THE QUES T FOR T HE COACH H ATH ENDE D

buno67

2 minutes ago, jonnytwoshoes said:

for comparison, PFF's Vikings ST grades for last 4 years:

2018: 3rd

2017: 2nd

2016: 7th

2015: 3rd

Regardless, a home run compared to freaking Amos.

Average it out between the two and let’s say top 10 ....I’ll freaking take it!!!

36 minutes ago, BrownLeader said:

Y'know... he'd probably bring Holcomb with him. And to give him even a bit of pass for not calling plays doesn't hold up. It's his defense and his handpicked coordinator. 

Cardinals defense was just as terrible as the offense to start last season. They eventually got competitive so I guess you could say it was an adjustment to the scheme. Idk.

For me it would be a meh hire but there don't appear to be any great candidates out there, so..... (Besides my choice of Jets DB coach 😊)

Not every great position coach is a great HC.

In the same way, not every great position coach is a great Coordinator.

Al Holcolmb is a fantastic LB coach. That's the role he'd serve here.

Luke Kuechly and Thomas Davis raved about his positional coaching.

The Cardinals were 7th in Pass Defense Efficiency; 29th in run. So, it's not completely accurate to say they were terrible at all aspects of defense.

You're absolutely right the head coach does not get a complete pass for how one side of the ball does, but context does matter.

And so does who actually doing the play-calling.

Who cares how PFF grades Special Teams. They are not transparent with their methodology.

Special Teams Efficiency DVOA is the trusted statistic that we have many years of comparison and predictive efficacy data on.

Vikings DVOA Special Teams Efficency

Mike Priefer Vikings ST 2011-2018 DVOA Special Teams Efficency Rankings

20th

18th

10th

4th

10th

6th

5th

27th

28 minutes ago, Mind Character said:

Who cares how PFF grades Special Teams. They are not transparent with their methodology.

Special Teams Efficiency DVOA is the trusted statistic that we have many years of comparison and predictive efficacy data on.

Vikings DVOA Special Teams Efficency

Mike Priefer Vikings ST 2011-2018 DVOA Special Teams Efficency Rankings

20th

18th

10th

4th

10th

6th

5th

27th

DVOA numbers are important but also play into the personnel who are on your squad.

I took a deeper look into his ST numbers for the teams he's coached...

In 2006 Mike Priefer took over as special teams coordinator of the Kansas City Chiefs...

In 2005 KC's ST DVOA was 23rd.

After Priefer took over it was 13th in 2006, 24th in 2007, and 30th in 2008.  (immediate improvement but went down hill after)

After he left KC their ST DVOA was 27th in 2009.

In 2009 he took over as Special Teams coordinator of the Denver Broncos...

In 2008 Denver's ST DVOA was 31st.

after he took over it was 18th in 2009, and 27th in 2010.

After he left Denver, thier ST DVOA became 18th in the league.

In 2011 he took over as special teams coordinator of the Minnesota vikings.

in 2010 Denver's ST DVOA was 19th.

AFter he took over it became 27th in 2011, 5th in 2012, 6th in 2013, 10th in 2014, I dont know why I'm typing this read above.

He generally seems to do more good than he does harm.  I will say this he has never been fired for his work, hes only been fired because of head coaching changes or most recently was asked to re-sign with the vikings but turned down the offer to come home to Cleveland.

I'm excited for the difference he HAS to make over Amos....

Archived