Around The League V.2

Totty

On 2/14/2023 at 2:13 PM, RaisinBran said:

True. This has always been the knock against Carr right? Lack of red zone TDs... When you have the right coach and play calls it should be easier to find guys wide open in the red zone with different set ups. Reid and Mahomes seem to punch it in every time with some kind of trick or gimmick play.. or just a simple rollout. I'm just never going to be convinced it was entirely Carr's fault. Sorry to bring Carr back into the discussion lol.

I mean that doesnt happen that often. Eric B adjusted very well to the way eagles was cover the motion. But we cant pretend Mahommes havent made something out of nothing like thousands of times to let guys become open.  Mahommes off script is a huge reason for their redzone success. 

• Like 1

3 hours ago, dante9876 said:

I mean that doesnt happen that often. Eric B adjusted very well to the way eagles was cover the motion. But we cant pretend Mahommes havent made something out of nothing like thousands of times to let guys become open.  Mahommes off script is a huge reason for their redzone success. 

Its almost every big play. If you watch Eric B play calling isn't very good. The play breaks down right a way then Pat avoids pressure then throws it deep to the open man. Most of this offense will not work with a good QB he has to be great.

4 hours ago, dante9876 said:

You say it doesn’t happen that often but I would disagree. Twice in the biggest game of the year against the top or a very top defence Mahomes literally had a guy 10 yards open. It’s not an exaggeration to say I’d have been 100% confidence I could have thrown those TDs especially as they were a first read too which is crucial. It’s not as if he had to go through progressions and find the open guy. That is genius from Reid. 

Now, it’s also important to say we’re not diminishing Mahones prowess in any way here, he is the de facto best QB in the world right now, no argument here. Just that it needs to be acknowledged what a great job the scheming and design did in the ultimate situation. This was against a great D in the biggest game too. I think for sure Mahomes helps given that the D has to defend him a certain way but still, that Playcalling and scheming is absolutely top drawer. 

• Like 1

27 minutes ago, Darbsk said:

You say it doesn’t happen that often but I would disagree. Twice in the biggest game of the year against the top or a very top defence Mahomes literally had a guy 10 yards open. It’s not an exaggeration to say I’d have been 100% confidence I could have thrown those TDs especially as they were a first read too which is crucial. It’s not as if he had to go through progressions and find the open guy. That is genius from Reid. 

Now, it’s also important to say we’re not diminishing Mahones prowess in any way here, he is the de facto best QB in the world right now, no argument here. Just that it needs to be acknowledged what a great job the scheming and design did in the ultimate situation. This was against a great D in the biggest game too. I think for sure Mahomes helps given that the D has to defend him a certain way but still, that Playcalling and scheming is absolutely top drawer. 

Cause it happen twice in the biggest game of the year doesnt mean it happens alot. It was lterally the same play just reverse sides. Eagles defensive coordinator lived off talent not scheming. Kc shutdown that pass rush and he had no answers and just kept playing man. Eagles defense was highly overrated, aided by playing a bunch of bad to average qbs. When they motion since he was in man their was no pass off. So Eric B just faked the motion going across.  It was a good adjustment but nothing special to be honest. Nobody is denying that Andy aint the truth, But like Ive said before it didnt happen with alex smith. Mahommes makes it go. His off script plays make it go. Thats why their redzone % are so good. 

1 hour ago, dante9876 said:

Cause it happen twice in the biggest game of the year doesnt mean it happens alot. It was lterally the same play just reverse sides. Eagles defensive coordinator lived off talent not scheming. Kc shutdown that pass rush and he had no answers and just kept playing man. Eagles defense was highly overrated, aided by playing a bunch of bad to average qbs. When they motion since he was in man their was no pass off. So Eric B just faked the motion going across.  It was a good adjustment but nothing special to be honest. Nobody is denying that Andy aint the truth, But like Ive said before it didnt happen with alex smith. Mahommes makes it go. His off script plays make it go. Thats why their redzone % are so good. 

Whenever I watched the Chiefs they schemed guys open frequently, and that’s not the only examples in the Super Bowl. Smith Schuster was wide open a couple times too.

And yes, it did happen with Alex Smith! Do you not recall their games against us? Maybe you don’t watch the Chiefs that much, they’re on here a lot and every game Kielce is running wide open and they come up with something new. I hate it but it’s very impressive!

All of a sudden, the Eagles D is overrated? Nonsense 😁

Im not downplaying the D because they got beaten and outschemed by the best coach in the NFL.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 4

Eric Bienemy is a good coach (I actually went to Jr high with him before he got recruited by bishop Amat HS) but he’s not the play schemer/designer, that’s Reid. I’m sure he’s learning a lot from Reid but I don’t think those play designs are his. Fwiw, neither does the nfl apparently or Eric would be a head coach by now for sure. At least that seems to be the impression of writers etc. 

• Like 1

First and foremost Reid and Mahomes are amazing.  A big issue for the Eagles defense was not being able to pull away from the Chiefs.  If the fumble returned for a TD does not happen this game could have turned into a big win for the Eagles.  They could have started to really get after Mahomes and limit the play calling.  The Eagles were close to running away with it if they could have gone into the half up 24-7.

• Like 3

2 minutes ago, drfrey13 said:

First and foremost Reid and Mahomes are amazing.  A big issue for the Eagles defense was not being able to pull away from the Chiefs.  If the fumble returned for a TD does not happen this game could have turned into a big win for the Eagles.  They could have started to really get after Mahomes and limit the play calling.  The Eagles were close to running away with it if they could have gone into the half up 24-7.

This absolutely, I will give credit. Good halftime adjustments by KC. And IMO the game MVP was not mahomie, but the offensive line. 

• Like 2

11 minutes ago, Devilshark69 said:

This absolutely, I will give credit. Good halftime adjustments by KC. And IMO the game MVP was not mahomie, but the offensive line. 

Eagles d-line would destroy every o-line in the league if they are one dimensional.  The Chiefs o-line looked really good the last few weeks.  They where blowing the Bills d-line off the ball in the AFC championship the entire game.  

• Like 2

15 hours ago, Devilshark69 said:

Eric Bienemy is a good coach (I actually went to Jr high with him before he got recruited by bishop Amat HS) but he’s not the play schemer/designer, that’s Reid. I’m sure he’s learning a lot from Reid but I don’t think those play designs are his. Fwiw, neither does the nfl apparently or Eric would be a head coach by now for sure. At least that seems to be the impression of writers etc. 

I think it’s other stuff that we can’t talk about here that said guess he’s wash new ahc and oc very interesting esp since I’m hearing wash hc is on the hot seat

On 2/18/2023 at 6:43 AM, NCOUGHMAN said:

I think it’s other stuff that we can’t talk about here that said guess he’s wash new ahc and oc very interesting esp since I’m hearing wash hc is on the hot seat

The new ownership group apparently signed off on the EB hiring and he has a buyout on his contract. Seems like he's really the head coach in waiting and will be promoted after Rivera is fired in season.

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The new ownership group apparently signed off on the EB hiring and he has a buyout on his contract. Seems like he's really the head coach in waiting and will be promoted after Rivera is fired in season.

Is there a new ownership group?

I read somewhere that Rivera might end up in the FO in some capacity and then his HC of choice could be EB after a live test this year...interesting and seems too wild to me...

I highly doubt EB can replicate KC's success. He was a really good RB coach, but not a really good OC based on information from a KC fan, whos judgement I trust. 

Most probably he will bring a system and playbook with him, but I doubt he can develope Howell or could adapt his playbook, playcalling from week to week, from team to team...

• Like 1

5 minutes ago, Rolni said:

Is there a new ownership group?

I read somewhere that Rivera might end up in the FO in some capacity and then his HC of choice could be EB after a live test this year...interesting and seems too wild to me...

I highly doubt EB can replicate KC's success. He was a really good RB coach, but not a really good OC based on information from a KC fan, whos judgement I trust. 

Most probably he will bring a system and playbook with him, but I doubt he can develope Howell or could adapt his playbook, playcalling from week to week, from team to team...

I saw somewhere that the potential new ownership group(s) had signed off on the team hiring him, not sure how true that is though. 

Ultimately I think EB will eventually end up as Washington's next head coach just a question of how he gets there but Rivera stepping into a front office role with EB being promoted would make sense. 

I doubt that he'll be able to replicate the KC success either, the Chiefs have had arguably the greatest offensive stretch over a 5 year period in NFL history. He took over during Mahomes first season as a starter and hasn't ever called plays so it's difficult to really assess how good of a coach he really is and how much of it has been Reid/Mahomes. 

Going from Mahomes to Howell is probably one of the most drastic changes you can have as an offensive coach, it's literally going from the best starter in the league to arguably the worst. They need to improve their OL and figure out their QB situation but I actually like their skill position guys. I also don't really buy the notion that Howell is going to be the starter next year, I think they're prime candidates to move up for Richardson or Levis. 

• Like 1

On 2/17/2023 at 3:20 PM, drfrey13 said:

The biggest issue for the Eagles defense, IMO, was the wet field. Their pass rush was never able to get going largely in part to the bad field conditions. 

• Like 1

5 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The biggest issue for the Eagles defense, IMO, was the wet field. Their pass rush was never able to get going largely in part to the bad field conditions. 

That was also how the Chiefs were able to blow the Bills off the line on the frozen field.  You have to be able to adapt and the Chiefs were able to over the issues.