2019 FA TALK!!!

Pastor Dillon

We've talked a lot about our o-line and secondary, specifically CB, but are hidden major deficiency this year was pass rush. Other than Watt and Clowney we were absolutely atrocious. Also a bit unpopular here, Clowney didn't do that bad. Definitely disappeared at times but also had 9 sacks and I think led the league in TFLs on run plays. And we've seen in previous seasons he actually plays better at DE than OLB. So my proposal. 

1. We keep Clowney (at least under the franchise tag, long term contract is dependent on cost obviously though we have a ton of space.
2. Move him to DE and kick Reader in to NT
3. My big FA signing, Dee Ford.

Another player I would look at is Mark Ingram. He is nearing the fall off point for RB's but has split carries the last two seasons hopefully saving the body a bit. He would finally give us a back that can run with power to help us on short yardage and goal line situations.

• Like 1

23 hours ago, mse326 said:

Another player I would look at is Mark Ingram. He is nearing the fall off point for RB's but has split carries the last two seasons hopefully saving the body a bit

This is probably my biggest ask this off-season. Ingram has some tread on his tires and could work well in a timeshare with Lamar Miller, taking the "Alfred Blue" role of between the T thumper. 

23 hours ago, mse326 said:

1. We keep Clowney (at least under the franchise tag, long term contract is dependent on cost obviously though we have a ton of space.
2. Move him to DE and kick Reader in to NT
3. My big FA signing, Dee Ford.

I'd personally go Shane Ray, but am OK with this.

Is Bradley Roby still of interest to anyone? He was pretty bad this season filling in the Aqib Talib role, so I don't know how I feel about him anymore. 

I'm also of the mindset that the run game would benefit from a GOOD FB. (Not Jay Prosch). I look at Tennessee, who was getting squat from Derrick Henry - then they bring in his old FB from Alabama and he explodes. 

A FB would also help out in the passing game, picking up free rushers.

(This is contingent on BOB either bringing in an OC that would design a competent offense).

On 1/9/2019 at 8:28 PM, ET80 said:

This is probably my biggest ask this off-season. Ingram has some tread on his tires and could work well in a timeshare with Lamar Miller, taking the "Alfred Blue" role of between the T thumper. 

Is Bradley Roby still of interest to anyone? He was pretty bad this season filling in the Aqib Talib role, so I don't know how I feel about him anymore. 

I'm also of the mindset that the run game would benefit from a GOOD FB. (Not Jay Prosch). I look at Tennessee, who was getting squat from Derrick Henry - then they bring in his old FB from Alabama and he explodes. 

A FB would also help out in the passing game, picking up free rushers.

(This is contingent on BOB either bringing in an OC that would design a competent offense).

I think part of the problem with having a FB stay in for pass protection, is that it limits our WRs in the field. We saw this a lot this year, BOB would keep 7 in to protect and only run 3 man routes. The problem is that this usually happened against a 4 man pass rush and guys were double teamed. 

The more i think about fixes to our team, its sad but it always comes back to BOB not knowing how to coach or put guys in good situations on a consistent basis.  

19 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

There are 3 starting level tackles on the market this off season. 

Trent Brown

Donovan Smith

Ja’Wuan James

none Of them are worth big money but I wouldn’t even care if we over paid one of them and drafted another. 

NFL.com lists Panthers OT Daryl Williams as the top T on the market. Missed last season with a knee injury, but was 2nd team All Pro two years ago.

I know nothing about him and don't trust guys coming off of injury, but wouldn't say no.

On 1/9/2019 at 6:28 PM, ET80 said:

What is the fascination that people have with Shane Ray? Was discussing this in the 49er forum, and I don't get the love the guy gets. He's an interesting buy low candidate, but I don't feel like he's anyone I'm bringing in to consider a problem solved. He had a really good second year, then in 2017, when he actually played, he was completely invisible. He only played a handful of games, but in the games he played in, he played a lot and just didn't do anything. This year, they couldn't even really get him on the field over what else they have when he was healthy. 

19 minutes ago, Forge said:

He's an interesting buy low candidate, but I don't feel like he's anyone I'm bringing in to consider a problem solved

It's the "buy low" aspect for me. In this scenario, we're paying big bucks to both Jadevion Clowney and JJ Watt, so low pricetag/high upside trumps actual production.

I'm not advocating a bidding war for his services, just thinking cost effectiveness in a spot where you'll have to think about having two defensive player getting as much as Watt/Clowney.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

I read a rumor that we are going to offer Trent Brown some money to come be our LT. I would be in favor of him as an upgrade 

Read that as well, would be very interested in him. Would still want to draft a T (especially if a guy like Little were to drop) but he's got experience on both sides of the OL so could play either spot well.

• 2 weeks later...