DEN hires CHI DC Vic Fangio as HC

Broncofan

1 hour ago, BroncoBruin said:

They could have retained Kugler but chose not to. First red flag for me. 

I Just checked the Bronco's website and no announcement yet on Fangio. That seems strange if they made the agreement 6 hrs ago. So, here's a wild thought.

They decided on Munchak instead, knowing how valuable OL's are in the NFL and to a WCO. Maybe that's why they didn't retain Kugler.

Told ya it was wild.

Here is my take.

Fangio isn’t an awful hire.  Like I said, he was my #3 choice.  I really didn’t want Munchak or Pagano, 2 guys that have had a shot and didn’t capitalize.

I personally wanted to go the young offensive mind route, Elway didn’t, but I can definitely see where he’s coming from.  I actually applaud him for going Fangio over Munchak and it’s restored a bit of faith that I’d lost in Elway throughout this coaching search.  I fully expected him to go on connections over talent in an interview, it’s just seemed to be his direction since firing Fox.

Now to the part that still is making me cringe at the future...Gary Kubiak and his role with the organization.  I do not want Gary Kubiak as OC.  He’s a good OC, no doubt about that.  Even with an outdated scheme, he is able to make terrific adjustments and get the most out of average or below offensive units (much like the Shanahan’s in most cases).  I am concerned by the fact that Kubiak has always had a mindset to either have an ego that believes he can win football games with marginal QB play or that he for some ludicrous reason likes marginal QBs over guys with excellent talent.  Further, he’s never successfully developed a young QB that has been drafted.  IMO, this franchise HAS to roll with a high draft pick at QB in this draft or the next if they’re going to become legitimate contenders anytime soon and not a .500 team that wins a playoff game here and there.  Kubiak, while a terrific coordinator has absolutely no track record of being able to accomplish this over his 20+ years of coaching. 

I am hoping Elway throws out another wrinkle I am not expecting and goes out and gets a young offensive mind as OC.  A guy with some track record with young QBs and has a more modern offensive football background with Kubiak mentoring and helping out, but also being capable of letting this OC mesh some of their scheme in.

So here’s what I’ve heard and been able to piece together. 

The decision to go with Fangio wasn’t made in a vacuum, the hire was made to find the best and most willing partner for Kubiak. The week’s-plus of wondering what role Kubiak would have was wasted time wondering; Kubiak was always going to be the OC, and not in name only, he was never going to be a consultant or asst HC who didn’t call plays. He was always going to be the fully-empowered OC. 

Fangio was a) willing to allow this arrangement for getting the HC title, b) willing to do all the ancillary work that comes with the HC title and c) will only handle defensive matters. What we have is co-HCs with one in charge of one side of the ball and the other in charge of the other. 

The thinking upstairs at Dove Valley is to re-create 2015 where we had a similar arrangement with Gary and Wade with Gary in the HC role. The two worked well together, had long experience in the NFL and knew to stay in their lanes. Like Gary now, Wade then had no desire to be a HC so Gary was secure in that role just as Vic will be now. 

This is from a friend of mine who is as well connected as anyone. Take it as gospel. 

8 minutes ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

The decision to go with Fangio wasn’t made in a vacuum, the hire was made to find the best and most willing partner for Kubiak. The week’s-plus of wondering what role Kubiak would have was wasted time wondering; Kubiak was always going to be the OC, and not in name only, he was never going to be a consultant or asst HC who didn’t call plays. He was always going to be the fully-empowered OC. 

Fangio was a) willing to allow this arrangement for getting the HC title, b) willing to do all the ancillary work that comes with the HC title and c) will only handle defensive matters. What we have is co-HCs with one in charge of one side of the ball and the other in charge of the other. 

The thinking upstairs at Dove Valley is to re-create 2015 where we had a similar arrangement with Gary and Wade with Gary in the HC role. The two worked well together, had long experience in the NFL and knew to stay in their lanes. Like Gary now, Wade then had no desire to be a HC so Gary was secure in that role just as Vic will be now. 

This is from a friend of mine who is as well connected as anyone. Take it as gospel. 

I kind of figured this. I thought any coach coming in would need to be okay with the power Kubiak will yield. 

1 hour ago, AnAngryAmerican said:

Anything about QBs?

Archived