Around The League V.2

Totty

I've been saying it for years that Mike Tomlin has been one of the most overrated coaches in the league.  Has he been consistently successful? Yes, but it seems like the distractions have taken over.  They don't run his defense and never have.  Clearly he is not running the offense and the talent for the past ten years or so has been outstanding.  It seems like he just walked into a prime situation with stable ownership and a solid scouting department.  His job is to basically manage the game and the locker room.  He has made some questionable decisions in that regard and the inmates have been running the asylum for what seems like five years.  I feel bad saying it since he seems like a good dude, but I don't think he is that great at what he actually does.

24 minutes ago, NJ Raider said:

I've been saying it for years that Mike Tomlin has been one of the most overrated coaches in the league.  Has he been consistently successful? Yes, but it seems like the distractions have taken over.  They don't run his defense and never have.  Clearly he is not running the offense and the talent for the past ten years or so has been outstanding.  It seems like he just walked into a prime situation with stable ownership and a solid scouting department.  His job is to basically manage the game and the locker room.  He has made some questionable decisions in that regard and the inmates have been running the asylum for what seems like five years.  I feel bad saying it since he seems like a good dude, but I don't think he is that great at what he actually does.

Since the days of Bruce Arians and **** LeBeau I have always questioned what Tomlin was actually good for?

1 hour ago, NJ Raider said:

After seeing all the stuff AB pulled with us, I think he probably deserves a lot of credit for keeping that situation to a minimum (to where they were constantly productive and won a lot of games), but I guess you could go the other way and say that he enabled it all blowing up for allowing the antics for so long, and possibly sweeping stuff under the rug. 

I do think hes a good leader of men. The vast majority of guys that have played for him sing his praises pretty vocally, but I don't look at him as one of the elites when it comes to x's and o's and in game decisions, though against most teams I find solid in game adjustments for the most part. 

I think he's a "good" coach, but he's also benefited from super stable ownership and front office work. You could do a lot worse IMO. But he's also not the cream of the crop. 

• Like 1

Vic did an interview with Burfict and here are some things he had to say.

Burfict was watching the game with his daughters and turned off the television right after Garrett connected and the Steelers linemen responded by charging at him. 

“I don’t want them to see that,” Burfict said. “Because that’s not what I do. That’s not part of football. I hit people on the field during the game. And they say that’s dirty, yeah, whatever. I get hit, too, during the games, so don’t complain. It’s football, bro.”

I met (commissioner) Roger Goodell in New York and he was a total *****,” Burfict said. “He was a *****. He didn’t let anybody speak, he rushed us in and out of the meeting. The meeting was bull****. He already had the suspension in his hand.”

Burfict presented video of clean plays that he had made, plus dirty plays against him that weren’t called and that he didn’t retaliate to. 

“They didn’t give a **** about that ****,” Burfict said.

Raiders coach Jon Gruden and quarterback Derek Carr spoke on Burfict’s behalf during a conference call.

“That meant a lot to me, but the NFL didn’t give a **** about that **** either,” he said. “Derek Carr, my guy, said his piece about how I was a captain and a great teammate and not a dirty player, and (appeals officer) Derrick Brooks almost cut him off. He said we appreciate you coming on the call, but they didn’t need Derek Carr to vouch for me. 

“Brooks made his mind up already. They let me know before I woke up the next day. They didn’t even go in the office, make some coffee and discuss it for a few minutes.”

If Burfict has no time for the NFL brass, he has less time for the media. It took him weeks to agree to this interview

“They are trying to end my career,” Burfict said. “But football is football, it’s not my life. I don’t miss the game at all. I am chilling. I miss my teammates … but I can’t let this control my life. Bro, let somebody else deal with what I dealt with and they would have done some crazy ****. I had a good career. If they wanted me to leave this badly, I wish they would have just asked me nicely.”

Burfict stops to ask if Rudolph was suspended. I told him that he wasn’t. 

“See, that’s bull****,” Burfict said. “He wasn’t doing a football act trying to pull that guy’s helmet off, but whatever. I don’t really care about that situation, to be honest with you.”

Edited by agarcia34
  • Like 1

1 hour ago, drfrey13 said:

He is not done but he is frustrated to the point that he is willing to walk away happy if he is not wanted back.

He understands he can't really play anymore. If he's back next season, there will surely be a play to justify another suspension.

• Like 1

I believe Burfict with regards to his appeal being basically a sham.

With those comments, though, good luck to him. Any minor infraction and he’s totally done, and it wouldn’t surprise me if the comments themselves were somehow suspend-worthy.

Edited by Nightmare
  • Like 1

8 minutes ago, Silver&Black88 said:

What Garrett did was unequivocally wrong. But Rudolph definitely deserved to get socked in the chops.Then parading around like he did nothing wrong. Drives me crazy. 

Rudolph should of definitely been suspended one game. No idea why he didn’t. If I’m Goodell I suspend him one game, he appeals, let him play vs the Bengals, and then deny his appeal and ban him from the 2nd Browns game. 

They are gonna be gunning for him. 

On 11/16/2019 at 2:18 AM, agarcia34 said:

Vic did an interview with Burfict and here are some things he had to say.

Burfict was watching the game with his daughters and turned off the television right after Garrett connected and the Steelers linemen responded by charging at him. 

“I don’t want them to see that,” Burfict said. “Because that’s not what I do. That’s not part of football. I hit people on the field during the game. And they say that’s dirty, yeah, whatever. I get hit, too, during the games, so don’t complain. It’s football, bro.”

I met (commissioner) Roger Goodell in New York and he was a total *****,” Burfict said. “He was a *****. He didn’t let anybody speak, he rushed us in and out of the meeting. The meeting was bull****. He already had the suspension in his hand.”

Burfict presented video of clean plays that he had made, plus dirty plays against him that weren’t called and that he didn’t retaliate to. 

“They didn’t give a **** about that ****,” Burfict said.

Raiders coach Jon Gruden and quarterback Derek Carr spoke on Burfict’s behalf during a conference call.

“That meant a lot to me, but the NFL didn’t give a **** about that **** either,” he said. “Derek Carr, my guy, said his piece about how I was a captain and a great teammate and not a dirty player, and (appeals officer) Derrick Brooks almost cut him off. He said we appreciate you coming on the call, but they didn’t need Derek Carr to vouch for me. 

“Brooks made his mind up already. They let me know before I woke up the next day. They didn’t even go in the office, make some coffee and discuss it for a few minutes.”

If Burfict has no time for the NFL brass, he has less time for the media. It took him weeks to agree to this interview

“They are trying to end my career,” Burfict said. “But football is football, it’s not my life. I don’t miss the game at all. I am chilling. I miss my teammates … but I can’t let this control my life. Bro, let somebody else deal with what I dealt with and they would have done some crazy ****. I had a good career. If they wanted me to leave this badly, I wish they would have just asked me nicely.”

Burfict stops to ask if Rudolph was suspended. I told him that he wasn’t. 

“See, that’s bull****,” Burfict said. “He wasn’t doing a football act trying to pull that guy’s helmet off, but whatever. I don’t really care about that situation, to be honest with you.”

We'll just need to get the name "Vontaze Burfict" engraved in our superbowl rings this year! :) j/k ofc.