DEN hires CHI DC Vic Fangio as HC

Broncofan

50 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

For what it's worth, the QB Kubiak reportedly pounded the table for was Case Keenum, who's limitations both physically and mentally, bare a lot of responsibility for this team being in the shape that it's in. So be careful what you wish for. 

I don't think he pounded the table in a sense of he's our franchise QB.  He pounded the table as he's the best option for the next two years to get to the postseason.  And given the fact that Cousins wasn't coming here Kubiak still has a year too get something out of Keenum. I still stand by what I said. I'd rather Kubiak and Elway pick a qb prospect in the next couple years than Just Elway.

I don't think he pounded the table in a sense of he's our franchise QB.  He pounded the table as he's the best option for the next two years to get to the postseason.  And given the fact that Cousins wasn't coming here Kubiak still has a year too get something out of Keenum. I still stand by what I said. I'd rather Kubiak and Elway pick a qb prospect in the next couple years than Just Elway.

But after Kirk, Case wasnt the only option. Regardless of where Kirk went, we still made a horrid move by signing Case. And if Kubiak influenced the move, then he was a bad influence. There is literally no historical precident of a career journeyman turned emergency starter suddenly becoming a reliable, above average QB year-over-year. It just doesnt happen, but people fall for it all the time (Look at how we almost did it a few years early w/ Fitz). It was clear that Case was a one-year-wonder and he proved it this year. We have two throwaway years because of the imput Kubiak gave to Elway.

Glennon would have been a better option as long as it was a one year deal. Teddy. McCown. Fitzpatrick. I would take Cody Kessler when taking salary and years into account.

5 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

But after Kirk, Case wasnt the only option. Regardless of where Kirk went, we still made a horrid move by signing Case. And if Kubiak influenced the move, then he was a bad influence. There is literally no historical precident of a career journeyman turned emergency starter suddenly becoming a reliable, above average QB year-over-year. It just doesnt happen, but people fall for it all the time (Look at how we almost did it a few years early w/ Fitz). It was clear that Case was a one-year-wonder and he proved it this year. We have two throwaway years because of the imput Kubiak gave to Elway.

Glennon would have been a better option as long as it was a one year deal. Teddy. McCown. Fitzpatrick. I would take Cody Kessler when taking salary and years into account.

This is faulty logic. Say we don't sign Keenum, and get Glennon, or McCown. Then we are we now? Literally the same exact position. 

3 minutes ago, Royal_VT said:

This is faulty logic. Say we don't sign Keenum, and get Glennon, or McCown. Then we are we now? Literally the same exact position. 

Yup, we really have to look at a larger picture. Case wasn't hired as a QBOTF. He was given a journeymans salary in the hopes he could provide a legitimate stop gap QB and a QB upgrade for a couple of years. being realistic, we weren't going anywhere last year regardless of our QB. 

8 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

With ownership and their issues this team never was gonna throw away this last season. Essentially, thats what you're doing making Glennon a starter. This team is trying to get a naming rights partner.  

It's possible Kubiak had a talk with Elway saying this is your best shot in the next two years to win. We can do this while we look for the next qb.

The team definitely bought in. Final record it didn't show. But players like Emanuel Sanders ate it up. He even said it's nice going into camp with a great established qb situation.  He bought in Case was legit. 

It didn't work out but we honestly don't know the alternative elway would of done had Kubiak not been here. It's possible it's worse.

1 minute ago, AKRNA said:

Yup, we really have to look at a larger picture. Case wasn't hired as a QBOTF. He was given a journeymans salary in the hopes he could provide a legitimate stop gap QB and a QB upgrade for a couple of years. being realistic, we weren't going anywhere last year regardless of our QB. 

Lets not also forget Chad Kelly was showing alot of promise going into this year. I'm sure he was in the plans at qb but he ffed up.

Maybe Kubiak told  Elway Keenum would be instrumental in helping Chad transition to our qb of the future. Maybe he thought having Keenum helped Goff through that horror story year with the rams even though Mcvay gets all the credit.

Well never know because that plan didn't work out.

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Lets not also forget Chad Kelly was showing alot of promise going into this year. I'm sure he was in the plans at qb but he ffed up.

Maybe Kubiak told  Elway Keenum would be instrumental in helping Chad transition to our qb of the future. Maybe he thought having Keenum helped Goff through that horror story year with the rams even though Mcvay gets all the credit.

Well never know because that plan didn't work out.

If Kelly was half as good as this forum hyped him up to be, he would still be on the roster lol. That is what I think of the situation, at least.

2 hours ago, Royal_VT said:

To be fair, though, we'd be about 15M+ in the black with any of those other choices, or more.  A very expensive stop-gap - because Elway actually thought we were a win-now team.  Why Elway restructured 16M of Von's salary in 2018 and pushed it back to 2019-21 to go for expensive 1-year options that didn't perform even close to well.   

We can say it wasn't to be more than a 2-year stopgap, but it was still an awful choice - as was the illusion we were win-now.   I don't think anyone can argue the above.

I will credit Elway though for cutting bait on Kubiak - letting Strauss & Kugler go for Rick Dennison and a redux of pre-2017 for our OL coaching was sheer insanity.     Now, if we can get Munchak to be our OL coach, wow, talk about turning lemons into lemonade.   Frankly, that would be like turning lemons into Dom Perignon lol.  Munchak's an oustanding OL coach, the cream of the crop.  And because his contract's expired, PIT doesn't have to give permission.  So wow at that turn of events, we could in fact turn out to be saved from utter disaster in the trench coaching dep't if we get Munchak.

The problem, of course, is that the 2+ weeks we spent committing initially to Kubiak as OC, it leaves the team scrambling for an OC - when 6 teams have made their hires, or zeroed in.    The fact Elway didn't realize this was the plan with a Kubiak hire until now (along with the so-called philosophical differences that just came up), that's absolutely on him, he owns the mess involved with the timing of these moves.    Getting Munchak as OC won't really help as much - but I'd take the OL help he can provide, regardless.   Maybe we can salvage it with a Monken hire.   

I'll still take a decision to cut bait with Kubiak now over re-hiring Dennison & co., though.  That would have been an unmitigated disaster.   And it kind of underlines the concerns of bringing Kubiak back and being able to adapt to the new NFL O if his first idea was bringing in Dennison to be his OL coach.   Seems like we dodged a bullet - now it might have been a bullet many of us saw coming, and probably could have easily been dodged 1 month ago...but I'll take now over doing it later, after the bullet's damage is already done, and we're in a lot worse damage control then, than if we are doing it now.

2 hours ago, Broncofan said:

To be fair, though, we'd be about 15M+ in the black with any of those other choices, or more.  A very expensive stop-gap - because Elway actually thought we were a win-now team.  Why Elway restructured 16M of Von's salary in 2018 and pushed it back to 2019-21 to go for expensive 1-year options that didn't perform even close to well.   

We can say it wasn't to be more than a 2-year stopgap, but it was still an awful choice - as was the illusion we were win-now.   I don't think anyone can argue the above.

I'm sorry but the 2nd bolded was just too much of a challenge. As to the first, I don't think Elway ever "thought" we were a win now team. It just sounds better than " we really suck so we'll win next year".

Granted, Keenum wasn't a great choice but then there wasn't really a great choice to be made. They all came with risks. By giving him two years it provided us supposedly an average QB on a prove it deal. 

It didn't work, we can all see that, but 20/20 hindsight is a wonderful thing.

Archived