Jump to content
MKnight82

Its Time to Switch Back to a 4-3 and Hire Gregg Williams as DC

Recommended Posts

He just lost out on the Browns HC job.  Make it happen.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I’m pretty sure Willams and Snyder dont get along.....not gonna happen!

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
Posted (edited)

I'd welcome it, but it won't happen bc Dan doesn't like Gregg, that’s why he didn't he get our HC in 08 when he should have. 

If they go back to the 4-3, we should definitely re-sign Preston Smith bc he's a better fit as a DE than an OLB.

Edited by turtle28

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

There is zero chance GW comes to DC. Why would he? He actually had the Browns playing competitive football. Hes going to get another HC job and he isnt going to want to go from one dysfunctional front office to another. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
41 minutes ago, Slateman said:

There is zero chance GW comes to DC. Why would he? He actually had the Browns playing competitive football. Hes going to get another HC job and he isnt going to want to go from one dysfunctional front office to another. 

The front office that he just left may not be considered dysfunctional any longer.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
21 minutes ago, Woz said:

The front office that he just left may not be considered dysfunctional any longer.

It has not been dysfunctional since they put an actual football guy in charge of the operation.  John Dorsey is a proven NFL GM/executive and is everything Sashi Brown and Bruce Allen are not.  

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

MKnight, you are misunderstanding the logic of this front office. Anything that is logical and can make sense is not something this front office knows anything about. 

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I swear I will give my future kids all the pink starburst if the redskins did this🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
1 minute ago, ripsean21 said:

I swear I will give my future kids all the pink starburst if the redskins did this🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻🙏🏻

giphy.gif

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Given the moral outrage surrounding certain recent personnel moves, I'm really scratching my head at the fact that people would be actively pining for Gregg Williams.

He's a pretty good football coach. That anyone would want him carrying their banner, let alone be clamoring for that, is puzzling to me. What he did was inexcusable and disgusting -- in violation of everything that's good and decent about sports and competition. And he's not just *accused* of being an awful and disturbingly violent person, that's proven and admitted. 

 

Anyway, I don't really understand the big push to switch to a 4-3. I hated the move to the 3-4 when they first made it, for much the same reason that I don't really get the motivation now. We had very solid 4-3 personnel in place back then, and we ended up rendering some good players redundant (or obsolete) when we switched. We took a giant step back and ended up having to rebuild the whole defense (which we're still trying to accomplish).

But now, they're a couple players away from having a really good 3-4 front seven. They clearly need a good ILB who can cover and be the captain of the defense. They also need a pass-rusher opposite of Kerrigan. No doubt they still need those pieces to complete the puzzle. But Allen, Payne, Ioaniddis, Kerrigan, and R. Foster is an excellent core of a 3-4 front seven. Why switch now when we're as close as we've been in over a decade to having a talented, effective defensive front that actually fits the scheme we're running?

The biggest issue I have with switching is that the strongest (and probably youngest) unit on the team is the interior DL. Between Allen, Payne, Ioaniddis, and Settle, you've got a group that's already good and has potential to get better. But if you go to the 4-3, you're reducing your ability to put them on the field together. Especially on passing downs. Jonathan Allen is not a 4-3 DE by any stretch -- but even if you think you could get away with using him there on early downs, you're not going to use him as an edge rusher on passing downs. Which means that you're necessarily going to be pulling one of he, Payne, or the Greek off the field any time you're looking to ramp up the pass rush. 

And it's not an issue of the scheme itself being inferior. 6 of the top 10 defenses this season (by both points and yards) were 3-4 base defenses. The two defenses that were clearly the best in the league this season -- Baltimore and Chicago -- both run 3-4 bases. 

It's just an issue of talent. And right now they're on the brink of having elite front seven talent, for the first time in ages. Since before the previous switch. Why press the *reset* button on that instead of just finishing the job of collecting talent that fits together?

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

I should add, I don't think the "3-4 vs. 4-3" distinction is nearly as important as it used to be. With the proliferation of pass-heavy offenses and nickel/dime defenses to combat them, the base defense is employed far less often than in years past. Plus, pretty much all teams are doing more and more "hybrid" concepts to get specific looks or personnel groups onto the field as the situation dictates. 

So I don't know that this is necessarily the franchise-altering debate that it once was. But I still don't really see the point in stopping and reversing course when they're finally getting close to putting together a group that actually works.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
5 hours ago, e16bball said:

I should add, I don't think the "3-4 vs. 4-3" distinction is nearly as important as it used to be. With the proliferation of pass-heavy offenses and nickel/dime defenses to combat them, the base defense is employed far less often than in years past. Plus, pretty much all teams are doing more and more "hybrid" concepts to get specific looks or personnel groups onto the field as the situation dictates. 

So I don't know that this is necessarily the franchise-altering debate that it once was. But I still don't really see the point in stopping and reversing course when they're finally getting close to putting together a group that actually works.

Been saying that for years, 8 to be exact.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites
6 hours ago, naptownskinsfan said:

It has not been dysfunctional since they put an actual football guy in charge of the operation.  John Dorsey is a proven NFL GM/executive and is everything Sashi Brown and Bruce Allen are not.  

True. But see bolded. Say what you want about Sashi Brown, but with his analytics approach, he did put them in the position they needed to be to cash in on all those picks. And they are reaping the benefits this year and next too. I wish our team did that.

Share this post


Link to post
Share on other sites

Create an account or sign in to comment

You need to be a member in order to leave a comment

Create an account

Sign up for a new account in our community. It's easy!

Register a new account

Sign in

Already have an account? Sign in here.

Sign In Now



×