by Ken Whisenhunt after one year on Parcells staff to come to AZ for his first HC job.....and stayed on under Bruce Arians....

NOW IF THAT aint in impressive Resume......PLEASE tell me what is?!?!?!!!!

I think Mickey summed it up the best after reading this kids resume....

tenor.gif

Edited by DaWg_LB.
  • Like 3

• 4 months later...

I am sure Freddie blew the socks off of Dorsey with his qualifications. I also want to say what has really endeared me to the man was his second half performance of 2018. It was the first tangible evidence to us fans that the phoenix was indeed rising from the ashes.

The reason that I have the most confidence in Freddie is his people skills. Those skills align very closely with my own. Freddie, like we all do, deals with people from every walk of life. You cannot go overboard treating some players differently than others. The players will see right through him in a heartbeat if he is not genuine with them. That includes have the intestinal fortitude to tell them what they don't want to hear.

Make no mistake - Freddie is a genuine, warm, and caring coach on a human level. But be perfectly clear on this - he knows he was hired to be a football coach. He has NO PROBLEM chewing a player out when the situation warrants it. He is aware of his responsibilities, and if a player is standing in the way of meeting those responsibilities - he has no issue dressing down that player or releasing him.

I feel very good about the hire of Freddie, and I think that Dorsey got this one right.

Edited by brooks1957
  • Like 1