Broncos name Vic Fangio their next Head Coach

49erurtaza

Interesting development.  I'm really curious how Fangio will do as a HC.  He's established that he's a top tier DC, but that step up to HC can be a big one.  Getting the right coordinators around you to execute what you want done is a big part of that, especially these days it seems like.  Curious to see who he ends up with at OC, as he's probably going to need a strong candidate there to let him focus as much on the defense as you'd want, in addition to HC duties.

7 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What happened with him? I always thought he was a solid CB. I knew he had struggled lately but is he really that bad now?

He was average to solid and then this year, it's like he took a nose dive off of the Jason David on the Saints tree and hit every branch coming down.

He was ok as the 3rd corner playing on the outside with Talib and Harris, but this year he's had to face better WRs. 

26 minutes ago, RaidersAreOne said:

What happened with him? I always thought he was a solid CB. I knew he had struggled lately but is he really that bad now?

He was very good in his #3 nickle package role with Harris/Talib, he did 'okay' as a #2 this year and then only got worse when Harris was injured for the second half.

I think part of it was being put in a every down role for the first time mixed with Wade Phillips leaving. He was a stud at Ohio St, played great his first couple years with Wade as DC and then sort of took a step back the last 2 years. He has it in him and he still shows flashes from game to game, but he isnt nearly as consistent under Joe Woods as he was Wade Phillips. Hopefully the Broncos roll the dice with him and Fangio can bring him back to being good and at very worst he is a great #3 CB in nickle packages. 

The other thing I noticed with his decline was he seemed to play more aggressive/attacking/press with Wade, it seemed for the last 2 years under Woods he was playing less aggressive softer coverage with Woods. Hell, the whole defense played less aggressive and passive under Woods. 

9 minutes ago, AkronsWitness said:

He was very good in his #3 nickle package role with Harris/Talib, he did 'okay' as a #2 this year and then only got worse when Harris was injured for the second half.

I think part of it was being put in a every down role for the first time mixed with Wade Phillips leaving. He was a stud at Ohio St, played great his first couple years with Wade as DC and then sort of took a step back the last 2 years. He has it in him and he still shows flashes from game to game, but he isnt nearly as consistent under Joe Woods as he was Wade Phillips. Hopefully the Broncos roll the dice with him and Fangio can bring him back to being good and at very worst he is a great #3 CB in nickle packages. 

The other thing I noticed with his decline was he seemed to play more aggressive/attacking/press with Wade, it seemed for the last 2 years under Woods he was playing less aggressive softer coverage with Woods. Hell, the whole defense played less aggressive and passive under Woods. 

Pretty much this. Closed the year out terribly. 

13 hours ago, AkronsWitness said:

Agree with all of this. He has all of the physical ability and football IQ to be a starting CB in the NFL. What is most worrying about Roby is that he's a confidence player which is not good for a CB. When he was playing with Harris and Talib, with a dynamite pass rush he had that 'swag' you associate with top Corners.

However, as soon as things begin to turn sour for the unit as a whole and then he gets beat (like almost all Corners), his individual play suffers greatly. 

Someone could get an absolute steal with Roby this offseason if he finds that mojo. I would like to see him come back on a 1 or 2 year deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone throws significant cash at him just because of the potential I've eluded to.

On 1/17/2019 at 7:41 AM, lomaxgrUK said:

Agree with all of this. He has all of the physical ability and football IQ to be a starting CB in the NFL. What is most worrying about Roby is that he's a confidence player which is not good for a CB. When he was playing with Harris and Talib, with a dynamite pass rush he had that 'swag' you associate with top Corners.

However, as soon as things begin to turn sour for the unit as a whole and then he gets beat (like almost all Corners), his individual play suffers greatly. 

Someone could get an absolute steal with Roby this offseason if he finds that mojo. I would like to see him come back on a 1 or 2 year deal, but I wouldn't be surprised if someone throws significant cash at him just because of the potential I've eluded to.

Agree, he might not be a top end CB, but in the right system with a defensive minded HC or aggressive coordinator (Gregg, Wade, Fangio, ect) I think he can really shine and be a top 20-25 CB in the league. If your asking him to play off coverage and shadow a great #2 WR for an entire game for 4+ seconds per play, I think thats where his weakness comes out.

Considering solid/good CBs dont grow on trees and he is just entering his prime, I wouldnt doubt somebody swoops him up quick. With the lack of CB depth behind Harris Jr. that team better be Denver lol ORRRRRR Cleveland so that he can reunite with his old OSU friend Denzel Ward lol

Archived