Around The League V.2

Totty

7 hours ago, OldManWillis said:

So now that Cleveland let go of Gregg Williams, would you guys take him at DC over Guenther?

Also very interested to see the relationship between some of the Head coaching hires and QBs, particularly Rodgers/Lafleur and Rosen/Kingsbury.

No. Guenther faltered early in the season, but he also thought he was going to have the best DE in the league. Things had to change fast. Also Williams defenses have a shelf life to them of about 2-3 seasons after that they seem to bottom out. It’s probably because of his rah rah mentality, that wears on people after awhile. 

7 hours ago, Chali21 said:

No. Guenther faltered early in the season, but he also thought he was going to have the best DE in the league. Things had to change fast. Also Williams defenses have a shelf life to them of about 2-3 seasons after that they seem to bottom out. It’s probably because of his rah rah mentality, that wears on people after awhile. 

I have to agree with Guenther.  He was not my first choice last year but players started to find their groove with him at the end of the year.  We know what we have now in his system and can start to find players to fit his philosophy/scheme.  I do not want to start over again especially when he is not a bad coach.

I'm hearing some chatter about Gruden loving Antonio Brown and possibly wanting to trade for him.  Trading for a disgruntled 30yo WR, who will command 20 a year and has 1 or 2 more elite years left on this dumpster fire of a roster is a terrible move.  I hope it's only rumors.  

5 minutes ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I'm hearing some chatter about Gruden loving Antonio Brown and possibly wanting to trade for him.  Trading for a disgruntled 30yo WR, who will command 20 a year and has 1 or 2 more elite years left on this dumpster fire of a roster is a terrible move.  I hope it's only rumors.  

Yeah, that wouldn't be a prudent move for a rebuilding franchise. 

That said... don't you want to surround Carr with talent? 

24 minutes ago, big_palooka said:

Yeah, that wouldn't be a prudent move for a rebuilding franchise. 

That said... don't you want to surround Carr with talent? 

Yeah I do but not talent who will be on the downside of their career in 1 or 2 years.  It would be ideal to find a legit 1 through the draft so Carr can build a report with him over the next decade, not sign a guy who's 30 and will be a shell of what he is now in a couple of seasons.   

4 hours ago, Frankie2Gunz said:

I saw a tweet the other day that said his contract would 15 million and less after the trade because the Steelers are supposed to cover 5 million next season no matter what. 

26 minutes ago, Chali21 said:

I saw a tweet the other day that said his contract would 15 million and less after the trade because the Steelers are supposed to cover 5 million next season no matter what. 

He's 30 and this team is nowhere near contending.  Pass...

• Like 2

11 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I have to agree with Guenther.  He was not my first choice last year but players started to find their groove with him at the end of the year.  We know what we have now in his system and can start to find players to fit his philosophy/scheme.  I do not want to start over again especially when he is not a bad coach.

Guenther's D is based on strong DL play, on a potent 4 man rush. Without Mack he was shot in the leg IMO.

We need to focus on the EDGE spot and also continue to watch the DT spot. We need to give him a strong DL to have a chance IMO.

To me the Carr situation is somewhat similar to the Guenther situation. I know it sounds weird at first, but hear me out.

I think Carr absolutely deserves one more year with better protection and better weapons in the same system. I think Gruden and MM can trully evaluate him after the next season when he had at least a not horrible OL and when he had some speed at WR. Next year he still won't have elite OL and elite skill guys around him, so it will be a fair evaulation IMO as far as his ability to be our fr. QB in the long run.

I think the "same" with Guenther. Gruden and MM needs to add talent to that DL and speed to the back 7(8) to have a chance to fairly evaulate PG. He will also benefit from some guys being back in his not that simple system, so the communication should be a lot better early on. If he can elevate the D with some talent, you have something. If he fails again and puts some historically bad D on the field with better talent level, you need to move on IMO.

2019 should be about Carr and his future as franchise QB, about PG and whether he is the DC we need (among other smaller questions obviously).

7 hours ago, Rolni said:

Guenther's D is based on strong DL play, on a potent 4 man rush. Without Mack he was shot in the leg IMO.

We need to focus on the EDGE spot and also continue to watch the DT spot. We need to give him a strong DL to have a chance IMO.

To me the Carr situation is somewhat similar to the Guenther situation. I know it sounds weird at first, but hear me out.

I think Carr absolutely deserves one more year with better protection and better weapons in the same system. I think Gruden and MM can trully evaluate him after the next season when he had at least a not horrible OL and when he had some speed at WR. Next year he still won't have elite OL and elite skill guys around him, so it will be a fair evaulation IMO as far as his ability to be our fr. QB in the long run.

I think the "same" with Guenther. Gruden and MM needs to add talent to that DL and speed to the back 7(8) to have a chance to fairly evaulate PG. He will also benefit from some guys being back in his not that simple system, so the communication should be a lot better early on. If he can elevate the D with some talent, you have something. If he fails again and puts some historically bad D on the field with better talent level, you need to move on IMO.

2019 should be about Carr and his future as franchise QB, about PG and whether he is the DC we need (among other smaller questions obviously).

I agree we should see what Carr has with a better supporting cast.  I just see some red flags and want to see him try some different things.  I also want a competent back up so we do not have to throw away another season if his development is to slow.

2 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I agree we should see what Carr has with a better supporting cast.  I just see some red flags and want to see him try some different things.  I also want a competent back up so we do not have to throw away another season if his development is to slow.

What happens if trying those new things leads to him getting hurt or concussed like Bridgewater...

What happens if he does not and we keep paying $20+ million to a QB that can not be a franchise QB.  All QBs will take off sometimes, take a deep shot, or try to extend a play.  Carr clearly does not do it enough.  Why he is not doing it it is the question.  Is it to learn the system , become comfortable, or panic mode.  It could not be his blockers suck because then you would expect him to extend plays or run more (2018).  If he has time you would expect him to allow plays to develop.  All QBs take a chance by stepping on the field and the risk increases the longer you hold onto the ball but Carr is one of the more cautious QBs in the league.  If we trade for AB do you not want him running routes across the middle because it is to dangerous.  This is football and the chance of getting hurt is allows there but you can not play scared.  Playing scared is more likely going to get you hurt and making yourself one dimensional allows the defense to think of only one thing.  Just like taking a deep shot keeps the defense honest so does taking off and running when the opportunity presents itself.