THE QUES T FOR T HE COACH H ATH ENDE D

buno67

I’m alright with Wilks. He was a hot name last off-season and was a pretty good coordinator in Carolina. Keep the 4-3 going, add some talent, and I think we’re fine. There aren’t really a bunch of names out there that are more desirable this year honestly. 

10 hours ago, Fatgerman said:

DC candidates not talked about:

Cory Undlin, DB coach Philly. Long track record of being one of the best DB coaches in the league.

John Pagano, OLB coach Texans. Spent 4years as DC in San Diego. Very solid track record. DC with Raiders made him look bad in 2017.

Bob Babich, LB coach Buffalo. DC experience, HC at the college level, track record of producing. Son is Safeties coach for Buffalo.

Jerry Gray, DB coach Vikings. DC success. DB coach success. Former player. Student of top notch 4-3 defenses.

Adam Zimmer, LB coach Vikings. One of the top LB coaches. Chip off the old block?

Good list.

Include Jets DB coach Dennard Wilson. Bowles credited him with turning the Jets defense into something solid. Helped make Jamal Adams an all pro. Guys on that D raved about him including Skrine, who said he learned more playing for him despite being a vet. And he's considered HC material down the road.

14 hours ago, Mind Character said:

You make some interesting points.

The basis of my belief is Wilks' stated core defensive coaching philosophy, as well as the core coaching philosophy and coordinating tendencies of the coaching tree that he's had familiarity with. Those two things, his words about what he'd like to do and coaching tree, have me believing that he will adapt to his personnel in terms of zone versus man usage based on players' capabilities.

As to this year in Arizona, a few things bear mentioning imo...

1.) The Cardinals went from 4th Overall in Defensive Efficiency (10th in Pass; 1st in Run) under DC James Bettcher to 17th in Defensive Efficiency (7th in Pass--an improvement--& 29th in the Run-- a catastrophic regression) under DC Al Holcolmb. Steve Wilks did not call the defense this year. The NFL is a "the buck stops at the HC" league, but at no point did Wilks call plays during the season apparently.

2.) AZ's run defense had some things going against them by way of the Offense as that side of the ball was 32nd in Time of Possession per Drive; 31st in INT per Drive along with being 32nd in the league in DVOA Offensive Efficiency.... which means that the Arizona Defense was on the field more than any other team in the NFL, as well as by way of the offenses struggles went up against opposing offenses willing to run the ball a ton b/c their team was up on the scoreboard. Eventually each game the defense wore down.

3.) Now, adapting scheme is different. Wade Phillips went to the Rams with pure 43 personnel players and still implemented 34 defense despite having no real 34OLB edge pass rushers. Wilks is not close to Wade Phillips, but I say this to say that 43 versus 34 philosophy often becomes steadfast for many coaches. In that area, Wilks received his most criticism this year in that he made the mistake to switch to a 43 team that plays a lot of base defense when AZ was known for playing 34 and 34 shell Nickel looks almost exclusively in years before.

Deone Buchanon has struggled before Wilks got there, and Reddick was a 43DE in college to 34OLB edge in the pros to 43 OLB convert this past year.

Patrick Peterson loved loved Steve Wilks as a coach, and many defensive players came to his defense aggressively in the public this year.

--------------

All that to say that Wilks is a really good DC; Defensive Coach; & Defensive Culture Leader who had a rough 1st year as a Head Coach.

Y'know... he'd probably bring Holcomb with him. And to give him even a bit of pass for not calling plays doesn't hold up. It's his defense and his handpicked coordinator. 

Cardinals defense was just as terrible as the offense to start last season. They eventually got competitive so I guess you could say it was an adjustment to the scheme. Idk.

For me it would be a meh hire but there don't appear to be any great candidates out there, so..... (Besides my choice of Jets DB coach 😊)

9 minutes ago, sdrawkcab321 said:

Football Outside ranked their ST for ‘18 at 20th and ‘17 at 18th. In ‘16 it was 10th and ‘15 it was 4th. ‘14 - 10th ‘13 - 6th ‘12 - 5th ‘11 - 27th. 

He was named Minnys full time STC in ‘11. So he had a pretty solid record. 

He was made interim HC when Zimmer had his eye issues for a game. So the minny FO thought highly of him to name him that. They had Shurmur and Norv Turner on staff and still picked him to be HC for the week. To me that speaks highly of him. He also was suspended for using homophobic slurs in ‘14 I believe 

ps he was born in Cleveland 

9 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Football Outside ranked their ST for ‘18 at 20th and ‘17 at 18th. In ‘16 it was 10th and ‘15 it was 4th. ‘14 - 10th ‘13 - 6th ‘12 - 5th ‘11 - 27th. 

He was named Minnys full time STC in ‘11. So he had a pretty solid record. 

He was made interim HC when Zimmer had his eye issues for a game. So the minny FO thought highly of him to name him that. They had Shurmur and Norv Turner on staff and still picked him to be HC for the week. To me that speaks highly of him. He also was suspended for using homophobic slurs in ‘14 I believe 

ps he was born in Cleveland 

for comparison, PFF's Vikings ST grades for last 4 years:

2018: 3rd

2017: 2nd

2016: 7th

2015: 3rd

Regardless, a home run compared to freaking Amos.

Archived