DEN hires CHI DC Vic Fangio as HC

Broncofan

I hate being right... great move for ya'll by Elway. Got the best defensive mind in football (arguably) to come in and run that side of the ball and a loyal Gary Kubiak, who has no interest in being a head coach again, to run your offense. Run-first, play action and a strong defense.

Good formula, good for you all. God damnit.

11 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

As far as our coaches, they'll be just fine.

I will say this much, the rank ineptitude with game day management we suffered through with Vance will likely be a thing of the past. Vic has never challenged a play, called timeouts or made a decision to go for it or not on 4th and short, but I have more confidence that he will be better at those kinds of things than Vance was. 

But if that's the best thing we can say about this hire, that's not exactly great news. 

5 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

But if that's the best thing we can say about this hire, that's not exactly great news. 

Which is really great news because thats not the best thing we can say.

What we can say is we just hired arguably the best DC in the NFL. That makes me real happy!

2 minutes ago, AKRNA said:

Which is really great news because thats not the best thing we can say.

What we can say is we just hired arguably the best DC in the NFL. That makes me real happy!

I saw a stat that throughout his 30 years of coaching he's had 4 top 5 ds at the beginning of his tenure on that team. But, they tail off each year after that. And were bottom 5 his last year before he left. That's alarming to me. Its on albright's twitter.

2 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

I saw a stat that throughout his 30 years of coaching he's had 4 top 5 ds at the beginning of his tenure on that team. But, they tail off each year after that. And were bottom 5 his last year before he left. That's alarming to me. Its on albright's twitter.

Not in Chicago. They never bottomed out in SF either, just had a lot of injuries the last year. 

2 hours ago, thebestever6 said:

Thats kind of a stat in a vacuum don't you think? Roster makeup, FA, draft, injuries............ They all play a huge role. I'm not saying the stats not relevant, it may be. Before I make the inference that Fangio was the cause I'd need  a lot more information.

12 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

So, I just did a quick search. Here's a link to his actual record. 

https://www.pro-football-reference.com/coaches/FangVi0.htm

For what is it worth, in 2018 we had the No. 13 ranked scoring defense at 21.8 PPG allowed. Vic's Bears were No. 1 at 17.7 PPG allowed.

13 spots in the rankings sounds like a lot. A 4.1 PPG difference does not. 

We lost 4 games this year by 4 points or fewer. 6-10 changes to 10-6 if we flip those four games. 

4 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

For what is it worth, in 2018 we had the No. 13 ranked scoring defense at 21.8 PPG allowed. Vic's Bears were No. 1 at 17.7 PPG allowed.

13 spots in the rankings sounds like a lot. A 4.1 PPG difference does not. 

We lost 4 games this year by 4 points or fewer. 6-10 changes to 10-6 if we flip those four games. 

And if Fangio can reproduce that 4 point difference on defence per game the Broncos are a play-off team.

If Kubiak can add an extra touchdown per game with the offence then the team would have been 12-4

For what the Broncos needed I think that Fangio was the best of a very weak candidate pool - we got the worst of the six HCs hired two years ago (and it was always on the cards) - we, potentially, could have the best of what gets hired this time (we certainly are ahead of several teams).

12 minutes ago, BroncoSojia said:

If we had a de facto owner, I'm pretty sure this wouldn't have happened.

Yeah I feel like it's a pretty un-professional look. Just weird. My buddy that is a Bears fan is texting me like wtf is this situation lol 

Again, I think Vic is a better hire than Munchak and Pagano. He is a tremendous defensive mind who has been killing it since his SF days w/ Aldon. And even before.

But this co-head coach nonsense is going to potentially ruin this front office. There should be one head accountable for the play of this team. Now you have a situation where one can point fingers at the other, trying to deflect blame. And even worse, one of the two has a personal relationship with the GM, meaning there is a high probability that based on simply human nature and the way we prioritize relationships, Elway will always be inclinde to back his friend.

Its a gross, inept and childish way to run an organization. We likely are going to ruin what could have been a really nice hire by doing this. It could work, but statistically having two equally powerful people at the top of a company is a disaster waiting to happen. Its a harsh reality that a top-dog is generally needed for a company/business/etc to function properly, efficiently and with accountability. This is such a risk.

Archived