True Detective Season 3

J-ALL-DAY

Season one was unarguably one of the greatest seasons EVER in television, but season two disappointed. Hopefully this season is closer to season one than season three. Mahershala Ali is a dope actor so I really can't wait to see what they pull off here. Season premiere with two episodes on Sunday.

Finally got a show to watch now! Waiting on The Chi, Mr. Robot and Billions to return. 

14 minutes ago, kingseanjohn said:

I never did watch season two. Is it worth watching at all?

It’s nowhere near as good as s1 but it’s not as bad as everyone claims (and they’re very loud about it).  It’s just different.  It has some outstanding performances from Rachel McAdams and Colin Ferrell.  I thought Vince Vaughn was excellent too.  

• Like 1

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

It’s nowhere near as good as s1 but it’s not as bad as everyone claims (and they’re very loud about it).  It’s just different.  It has some outstanding performances from Rachel McAdams and Colin Ferrell.  I thought Vince Vaughn was excellent too.  

I agree, Season Two was not awful but there are only so many prostitution stings one can go on.  That is getting pretty lame, oh lets go to a whore house or a rich party orgy and infiltrate it to get ratings and nudity on a HBO series and then people will watch....

I agree Rachel McAdams was kind of a cool character and Ferrell is a decent actor, at parts it was bad though but could say that about the last three episodes of season 1.  It is awesome Stephen Dorff is in the 3rd season, that badass villain dude from Blade that is surprisingly not in a lot of movies but can be pretty good I think.  

1 hour ago, thrILL! said:

I watched the first two episodes and didnt care for it. I'll probably go back and give it a while watch through.

1 minute ago, Ozzy said:

It is awesome Stephen Dorff is in the 3rd season, that badass villain dude from Blade that is surprisingly not in a lot of movies but can be pretty good I think.  

Have you seen Somewhere?  Not much happens in it but if you like Sofia Coppola movies (Lost In Translation, etc) you might like it.  

11 minutes ago, thrILL! said:

Have you seen Somewhere?  Not much happens in it but if you like Sofia Coppola movies (Lost In Translation, etc) you might like it.  

I have not seen it, might have to check that one out...  Not a huge Elle Fanning fan though but at least she is a little better than her sister.

Edited by Ozzy

4 hours ago, thrILL! said:

Honestly, season one was so good folks were expecting season two to be at least close to on par with that. Maybe unrealistic expectations but season 2 could have absolutely been better. Wasn't terrible, but not memorable either. 

True Detective Season 2 had too much going on. A lot of great individual scenes, but it's like Nick Piz had 100 ideas he loved and couldn't narrow it down to a few well developed plot lines. Some of the dialogue was painfully bad too. 

Edited by BroncoBruin

The other problem for S2 besides following S1 and the story being all over the place - the characters (other than Kitch’s) were pretty paint by numbers film noir anti-heroes / broken heroines.   And given the cast it was pretty disappointing to watch.  

If it was a bunch of no names and a show without TD expectations from S1 ppl would likely say if was ok.  But it was also pretty forgettable.  For the investment that’s a fail.   

Edited by Broncofan

3 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

I rank Season 1 as my favorite single season of any TV program ever.

It'd easily in my Top 3. It's so hard to definitively pick something (I loved the Wire season 1, Prison Break Season 1, GoT season 3, Sporanos Season 2, Lost S1, among others)

If Season 2 wasnt trying so hard to articulate 35 storylines at the same time, it could have been good. Ferrell and McAdams were pretty stereotypical film noir anti-heroes as Broncosfan said, but they both just killed it in those roles, as recycled as the roles may be.

Ferrell is a very underrated actor, he just cant carry a movie by himself. Seems like he is past the point of trying to be a superstar actor. He still makes some trash, but has some really good ones too. He was basically a joke to me after Daredevil, Alexander, etc. but has bounced back with some really strong roles.