True Detective Season 3

J-ALL-DAY

48 minutes ago, MikeT14 said:

It'd easily in my Top 3. It's so hard to definitively pick something (I loved the Wire season 1, Prison Break Season 1, GoT season 3, Sporanos Season 2, Lost S1, among others)

I've never watched any of those shows. Firefly (which was criminally only 1 season) is up there for a favorite single season for a show. Also, some anime. Mad Men is probably my favorite multi-season drama, if not favorite overall, but you can't really compare a 7-season show to True Detective, which is more like a mini-series..

I generally watch comedies.

29 minutes ago, freak_of_nature said:

I've never watched any of those shows. Firefly (which was criminally only 1 season) is up there for a favorite single season for a show. Also, some anime. Mad Men is probably my favorite multi-season drama, if not favorite overall, but you can't really compare a 7-season show to True Detective, which is more like a mini-series..

Attack on Titan Season 1 was kissfingers.gif

22 hours ago, thrILL! said:

It’s nowhere near as good as s1 but it’s not as bad as everyone claims (and they’re very loud about it).  It’s just different.  It has some outstanding performances from Rachel McAdams and Colin Ferrell.  I thought Vince Vaughn was excellent too.  

no one disputes the acting job, but it was just a poorly constructed show with a bad ending.

Felt very forced. Glad they took their time with this one!

11 hours ago, N4L said:

no one disputes the acting job, but it was just a poorly constructed show with a bad ending.

Felt very forced. Glad they took their time with this one!

The actors tried to save the tire fire that was Pizzolatto's hack dialogue that Harrelson and McConaughey managed to reign in and make their own in S1, but it was so god damn stupid and he was so very very far up his own *** that nothing could save it. You feel bad for Vince Vaughn who thinks that this is going to be the career transition moment where he's taken seriously as a dramatic performer in a prestige thriller and he's given this utter insanity to recite as dialogue. They performed well, but none of them were actors at the former two's pedigree so naturally it just didn't work. Ali is a brilliant character actor, so this is right in his wheelhouse.  It's not surprising that his performance is the thing everybody is universally praising.

But Pizzolatto is still a hack who gets a pass because Fukunaga's impeccable direction and the performances of S1 carried it beyond what it actually was.

Edited by Thelonebillsfan
  • Like 1

On 1/10/2019 at 8:38 AM, freak_of_nature said:

Probably because it's the best.

On 1/10/2019 at 12:48 AM, BroncoBruin said:

True Detective Season 2 had too much going on. A lot of great individual scenes, but it's like Nick Piz had 100 ideas he loved and couldn't narrow it down to a few well developed plot lines. Some of the dialogue was painfully bad too. 

Correct. It was in essence a fairly simple corruption story that tried way too hard to "bulk up" with odd story line angles and shallow characters that never really stuck with you. Although it was told in a more "suburban / normal" setting - it came off as less believable than season 1. Personally I've never thought McAdams or Ferrell very compelling actors (although she's very easy on the eyes) and Vaughn was a really bad caricature of a tough guy. He was in past his depth IMO.  

If you consider it, season 1 has a fairly straight story line - with odd but believable angles - and held true to them - from beginning to end. Good writing. Good production.    

Edited by Leader

Never seen season 1 or 2, but needed something to tide me over until GoT returns. Caught this last night and I'm really intrigued by the first two episodes. Ali is killing it so far in the lead role.

I do have a question though. What's up with the school teacher? I know this is the type of show to throw out multiple red herrings, but I don't understand why they are making her out to be this "mysterious" character.

41 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

Never seen season 1 or 2, but needed something to tide me over until GoT returns. Caught this last night and I'm really intrigued by the first two episodes. Ali is killing it so far in the lead role.

I do have a question though. What's up with the school teacher? I know this is the type of show to throw out multiple red herrings, but I don't understand why they are making her out to be this "mysterious" character.

I'm guessing because that's his future wife?

7 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I'm guessing because that's his future wife?

I get that, but I mean with the allusions to her "troubled past" where she "did some things shes not proud of with the Panthers" and the constant references to her knowing almost as much about the "story" as Ali does. Like, is that supposed to make me think she was involved in something nefarious in the context of the kidnapping?

23 minutes ago, RavensTillIDie said:

I get that, but I mean with the allusions to her "troubled past" where she "did some things shes not proud of with the Panthers" and the constant references to her knowing almost as much about the "story" as Ali does. Like, is that supposed to make me think she was involved in something nefarious in the context of the kidnapping?

I never really thought about it in any other context other than her writing the book was probably bad for the case/investigation/husband and created a lot of complications. Just an intro to someone who will play a crucial role TBD in the story.

2 minutes ago, Mossburg said:

I never really thought about it in any other context other than her writing the book was probably bad for the case/investigation/husband and created a lot of complications. Just an intro to someone who will play a crucial role TBD in the story.

That probably makes more sense than her actually being involved in the kidnapping itself. Also, wonder what happens to the other detective in the later stages of Ali's life?