Around The League V.2

Totty

6 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

I was not happy with the pick.  I like Jacobs but I still question the choice especially with good RBs being taken in the 2nd  and 3rd.

I like Jacobs. But I don't like RB in round 1 unless they have some really special skills. The shelf life on RBs just isn't worth the #1 pick and you can find ball carriers anywhere. 

David Montgomery was taken in round 3 and plays nearly the same game as Jacobs.

• Like 1

2 hours ago, big_palooka said:

I like Jacobs. But I don't like RB in round 1 unless they have some really special skills. The shelf life on RBs just isn't worth the #1 pick and you can find ball carriers anywhere. 

David Montgomery was taken in round 3 and plays nearly the same game as Jacobs.

Same thought process on David vs Jacobs. David has way more miles coming out of college but doesn’t matter cause Jacobs didn’t but stays banged up.

10 minutes ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

Same thought process on David vs Jacobs. David has way more miles coming out of college but doesn’t matter cause Jacobs didn’t but stays banged up.

I really was happy about the fact that Jacobs came out fresh, but the way he plays is going to knock some years off of his career.  Its messed up but we can move on from him after his 5 years with us and just draft another RB to replace him.  We all sadly know that RBs don't last long at all, and he certainly isn't one that will last past 28-30.  Hopefully we are smart and continue to find diamonds in the rough like D. Booker and maybe another RB late in the draft.  I really want us to find a RB with some wheels.  Jacobs can slice and dice and lower his shoulder, but his break away speed is non existent.  D. Booker was definitely more exciting to watch, the guy would just blast through the holes and take off for some pretty nice runs.

8 hours ago, NCOUGHMAN said:

That’s exactly why RBs don’t go in the first... great chance they get banged up lol..... I like Jacobs too, but I’m not a 1st round RB guy 

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

That’s exactly why RBs don’t go in the first... great chance they get banged up lol..... I like Jacobs too, but I’m not a 1st round RB guy 

WR's and RB's in the 1st are historically a bad move. You have some recent ones that have won a SB like Agholor and Demayius Thomas, but they had almost nothing to do with the teams success. Bellichick for example has never done until Harry recently, which was the 32nd pick.

I wanted a WR at 12 last year because it was BPA at that spot, but it's something that should only be done once in a blue moon.

11 hours ago, Jerry said:

I really was happy about the fact that Jacobs came out fresh, but the way he plays is going to knock some years off of his career.  Its messed up but we can move on from him after his 5 years with us and just draft another RB to replace him.  We all sadly know that RBs don't last long at all, and he certainly isn't one that will last past 28-30.  Hopefully we are smart and continue to find diamonds in the rough like D. Booker and maybe another RB late in the draft.  I really want us to find a RB with some wheels.  Jacobs can slice and dice and lower his shoulder, but his break away speed is non existent.  D. Booker was definitely more exciting to watch, the guy would just blast through the holes and take off for some pretty nice runs.

Booker was a pleasant surprise but we need more from our backup to save Jacobs.  If he can keep his touches at 225-250 that would be better and have a RB that can handle 150-175 touches.  If that is Booker then problem solved but no point in having Jacobs if he will not be effective in the playoffs.  Plenty of RBs in FA that can do that and some will be cheaper than Richard.

1 hour ago, BayRaider said:

WR's and RB's in the 1st are historically a bad move. You have some recent ones that have won a SB like Agholor and Demayius Thomas, but they had almost nothing to do with the teams success. Bellichick for example has never done until Harry recently, which was the 32nd pick.

I wanted a WR at 12 last year because it was BPA at that spot, but it's something that should only be done once in a blue moon.

You're exactly right.  I was saying this all offseason in that if you draft a WR top 15 he better be a high volume impact stud.  I made it very clear that if we did go WR I wanted Lamb but still would have preferred to go D.  I honestly didn't want a WR because they are historically bad moves and I even posted a list of all of the 1st round WR's since 2010.  It was a list of failure after failure....

I wanted Kinlaw or Brown if he slipped as I knew 3T was a major weakness on this D and would have preferred to wait until the later rounds to draft a WR like we did with Edwards. Hopefully we can finally land that interior presence I have been pounding the table for!

10 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

Booker was a pleasant surprise but we need more from our backup to save Jacobs.  If he can keep his touches at 225-250 that would be better and have a RB that can handle 150-175 touches.  If that is Booker then problem solved but no point in having Jacobs if he will not be effective in the playoffs.  Plenty of RBs in FA that can do that and some will be cheaper than Richard.

Yeah I really don't understand why we didn't use Booker more.  He was our home run hitter.  I know Jacobs has his pride but that pride is going to destroy his career.  And I agree, we could definitely find a FA that is better and cheaper than Richard.  I still really like Richard though, he actually sent me a signed photograph for free after his rookie season.  First signature I've ever gotten from a Raiders player.  But it is what it is.

37 minutes ago, SilverNBlackFan said:

Rivers retiring. Grew up hating the guy but always respected his competitiveness. Goofy face, always yapping.

Sad to see the old guard of QBs going out. Brees, Rivers, potentially Big Ben, and Brady within a few years.

I'm really glad they're leaving.  I hope Ben hangs them up too.  Opens up the AFC for the Raiders.  I want the Colts to go back to mediocrity and for the Steelers to struggle to find a replacement.  Gives us a chance to hit the playoffs next season.  It's already bad enough Burrow is with the Bengals and Herbert just hit the AFC West.  Now we have Jacksonville getting ready to draft Lawrence.  Lot of good QBs in the AFC these days.

18 minutes ago, Jerry said:

I'm really glad they're leaving.  I hope Ben hangs them up too.  Opens up the AFC for the Raiders.  I want the Colts to go back to mediocrity and for the Steelers to struggle to find a replacement.  Gives us a chance to hit the playoffs next season.  It's already bad enough Burrow is with the Bengals and Herbert just hit the AFC West.  Now we have Jacksonville getting ready to draft Lawrence.  Lot of good QBs in the AFC these days.

And Jets might get Zach Wilson who is a superb prospect Imo