2019 FA TALK!!!

Pastor Dillon

Khalil signing is good tactical move - if he is playing decent, cheap find.  If not, no major loss.

I do think that Gaine's plan involves securing a 3rd round compensatory pick for 2020 because...

He plans to move up in the 1st round this year to acquire a starting caliber young tackle (Jonah Williams or Andre Dillard).

By offering 1-23, 2-55, & 2020 3rd, you should be able to get into the 9, 10, 11 range that would be sufficient to secure one of top tackles (or Ed Oliver or Greedy Daniels).

Texans would still have 2, 3, 5, 6, & 7 this year plus would have full slate for next year.  

Just my $.02.

BTW I would still be in favor of signing  Jermey Parnell or Ryan Schrader or even Garry Gilliam to play tackle as well (since they would not hurt compensatory pick calculation).

I also like the thought of adding Nick Perry and / or Glover Quin (yes, please).  

11 hours ago, jch1911 said:

Khalil signing is good tactical move - if he is playing decent, cheap find.  If not, no major loss.

I do think that Gaine's plan involves securing a 3rd round compensatory pick for 2020 because...

He plans to move up in the 1st round this year to acquire a starting caliber young tackle (Jonah Williams or Andre Dillard).

By offering 1-23, 2-55, & 2020 3rd, you should be able to get into the 9, 10, 11 range that would be sufficient to secure one of top tackles (or Ed Oliver or Greedy Daniels).

Texans would still have 2, 3, 5, 6, & 7 this year plus would have full slate for next year.  

Just my $.02.

BTW I would still be in favor of signing  Jermey Parnell or Ryan Schrader or even Garry Gilliam to play tackle as well (since they would not hurt compensatory pick calculation).

I also like the thought of adding Nick Perry and / or Glover Quin (yes, please).  

Trading up is the only option for securing a franchise level starting LT. I don’t think one falls. 

On 3/23/2019 at 11:28 AM, Texansfan713 said:

Kalil isnt good when he is healthy.  Dont know why Gaine not going after Donald Penn.

Who knows what happened - what if Penn wanted a multi year deal with guaranteed money? I know we HAVE the cap room, but that's no excuse to overpay for a 1 year rental - which is what every single T on the market this off-season was. 

I'm not happy with the job Gaine has done, but I'm fine with bringing in a low risk/low reward guy like Kalil as insurance for your future LT you'll be drafting. (If we DON'T draft an LT with one of our first three picks, I'll be livid - but that's another argument for another time). I'm all but certain that Kalil is a bubble guy on this roster, and if the rookie LT outperforms Kalil, he'll be cut (or a healthy scratch for 16+ weeks). 

Again - not happy with the off-season so far, but the draft will be the true test of what Gaine is made of. If he can find another 2-3 guys in the draft who can come in and perform at a very high level, then it makes up for a lot of the FA inactivity. 

• Like 2

On 3/28/2019 at 6:39 AM, ET80 said:

Matt Kalil is signed to a 1 year deal, with $7.5mm due if he plays 16 games, $2.25mm guaranteed. So, he's probably not getting cut, but it's far from guaranteed starter money.

That’s a pretty decent chunk of change. It tells me we think he could actually start for us. 

Speaking of which, we all know Rankin and Davenport were bad last year but at what point do you let a young guy be bad, knowing they will grow into something more. I remember rookie Duane Brown being terrible. I think Rankin might be our LG and Davenport our RT in the future 

11 hours ago, Pastor Dillon said:

That’s a pretty decent chunk of change. It tells me we think he could actually start for us. 

Speaking of which, we all know Rankin and Davenport were bad last year but at what point do you let a young guy be bad, knowing they will grow into something more. I remember rookie Duane Brown being terrible. I think Rankin might be our LG and Davenport our RT in the future 

if the staff thinks he can actually start for us then they are more stupid than i thought.