THE QUES T FOR T HE COACH H ATH ENDE D

buno67

2 hours ago, bosko1616 said:

I want Wilks or Schwartz. 

I guess I'm struggling to figure out why there's so much Schwartz talk. Is he rumored to be unhappy in Philly or something/

Vance Joseph as DC had the 19th ranked DVOA Defensive Efficiency Rating. The Year before he was DC they were 25th. The following year without him the team was 28th.

Steve Wilks DVOA 10th before he was DC; 7th as DC; and 22nd after he left.

Even still Wilks is known in the business as the superior culture leader, better defensive and positive coach, and has AHC experience.

Wilks got a bad deal in AZ and is one of the best coaches on the market. He's being panned for switching from 34 to 43, but I'm not sure anyone had the Cardinals winning more than 5 games this year.

Wilks runs zone about as much as Gregg Williams runs zone all based on the roster and player capabilities.

2 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Ugh lane is saying we’ve expressed interest in Wilks 

I'm telling you man. Wilks is a tremendous defensive coach and culture leader and has big picture vision.

We would be lucky to be able to get him.

He's tough and runs some of the best disguises on the back end of the defense. Players love playing for him.

Schwartz contracts up and was very on the wall when asked if he was coming back. Basically said he loves the organization and the culture. But he’ll wait till the end of the year to address his contract. also had very very high praise of baker. I forget the quote but it was along the lines he’s someone as a football player I would have loved to play for. He’s a tremendous talent and his leadership is electric. 

43 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

I guess I'm struggling to figure out why there's so much Schwartz talk. Is he rumored to be unhappy in Philly or something/

Vance Joseph as DC had the 19th ranked DVOA Defensive Efficiency Rating. The Year before he was DC they were 25th. The following year without him the team was 28th.

Steve Wilks DVOA 10th before he was DC; 7th as DC; and 22nd after he left.

Even still Wilks is known in the business as the superior culture leader, better defensive and positive coach, and has AHC experience.

Wilks got a bad deal in AZ and is one of the best coaches on the market. He's being panned for switching from 34 to 43, but I'm not sure anyone had the Cardinals winning more than 5 games this year.

Wilks runs zone about as much as Gregg Williams runs zone all based on the roster and player capabilities.

Lets be real here. There is simply not enough of a book on Wilks for you to possible know that. He was a DC for one season for an already established and proven defense with a defensive minded head coach captaining that ship. He then went to Arizona were there seems to have been a slew of defensive players who were misused Patrick Peterson, Haasan Reddick and Deone Bucannon we all three put in spots that did not highlight their strengths. If anything there is more of a book to tell the opposite story of what you're saying in bold.

9 minutes ago, TheeRealDeal said:

Lets be real here. There is simply not enough of a book on Wilks for you to possible know that. He was a DC for one season for an already established and proven defense with a defensive minded head coach captaining that ship. He then went to Arizona were there seems to have been a slew of defensive players who were misused Patrick Peterson, Haasan Reddick and Deone Bucannon we all three put in spots that did not highlight their strengths. If anything there is more of a book to tell the opposite story of what you're saying in bold.

You make some interesting points.

The basis of my belief is Wilks' stated core defensive coaching philosophy, as well as the core coaching philosophy and coordinating tendencies of the coaching tree that he's had familiarity with. Those two things, his words about what he'd like to do and coaching tree, have me believing that he will adapt to his personnel in terms of zone versus man usage based on players' capabilities.

As to this year in Arizona, a few things bear mentioning imo...

1.) The Cardinals went from 4th Overall in Defensive Efficiency (10th in Pass; 1st in Run) under DC James Bettcher to 17th in Defensive Efficiency (7th in Pass--an improvement--& 29th in the Run-- a catastrophic regression) under DC Al Holcolmb. Steve Wilks did not call the defense this year. The NFL is a "the buck stops at the HC" league, but at no point did Wilks call plays during the season apparently.

2.) AZ's run defense had some things going against them by way of the Offense as that side of the ball was 32nd in Time of Possession per Drive; 31st in INT per Drive along with being 32nd in the league in DVOA Offensive Efficiency.... which means that the Arizona Defense was on the field more than any other team in the NFL, as well as by way of the offenses struggles went up against opposing offenses willing to run the ball a ton b/c their team was up on the scoreboard. Eventually each game the defense wore down.

3.) Now, adapting scheme is different. Wade Phillips went to the Rams with pure 43 personnel players and still implemented 34 defense despite having no real 34OLB edge pass rushers. Wilks is not close to Wade Phillips, but I say this to say that 43 versus 34 philosophy often becomes steadfast for many coaches. In that area, Wilks received his most criticism this year in that he made the mistake to switch to a 43 team that plays a lot of base defense when AZ was known for playing 34 and 34 shell Nickel looks almost exclusively in years before.

Deone Buchanon has struggled before Wilks got there, and Reddick was a 43DE in college to 34OLB edge in the pros to 43 OLB convert this past year.

Patrick Peterson loved loved Steve Wilks as a coach, and many defensive players came to his defense aggressively in the public this year.

--------------

All that to say that Wilks is a really good DC; Defensive Coach; & Defensive Culture Leader who had a rough 1st year as a Head Coach.

5 hours ago, brownie man said:

Monken is too old I think for what we want to do 

Maybe, but if you hire a young guru, he's going to be out of here in a year. If you're really looking for continuity and stability, going with an older coach actually makes more sense despite conventional belief. 

Am I the only one that feels completely underwhelmed by the crop of potential coordinators out there? None of the realistic DC candidates impress me in terms of both quality and fit. Chuck Pagano seems like a good candidate, but is predominantly a 3-4 guy, which I do not want a transition to the 3-4 since I have never liked it as a scheme. Jim Schwartz I like, but I can't see something not getting done with Philly to keep him there. Same for Brian Flores in that NE would do something to keep him there. I guess my preference would be Kris Richard (who might land the Dolphins HC gig) or Marquand Manuel.

On the OC side, I have no idea where they should go. I almost wouldn't mind an under the radar guy like promoting Lindley to OC so we hopefully keep a young core team coaching our offensive side of the ball for some time. I'm not sure I'm sold on Jim Bob Cooter (whose name I can't stand by the way even if it's not his formal name) on being that wonderful. Another guy I think might be a decent risk would be Zac Taylor (QB coach for the Rams).

I'm not sure what to hope for on these coordinator positions. Someone please enlighten me :)

Names associated with Kitchens coaching career that I don't want as Defensive Coordinator:

1.) Billy Davis (former OSU co-DC and was one of the DCs in Arizona during Freddie's time there)

2.) Donnie Henderson

3.) Clancy Pendergast

---

Other Names I want nothing to do with:

1.) Vance Joseph

---

Lots of concern about the DC or OC.  Bout the only thing you can do wrong with these players is put peppers 25 yards back and keep the corners way off.

Otherwise its fairly straightforward. Lean on myles, ogunjobi and a 3rd rusher be that avery or a fa. Have denzel go 1 v 1. 

That'll be enough to give Bakera shot at winning every game.

1 hour ago, matt27j said:

Lots of concern about the DC or OC.  Bout the only thing you can do wrong with these players is put peppers 25 yards back and keep the corners way off.

Otherwise its fairly straightforward. Lean on myles, ogunjobi and a 3rd rusher be that avery or a fa. Have denzel go 1 v 1. 

That'll be enough to give Bakera shot at winning every game.

Need a good DC to keep penalties, down, the tackling good and players motivated. 

I’m really hoping Schwartz comes aboard. Wilks would be great. A lot for the reasons @Mind Character Stated. Also just to note we played the 3/4more times then you think last year. You can say he was standing DE. But having Genard Avery out there as a rush DE/OLB is a 3/4 alignment because there was multiple occasions he dropped into coverage. These days you can’t really put a 4/3, 3/4 label on a coach because most of the time they use both alignments. It’s just which one they use more. Vance Joseph wouldn’t be terrible. Billy Davis is an interesting name I have to do research on 

DC candidates not talked about:

Cory Undlin, DB coach Philly. Long track record of being one of the best DB coaches in the league.

John Pagano, OLB coach Texans. Spent 4years as DC in San Diego. Very solid track record. DC with Raiders made him look bad in 2017.

Bob Babich, LB coach Buffalo. DC experience, HC at the college level, track record of producing. Son is Safeties coach for Buffalo.

Jerry Gray, DB coach Vikings. DC success. DB coach success. Former player. Student of top notch 4-3 defenses.

Adam Zimmer, LB coach Vikings. One of the top LB coaches. Chip off the old block?

Archived