Around The League V.2

Totty

One thing I just noticed when going over stats is Brady is a much better QB when playing with a lead.  Carr is bad with a lead.  His rating when playing from behind in 105 and when leading it is 75.  Brady has a more than respectable rating of 97 when trailing but is at 113 when leading.  They both had the same number of pass attempts when trailing also.  This I believe is one of those intangibles that Brady has over Carr and helps the defense.  Brady puts teams away and keeps going so that the opposing offense remains predictable.  Carr starts to have issues, Gruden deserves some blame her also, and teams hang around within striking distance.  This comes back to my point that Carr being risk averse and Gruden being conservative is not a good combination.  This same thing happened in 2016 also were it seemed like every game came down to the wire.

• Like 1

8 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

One thing I just noticed when going over stats is Brady is a much better QB when playing with a lead.  Carr is bad with a lead.  His rating when playing from behind in 105 and when leading it is 75.  Brady has a more than respectable rating of 97 when trailing but is at 113 when leading.  They both had the same number of pass attempts when trailing also.  This I believe is one of those intangibles that Brady has over Carr and helps the defense.  Brady puts teams away and keeps going so that the opposing offense remains predictable.  Carr starts to have issues, Gruden deserves some blame her also, and teams hang around within striking distance.  This comes back to my point that Carr being risk averse and Gruden being conservative is not a good combination.  This same thing happened in 2016 also were it seemed like every game came down to the wire.

I think that has been an issue for us with Carr/Gruden, when we're winning games we go ultra conservative instead of looking to blow the game open. 

• Like 1

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

I think that has been an issue for us with Carr/Gruden, when we're winning games we go ultra conservative instead of looking to blow the game open. 

yup the great teams / coaches, understand that this is a momentum game. Going up 14 really isnt that much (obviously depending on time left), but If your D lets them go and score, your back in a one possession game and they have momentum. 

I think part of Grudens conservative approach is due to his lack of faith in the defense. We absolutely could not have turned it over at any point these last couple years. Just look at the Dolphins game, trying to run out the clock instead of scoring. Literally exchanging points on the board for less clock, still didn’t work. Not that I agree with it, I’m taking the points, but it goes to show how poor this defense has been. Hopefully the defense steps up and we can keep our foot on the gas a little bit more. 

• Like 2

8 hours ago, NYRaider said:

So this is a small sample size but TB did not lose a game when they had a lead at half time and we had 2 loses.  TB had 1 lose when going into the 4th with a lead and we had 1 also.  Does not show much.  Unless you are to the point were the other team can not catch you you should always play like it is a tie.  This does not mean you go no huddle with 8 minutes left and up 2 scores but your objective to go down the field does not change nor does effort to do so.  I have a feeling that under those types of situations would go to the sidelines after punting a feel okay that they took a few minutes ff the clock instead of putting the other team away.  That comes from the mindset of the coaching staff and the leaders.  Brady just has a different mindset then Carr and Gruden when it comes to this.  And yes increasing a lead does help the defense.

21 minutes ago, Geezy said:

I think part of Grudens conservative approach is due to his lack of faith in the defense. We absolutely could not have turned it over at any point these last couple years. Just look at the Dolphins game, trying to run out the clock instead of scoring. Literally exchanging points on the board for less clock, still didn’t work. Not that I agree with it, I’m taking the points, but it goes to show how poor this defense has been. Hopefully the defense steps up and we can keep our foot on the gas a little bit more. 

We were turning it over regardless.  Gruden has always been a conservative coach.  A Carr led offense has been below average in giveaways 5 of his 7 years and he averages 10 ints/yr and 9 fumbles/yr (2/yr are recovered).  We have averaged 23 giveaways a year so he has accounted for 75% of our TOs.  I am not sure if that is good or bad but he has averaged more fumbles lost then everyone else on the team combined.  He is good with Ints but the fumbles need to be addressed.  2016 and 2019 were his best years with TOs and he had 7 fumbles lost combined.  Losing 3.5 fumbles in a year is about the league average.  So if he is just average with fumbles it is a good sign for this team.

42 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

We were turning it over regardless.  Gruden has always been a conservative coach.  A Carr led offense has been below average in giveaways 5 of his 7 years and he averages 10 ints/yr and 9 fumbles/yr (2/yr are recovered).  We have averaged 23 giveaways a year so he has accounted for 75% of our TOs.  I am not sure if that is good or bad but he has averaged more fumbles lost then everyone else on the team combined.  He is good with Ints but the fumbles need to be addressed.  2016 and 2019 were his best years with TOs and he had 7 fumbles lost combined.  Losing 3.5 fumbles in a year is about the league average.  So if he is just average with fumbles it is a good sign for this team.

It would also help if the defense could force some turnovers, like in 2016 we weren’t necessarily a good defense but had a lot of takeaways. 

1 hour ago, Geezy said:

It would also help if the defense could force some turnovers, like in 2016 we weren’t necessarily a good defense but had a lot of takeaways. 

Definitely.  That was the reason why we where as good as we where.  We were +16 and I believe the next best year for Carr with the Raiders was +1.  I have been saying it since 2016 that the reason why the team had such a good record was TO differential which is on the offense and defense.  TOs are a fluke category but you can keep yourself within a range.  Sometimes you make your own luck.  Teaching Carr ball security and having a more aggressive defense.  The offense not being aggressive when they get a lead also allows the opposing teams offense to have options and increases the possibility that the defense will have issues from being more aggressive.  It all plays off of each other but we have to make the commitment and stick to it.  Statistically it should work out.

• Like 1

On 6/24/2021 at 8:47 AM, Geezy said:

Gruden has always had a conservative ball control offense dating back to his first stint with us. In Gannon's 3 years with Gruden he averaged around 3,600 passing yards per season and in his one year under Callahan when he opened up the offense he threw for 4,600 yards and was the MVP.

17 hours ago, MrOaktown_56 said:

Maybe Brady wanted to come to LV, but I don't think he'd be knocking DC of all the qb's around the league who are starting mediocre or worse players. But that's just me.

Honestly, he was probably talking about New England grabbing up Cam Newton lol. 

• Like 1

Right.... a) florio is a straight up tool. Lol  b) people underestimate just how much the media dislikes the raiders and loves to run with bs (not the guys on this forum, but people in general.) and c) it’s the slow month so writers need stupid click bait stories, the amount of attention this non story is getting is proof! Lmfao!