Around The League V.2

Totty

48 minutes ago, G said:

Montana was the one QB that gave me pause but as I wrote and remembered more just came out. Brady didn't win those first few but he did understand what it took to win and he did that. The come back against Atlanta was incredible. Not having a perfect season (Go GIANTS!) a blessing. Not winning every game is what makes him GREAT. He didn't stop and took less to get more cap for the team success. His 'weapons' are NOT Rice/Taylor/Craig/Rathman/Clark just off the top of my head and SF had some really good defenses too. It's a team game and Brady had Joe as his goal and surpassed it. Tuck Rule will always make me 'hate' but not really, I'm just jelly because it could have been us. Raiders name doesn't sound as good as Patriots after 9/11 and the CT side of me goes hummm...   LOL 

I do not hate Brady for the tuck game.  I do BB though.  Brady at least came out and said he thought it was a fumble.  He excepted the refs call but he did not try to hide behind it.  BB refuses to address it though.  

As far as him being the GOAT I have not said he is not but rather I think the gap is closer then some think.  There is recency bias and the NE organization did help him.  In 60% of the playoff and SB games the defense held the opponent to 3 scores or less.  Montana and Brady are very similar when it comes to winning but Brady has played much longer so that does still give him an edge.  I still like Marino myself because he did things well before anyone else and that was in a much less passer friendly league.  It took 27 years for his single season passing yards record to be broken.  He still has 2 of the top 10 passing TD seasons of all time and that took 20 years to be broken.  I would to have seen what he would have done with better talent around him and a friendly passing league.  Those are my top 3 but like has been said before it depends on what Goat is to you.  If Brady can do it again next year I think the argument is over but right now you can still argue for other players.  Not that you would be correct doing it.

• Like 1

15 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

I do not hate Brady for the tuck game.  I do BB though.  Brady at least came out and said he thought it was a fumble.  He excepted the refs call but he did not try to hide behind it.  BB refuses to address it though.  

As far as him being the GOAT I have not said he is not but rather I think the gap is closer then some think.  There is recency bias and the NE organization did help him.  In 60% of the playoff and SB games the defense held the opponent to 3 scores or less.  Montana and Brady are very similar when it comes to winning but Brady has played much longer so that does still give him an edge.  I still like Marino myself because he did things well before anyone else and that was in a much less passer friendly league.  It took 27 years for his single season passing yards record to be broken.  He still has 2 of the top 10 passing TD seasons of all time and that took 20 years to be broken.  I would to have seen what he would have done with better talent around him and a friendly passing league.  Those are my top 3 but like has been said before it depends on what Goat is to you.  If Brady can do it again next year I think the argument is over but right now you can still argue for other players.  Not that you would be correct doing it.

What Al could have done with Marino would have set even more records. Mosebar was great but I still can't believe Al didn't pick Dan over Don

• Like 1

15 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

It all depends on what you want to use to justify the greatest title.  After last year I will definitely put Brady up there.  Montana is there also.  I saw him play in a Madden exhibition game and it was unreal what he did. You do not realize how incredible they are until you are on the field with them.  One of my top, I would rank #1, is Marino.  He was doing things that would take 15-20 years for other QBs to catch up.  He is the one QB that I am sure would succeed in todays NFL.  If I had to pick a young QB today that could end up as an all time great I would pick Josh Allen.  He has the ability to be one of the greats but he has a lot to prove.

A lot of who's the greatest is just dumb luck. Marino never had a defense. John Elway never had a running game until later in is career. Jim Kelly never could win the super bowl.

14 hours ago, G said:

What Al could have done with Marino would have set even more records. Mosebar was great but I still can't believe Al didn't pick Dan over Don

Marino was the perfect type of QB for Al.  Marino had the swagger Davis liked when he was coming out of Pitt.  Can not argue with the result from 1983 but once again a situation where we passed on a HOF QB because we had someone who could pass as an average QB.  That draft for us is eerily familiar to the 2005 draft.  We could have even taken Rivers or Big Ben instead of Gallery in 2004.  Funny how Marc Wilson and Kerry Collins could change things so easily.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

A lot of who's the greatest is just dumb luck. Marino never had a defense. John Elway never had a running game until later in is career. Jim Kelly never could win the super bowl.

Yes there is.  That is why I still would take Marino over everyone else.  You could make an argument for him being the most talented player at his position in the history of the league.  Could you imagine the career he would have had if he did not have microfracture surgery after the 1986 season.  He may still hold the records for most yards and TDs in a season.  If you average out for 16 game seasons, he only started 9 games his rookie year, Marino averaged over 4500 yards and just under 40 TDs a season over his first 4 seasons.

N'Keal Harry requesting a trade.  Who wants to roll the dice and send them a 6th or 7th.  He is a big redzone threat type WR.  If we can sign 7 3Ts then why not have 2 big WRs.  I think it is worth it for a late round flyer.

• Like 1

3 hours ago, drfrey13 said:

N'Keal Harry requesting a trade.  Who wants to roll the dice and send them a 6th or 7th.  He is a big redzone threat type WR.  If we can sign 7 3Ts then why not have 2 big WRs.  I think it is worth it for a late round flyer.

I'd bite for a day 3 pick for sure. We need size. He needs a change of scenery. 

We sent 3rds for Martavis Bryant and his suspensions and Antonio Brown and his....issues....so a late pick can't hurt. 

7 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Harry sucks, can't separate to save his life 

Probably about as much as a 6th or 7th rounder would.  He would make the team which is more than you can say about a lot of late round picks.  He is worth the shot and if he fails not a big lose.  It would be hard not to get more production than we did with MB and AB who we traded for 3rds.

• Like 1

On 7/3/2021 at 10:27 AM, drfrey13 said:

Marino was the perfect type of QB for Al.  Marino had the swagger Davis liked when he was coming out of Pitt.  Can not argue with the result from 1983 but once again a situation where we passed on a HOF QB because we had someone who could pass as an average QB.  That draft for us is eerily familiar to the 2005 draft.  We could have even taken Rivers or Big Ben instead of Gallery in 2004.  Funny how Marc Wilson and Kerry Collins could change things so easily.

Actually Al did try to make a deal for elway and that got shot down, don’t remember the exact details but seeing as how he had just won his suit against the league and moved to LA he wasn’t exactly in the good graces. Fwiw.

On 7/3/2021 at 10:52 AM, drfrey13 said:

Yes there is.  That is why I still would take Marino over everyone else.  You could make an argument for him being the most talented player at his position in the history of the league.  Could you imagine the career he would have had if he did not have microfracture surgery after the 1986 season.  He may still hold the records for most yards and TDs in a season.  If you average out for 16 game seasons, he only started 9 games his rookie year, Marino averaged over 4500 yards and just under 40 TDs a season over his first 4 seasons.

Him and the marks brothers were pretty electric.