Jaguars shopping Allen Hurns?

pwny

5 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah same, we weren't getting his replacement in this draft. May have been nice to draft a QB in mid rounds or something to bring in a little more competition but besides that...

As for LG, I think everyone is pretty pissed about that. I think Calais is going to make his presence known/seen this year, but if it was between signing him or signing Zeitler/top OG than I'm taking the OG. We keep saying we want to run, run, run and yet all we did was replace the LT. Interior outside of Linder is a big problem. Hopefully Bowanko can hold down LG/Cann can pick it up at RG, but I'm not holding my breath.

We pretty much had to take LF. I don't think there was any legit option left

6 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

We pretty much had to take LF. I don't think there was any legit option left

There was options, but he was the guy most viewed as an elite/top tier option in the draft so you can't really go wrong taking him. I was and still am happy with the pick, but not getting sufficient interior OL help could cost him a bit. Hopefully the OL looks more like the final several games last year than last preseason game.

11 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

There was options, but he was the guy most viewed as an elite/top tier option in the draft so you can't really go wrong taking him. I was and still am happy with the pick, but not getting sufficient interior OL help could cost him a bit. Hopefully the OL looks more like the final several games last year than last preseason game.

Who else was there that made any sense?

Also, Osweiler is apparently available lol

20 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Not sure how we would have addressed QB in the early first round

you could have signed a Free agent like Hoyer(a proven Game Manager type), Kaepernick, try a reclaim project(Geno Smith/RG3). you could have tried trading for a QB during the draft. I also  didn't say anything about needing a QB but yes we should have attempted to find some competition for the QB spot.  

you invest a Ton of Cash and Capital at RB and expect better results at RB with largely the same Craptastic Oline group from last year. pass blocking was decent but this oline couldnt make any of the Top RBs in the NFL look good.  we are like the Rams right now except that we have what appears to be a good defense on paper.  you improve the oline you improve the rush offense which improves the play-action Pass game.  

the jags fumbled the ball 3 times in potentially fixing a guard spot(i think cann would work better as a LG vs being a RG). they semi-swung the bat at a top end guard but for whatever reason that didnt pan out.  in round 3 you pick an edge who was a semi-reach(i feel he was drafted a round or 2 early) and pass up a Stud IOL like Pat Elflein or Dan Feeney.  in round 4 you pick Dede Westbrook(who im not denying has some very good talent but wasnt a Need pick at that slightest and seemingly was behind guys like Shane Wynn and Keelan Cole) and pass up a Starting guard like Dorian Johnson or a true pass rusher like Carl Lawson.  

29 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Yeah same, we weren't getting his replacement in this draft. May have been nice to draft a QB in mid rounds or something to bring in a little more competition but besides that...

As for LG, I think everyone is pretty pissed about that. I think Calais is going to make his presence known/seen this year, but if it was between signing him or signing Zeitler/top OG than I'm taking the OG. We keep saying we want to run, run, run and yet all we did was replace the LT. Interior outside of Linder is a big problem. Hopefully Bowanko can hold down LG/Cann can pick it up at RG, but I'm not holding my breath.

Campbell sure looked Jared Odrick out there on that Edge tho.  im sure he will improve but right now i think our roster fits more of a 3-4 at this point. 

Jackson-Jones-Campbell

Nagkoue-Poz-Smith-Fowler

maybe go with Jack instead of Poz but you get the idea.  Campbell is not a true Edge rusher. he does his best work rushing on the interior oline.  im not sure how good Malik would be at rushing from the edge but it really wouldnt hurt to look at that idea and have Campbell working the 3 tech. 

3 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

Come on though, that was preseason game two. I'm interested to see how the transition goes for Campbell but he's been an all-pro level player. 

Everyone is annoyed after last week but it was just preseason, I am not having very high hopes when it comes to our record due to our QB situation but IDK what it is with the pessimism on defense. We know the pass rush will be hit or miss at times but I don't think pointing to a game where Campbell had one or two series (same with Malik) and without our top two corners out, especially in the preseason when there isn't a ton of gameplanning involved. 

11 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

you could have signed a Free agent like Hoyer(a proven Game Manager type), Kaepernick, try a reclaim project(Geno Smith/RG3). you could have tried trading for a QB during the draft. I also  didn't say anything about needing a QB but yes we should have attempted to find some competition for the QB spot.  

you invest a Ton of Cash and Capital at RB and expect better results at RB with largely the same Craptastic Oline group from last year. pass blocking was decent but this oline couldnt make any of the Top RBs in the NFL look good.  we are like the Rams right now except that we have what appears to be a good defense on paper.  you improve the oline you improve the rush offense which improves the play-action Pass game.  

the jags fumbled the ball 3 times in potentially fixing a guard spot(i think cann would work better as a LG vs being a RG). they semi-swung the bat at a top end guard but for whatever reason that didnt pan out.  in round 3 you pick an edge who was a semi-reach(i feel he was drafted a round or 2 early) and pass up a Stud IOL like Pat Elflein or Dan Feeney.  in round 4 you pick Dede Westbrook(who im not denying has some very good talent but wasnt a Need pick at that slightest and seemingly was behind guys like Shane Wynn and Keelan Cole) and pass up a Starting guard like Dorian Johnson or a true pass rusher like Carl Lawson.  

Okay so what should we have done to get OL? Trades don't just happen and this was a horrible draft for them

Just now, .Buzz said:

Come on though, that was preseason game two. I'm interested to see how the transition goes for Campbell but he's been an all-pro level player. 

Everyone is annoyed after last week but it was just preseason, I am not having very high hopes when it comes to our record due to our QB situation but IDK what it is with the pessimism on defense. We know the pass rush will be hit or miss at times but I don't think pointing to a game where Campbell had one or two series (same with Malik) and without our top two corners out, especially in the preseason when there isn't a ton of gameplanning involved. 

you dont need to gameplan how to rush the passer. he seemingly got stood up every play on the edge because he isnt quick enough nor fast enough to be a 4-3 DE.  check out his combine numbers.  6 foot 8 290 pounds 5.04 40(1.7 10 yard), 7.45 3cone.  i know those measurables are ancient history now and probably arent as good as those.  

2 minutes ago, LinderFournette said:

you dont need to gameplan how to rush the passer. he seemingly got stood up every play on the edge because he isnt quick enough nor fast enough to be a 4-3 DE.  check out his combine numbers.  6 foot 8 290 pounds 5.04 40(1.7 10 yard), 7.45 3cone.  i know those measurables are ancient history now and probably arent as good as those.  

Never said you needed to, but you think all good pass rushers just show out during the preseason? You expect him to just go dominate in a couple series in the 2nd week of the preseason game?

2 minutes ago, JaguarCrazy2832 said:

Okay so what should we have done to get OL? Trades don't just happen and this was a horrible draft for them

i gave 3 ways we could have Done to get an Oline. instead of Focusing all the time on adding campbell we should have Been going hard on Zietler who is a stud. 

instead of taking Smoot we could have taken a 3 time First team All Big10 OL, 2nd team All AP(2015), 1st team all AP(2016) and Rimington Trophy Winner(2016) Pat Elflein who i last recalled is Currently being a beast for the vikings.  seems like a real good Olinemen to me and he showed the ability to play center well despite playing that position 1 year.  we also could have Picked 4 year starter at guard like Dan Feeney who was arguebly among the best available players at the time of the smoot pick.  most people had those 2 peg as round 2/3 guys so they werent really reaches and both are looking like starters this year. 

instead of picking DeDe Westbrook we could have  picked Dorian Johnson who most people graded close to Elflein and Feeney. wouldnt be bad value and i think he would be a plug and play at LG where he started full-time for 3 years at the position. 

10 minutes ago, .Buzz said:

Never said you needed to, but you think all good pass rushers just show out during the preseason? You expect him to just go dominate in a couple series in the 2nd week of the preseason game?

i expected him to put pressure on the QB. i didnt see any coming from him allowing Jameis Winston to channel his inner tom brady vs us in the playoffs. 

Just now, LinderFournette said:

i expected him to put pressure on the QB. i didnt see any coming from him allowing Jameis Winston to channel his inner tom brady vs us in the playoffs. 

Again, it's preseason. Calais Campbell has been in the NFL for 10 years. He played for two series.

I guess maybe it's just me but that literally didn't worry me one bit. Maybe I need to watch more preseason games but I'm not generally noticing too many elite pass rushers consistently getting in the backfield in the preseason. These guys are veterans that have proved it for years.

If he is a no show during the regular season get back at me. Not going to worry about what he's doing when the games don't matter. A lot of these vets aren't even going 100%. Malik was a no show last week too, yet he was an elite 3T last year for us.

Just now, .Buzz said:

Again, it's preseason. Calais Campbell has been in the NFL for 10 years. He played for two series.

I guess maybe it's just me but that literally didn't worry me one bit. Maybe I need to watch more preseason games but I'm not generally noticing too many elite pass rushers consistently getting in the backfield in the preseason. These guys are veterans that have proved it for years.

If he is a no show during the regular season get back at me. Not going to worry about what he's doing when the games don't matter. A lot of these vets aren't even going 100%. Malik was a no show last week too, yet he was an elite 3T last year for us.

im not worried about Malik. he seemed to do well as an interior pass rusher last year. 

however campebll has been a 3-4 End his entire career. he has never been asked to be a edge rusher. 

Just now, LinderFournette said:

im not worried about Malik. he seemed to do well as an interior pass rusher last year. 

however campebll has been a 3-4 End his entire career. he has never been asked to be a edge rusher. 

Yes, and he plays strongside end here. He isn't just here to get after the passer. He will, however, kick inside on obvious passing downs on 3rd down from the sound of it and likely do work next to Malik in those situations.

He wasn't brought here to be a 15 sack guy. If he can be a 7-8+ sack guy and be his normal monster self in all phases as usual I'm cool. 

Archived