Around The League V.2

Totty

6 hours ago, Silver&Black88 said:

Carr can't throw bombs. He's scared. He's so scared of throwing downfield he probably will start throwing backward next week. That's how bad he is.

He was money throwing them to AB and Nelson. I think it has everything to do with the guys he is throwing to and the coverage he sees now that our go to guys are a rookie RB and TE. I expect more long passes once he gets more practice time with Davis and Jones.

4 hours ago, NightTrainLane said:

He was money throwing them to AB and Nelson. I think it has everything to do with the guys he is throwing to and the coverage he sees now that our go to guys are a rookie RB and TE. I expect more long passes once he gets more practice time with Davis and Jones.

We never got to see them play in a game. Hell , they barely practiced together so I dont see how you can make that statement.

16 minutes ago, SimonGruber said:

Still early obviously but dam as of now I kinda agree with HB 🙈

Calling a guy a JAG after 4 NFL starts is just dumb.

Ferrel has played well for a rookie. He's been smart and instinctive. I get he was the #4 overall pick and we expect more as a pass rusher, but let's not write him off after 4 NFL starts. 

• Like 3

3 hours ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

We never got to see them play in a game. Hell , they barely practiced together so I dont see how you can make that statement.

By watching hard knocks and the practice clips they released. I saw atleast 5 deep bombs.That is how I can make that statement.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, NightTrainLane said:

By watching hard knocks and the practice clips they released. I saw atleast 5 deep bombs.That is how I can make that statement.

AI voice: "Practice!!??" And Hard knocks lol

I put little stock to what him and AB did the few times they practiced together when Carr had the Red Jersey on aka no defender can even breathe on him without getting chewed out by the coaches.

Carr has been a poor downfield thrower for years. Maybe AB could have helped him look a little better in that area, but he is what he is. He missed wide open Ryan Grant badly downfield week 2.  And there are a few other throws I cant remember off the top of my head where he failed to hit a guy in stride down field 

18 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

AI voice: "Practice!!??" And Hard knocks lol

I put little stock to what him and AB did the few times they practiced together when Carr had the Red Jersey on aka no defender can even breathe on him without getting chewed out by the coaches.

Carr has been a poor downfield thrower for years. Maybe AB could have helped him look a little better in that area, but he is what he is. He missed wide open Ryan Grant badly downfield week 2.  And there are a few other throws I cant remember off the top of my head where he failed to hit a guy in stride down field 

Well, when you get the "top of your head right" we'll take those into account.

I also don't care what you take stock in to or not. They were doing it in practice because they were preparing to do it in games. Now that both his deep threats that he worked the deep balls with are MIA my point was that it will take time for us to see more of them thrown to guys he met this month or this week. If you've ever been on the football field you'd know those throws take reps with the receiver. Never said anything about what he has done in the past and you can keep holding that opinion.

Edited by NightTrainLane

I do wonder if Carr has been told by the coaching staff to play conservative though?
We all know our D is average at best.. we cannot lose the turnover battle and expect to win. We cannot even lose the field position battle and expect to win. 
Carr doesnt throw deep unless the WR is wide open, and it is extremely frustrating because weve all seen him do it when game is on the line. 

Carr just has that live for the next down mentality, and with our D I can kinda see why, cant give the opponents a short field. 
However, when we are playing teams like KC who are gunna score wherever they are at.. he has to be more aggressive. 

I think Gruden right now is happy with Carr playing safe football. 

50 minutes ago, BackinBlack said:

I think Gruden right now is happy with Carr playing safe football. 

No doubt. Gruden isn't Mike Martz. He wants to run it and complement that with a high percentage passing game. Gannon's best statistical season was without Gruden in 2002. With Gruden the run/pass ratio was around 50/50. In 2002, Gannon had the most pass attempts in his career (and more than Carr has ever had so far). As long as Carr is efficient and doesn't turn the ball over, i think Gruden will be fine with him at QB.

The similarities between the current offense and the 1st one Gruden built in Oakland are obvious. The oline is probably one of the biggest in the league, just like it was the 1st time. The standouts back then were Lincoln Kennedy at RT and Steve Wisniewski at LG. They went out and brought Trent Brown as their main FA. Then took a flier on Incognito. Those 2 and the addition of Jacobs are the main reasons for our improved play. Ingold is the classic Gruden FB. He has tried hard to get his vet WR but it has epically failed so far. That's why AJ Green wouldn't surprise me one bit (but i don't think they trade for him now, maybe in FA this offseason). Only real difference now is the TE usage. TEs were never targeted much in Gruden's offense until last year. I'm not so sure that would be the case if the WRs were better.