Around The League V.2

Totty

Really want to see Julio in a Grudens offense. Waller and Julio would just be nasty. Gruden will get a chance to dust off those routes he had drawn up for Antonio Brown. 

Albert Breer
From Cam Marino (@MarinoNFL): Make a prediction for the Julio sweepstakes. Where does he end up?

Cam, I feel like I need to take the time here to make one thing clear: I love Julio Jones as a player. I don’t have a Hall of Fame vote, but he’d be first ballot for me, and I think the reason he’s been able to fight through all the injuries that are weighing down his stock with other teams connects to who he is. He’s a professional in every sense of the word (which is also why, by the way, I don’t think he knew he was on live TV with Shannon Sharpe the other day).

So now that I’ve made that clear, I think he’ll ultimately be traded, maybe for something a little short of what Houston got for DeAndre Hopkins (a second-round pick and a player?).

All things equal, I’m tempted to go with the Raiders here. This is a big year for Jon Gruden and Mike Mayock, without question, and Jones could help unlock the potential in promising young receivers Henry Ruggs and Brian Edwards—and take pressure off emerging tight end Darren Waller. Add that to a rebuilt offensive line, Josh Jacobs and Derek Carr (who played better last year than people realize) and you’ve got something.

Edited by agarcia34

2 hours ago, BayRaider said:

I think Atlanta is bluffing. 

Exactly..... Atlanta couldn’t trade him for a 1st prior to the draft.... or really a future first back then because he needs to be traded after June 1.

It’s far more Likely Atlanta is only getting a few 2nds but mostly 3rd round (and maybe a borderline starter) offers for Jones.  Thus Propaganda 1.0 would be to leak interest by over 5+ years, ideally 8-10.  Since their are so many teams interested it makes it very easy to Float a rumor that one of the teams is offering a first.  It Wouldn’t surprise me if their only getting third would offers for Jones.  They don’t want to look Like they got robbed in the deal so they try to Pump Up His value and force one desperate GM to pony up a 1st.... due to fear they’ll lose out on him.

• Like 1

If it took a 2nd for a 27 year old Hopkins I am only offering a 4th or a 3rd + 4th or 5th coming back for a 32 year Jones.  The only reason why I would do the trade is Atlanta eats $23.25 of his remaining $61.5.  We get him for close to what Agholor got per year.

3 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

If it took a 2nd for a 27 year old Hopkins I am only offering a 4th or a 3rd + 4th or 5th coming back for a 32 year Jones.  The only reason why I would do the trade is Atlanta eats $23.25 of his remaining $61.5.  We get him for close to what Agholor got per year.

A 2-4th would be whatever to add Julio. 

19 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

Yeah no one should complain about a 2nd Round pick for Julio. 2nd Rounders aren’t all that valuable. You’ll still get 1 or 2 years of elite WR play. 

With the way we draft I'd definitely give up a pick(s) for an elite player. 

Albert Breer’s prediction for Julio is the Las Vegas Raiders. Claims Gruden’s contract isn’t structured the way we think it is and this is a do or die year for both Gruden and Mayock, playoffs or fired. 

Personally, I think Julio ends up on the Titans. The only way to free up cap space for the Raiders to land Julio would be to extend Carr and restructure his deal this year. I am not extending Carr for a 32 year old WR. 

9 minutes ago, oakdb36 said:

2nd + Nassib + Richard (Falcons' depth is poor at RB/DE)

They would still need to create some cap room somewhere though. Maybe they can do something with Waller's contract.

One of the whole reasons Falcons want to trade Julio is to save cap space, it’s a mutual decision. They are not going to want a 4.5M backup DE. Plus, Richard is as good as gone, likely waiting til June 1st for the cut. 

36 minutes ago, BayRaider said:

One of the whole reasons Falcons want to trade Julio is to save cap space, it’s a mutual decision. They are not going to want a 4.5M backup DE. Plus, Richard is as good as gone, likely waiting til June 1st for the cut. 

There's no reason to wait for june 1st to cut Richard. It changes nothing if he's cut now or later since he has 1 year left on his contract and no prorated bonus.

Nassib's salary is 3.5M. Anything else is the Raiders' problem.

There's talk of Atlanta having to pay some of Jones' salary to make a trade happen. If they can't get rid of his whole salary, they might as well pay someone who will be on the roster. In this scenario, they don't pay any of Jones' salary but take Nassib to make it happen.

It's just an hypothesis. No big deal.

6 hours ago, BayRaider said:

Albert Breer’s prediction for Julio is the Las Vegas Raiders. Claims Gruden’s contract isn’t structured the way we think it is and this is a do or die year for both Gruden and Mayock, playoffs or fired. 

Personally, I think Julio ends up on the Titans. The only way to free up cap space for the Raiders to land Julio would be to extend Carr and restructure his deal this year. I am not extending Carr for a 32 year old WR. 

If we do have a disappointing year I think it's more likely that Mayock gets canned and then Gruden "retires" so he can go back to the booth.

IIRC Julio has a no-trade clause in his contract so he can deny a deal to a team that he doesn't want to go too. Seems like he's headed to New England or Tennessee.