Around The League V.2

Totty

21 minutes ago, jimkelly02 said:

Ramsey definitely had a very bad year in ‘22 but I think he’s one of those guys that when he isn’t challenged or things aren’t going great on the team he stops caring as much.  That’s be a major problem if we trade for him because we don’t factor to be a contender next year… assuming we don’t get Rodgers.  

Ramsey graded out as PFF's #3 CB, how did he have a "very bad year?"

2 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Ramsey graded out as PFF's #3 CB, how did he have a "very bad year?"

We both know PFF has a place but can be off on some things.

https://www.sisdatahub.com/players/3896

Look at how his yards allowed, Completion percentage allowed, yards per target, and TD allowed jumped significantly in ‘22 versus ‘20 and ‘21.

Now, I’m sure you can find some reason why he’s better in ‘23 just to debate but 1) I didn’t study Ramsey this year, I only heard he had a down year from sources 2) and looked into the stats behind it.  

1 minute ago, jimkelly02 said:

We both know PFF has a place but can be off on some things.

https://www.sisdatahub.com/players/3896

Look at how his yards allowed, Completion percentage allowed, yards per target, and TD allowed jumped significantly in ‘22 versus ‘20 and ‘21.

Now, I’m sure you can find some reason why he’s better in ‘23 just to debate but 1) I didn’t study Ramsey this year, I only heard he had a down year from sources 2) and looked into the stats behind it.  

Even Ramsey in a down year is still very good though, those stats don't account for all of the plays that he took a guy out of the play. 

I wouldn't personally trade for him though, he's way too expensive and we have way too many holes. 

8 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

Even Ramsey in a down year is still very good though, those stats don't account for all of the plays that he took a guy out of the play. 

I wouldn't personally trade for him though, he's way too expensive and we have way too many holes. 

Yeah, I never said he stunk.  I don’t think he physically regressed.  I think he got complacent on a losing team, which we’ll be next year probably.   I, like you, think he’d be way too expensive contract AND cost of obtaining via trade.  I’d much rather draft a CB and have them cheap for 4-5 years then pay Ramsey big bucks while we rebuild.

But… I do stand by my statement that Ramsey had a down year for himself in ‘22.

Edited by jimkelly02
  • Like 1

Just now, jimkelly02 said:

Yeah, I never said he stunk.  I don’t think he physically regressed.  I think he got complacent on a losing team, which we’ll be next year probably.   I, like you, think he’d be way too expensive contract AND cost of obtaining via trade.  I’d much rather draft a CB and have them cheap for 4-5 years then pay Ramsey big bucks while we rebuild.

We aren't a player away and if we're going to take a swing on one big time addition it needs to be a QB. I don't think that he got complacent, I just think the Rams defense around him got significantly worse. 

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

We aren't a player away and if we're going to take a swing on one big time addition it needs to be a QB. I don't think that he got complacent, I just think the Rams defense around him got significantly worse. 

And to that point, why bring in a top CB using up that much cap space when we still have a non-existent pass rush? Ramsey can only be as good as his defense's pass rush allows him to be...

• Like 1

11 hours ago, jimkelly02 said:

But… I do stand by my statement that Ramsey had a down year for himself in ‘22.

I’d agree with this assessment. When I watched the Rams he looked just less sharp as you say, a bit complacent or frustrated maybe when he realised the team wasn’t going to be competing again. He wasn’t a liability but nowhere near his best. Maybe he bounces back but maybe that’s a trend…….That is not a good recipe for a player coming here. If you’re going to trade for a guy he has to be 100% bought in, to be fair like Adams was last year despite the situation.

Edited by Darbsk
  • Like 1

5 hours ago, Darbsk said:

...That is not a good recipe for a player coming here. If you’re going to trade for a guy he has to be 100% bought in, to be fair like Adams was last year despite the situation.

Yeah, as Zeigler has said we need a culture change and guys who buy in.  It can’t be the old Javon Walker FA signings were guys come here “for the bag” and believe they’re getting paid for the past production and not for the current and future.

• Like 1

16 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The Rams Super Bowl was definitely worth going all in to win but it's crazy how quickly they're falling off. They're devoid of talent basically everywhere outside of a handful of elite guys.

Both the Rams and Bucs have tried the “all in” route in the past few years. Worked for both of them, but they’re also both left looking a complete mess.

5 minutes ago, Nightmare said:

Both the Rams and Bucs have tried the “all in” route in the past few years. Worked for both of them, but they’re also both left looking a complete mess.

Compare that to the Chiefs, they’ve won 2 Super Bowls in 4 years making 4 straight AFC Championship games, and they aren’t slowing down. In fact they got rid of big names and they still won a SB.  Sure they have Mahomes but they also have a dang good staff and a strong roster. 

1 hour ago, Chali21 said:

Compare that to the Chiefs, they’ve won 2 Super Bowls in 4 years making 4 straight AFC Championship games, and they aren’t slowing down. In fact they got rid of big names and they still won a SB.  Sure they have Mahomes but they also have a dang good staff and a strong roster. 

That is one reason why I wanted to sell high on a few players last year and think our best option is to trade players with high value still on the roster.  I would rather have young hungry players that need coaching then all pros that are frustrated because the team is not competing.  This is based off of where the team is right now.  If we would have traded Carr, Waller, and Renfrow while not trading for Adams that would mean we would have 6-10 young players on rookie deals over the next 4-5 years from the 1st and 2nd round.  We would have struggled last year and probably this year but we should have had an ascending roster.  Now I could not tell you with any certainty if the roster is going to be better or worse in the next couple years.  JMD and Z screwed the team year 1.  I do not know if that was Davis or not but we are stuck and need to get lucky along with being smart to get out of this in the next couple years.

3 hours ago, agarcia34 said:

I don’t think going after Ramsey with a rookie QB or a QB not named Rodgers is a smart move. Buying an asset that you have no ability to fully take advantage of. 

Forget Rodgers.  We would have to fix the d-line for it to be worth it for the defense then add a top QB for it to be worth it for the team.  I would only go after him if he came at a price that is far below what he and the Rams are willing to take.  I very little interest in putting together a team that has a shot at the playoffs.  We need to take the next couple years to develop a team that is a playoff team that adds a top player or two to be a contender.  By the time we have a top team our prime players will mostly not be in their prime.  I would trade any players with value that were 27 or over.  If I could get anything for Cole or Carlson I would trade them also.

Depends on the asking price, but I'd take Ramsey if it's a 3rd or later.  

Just get good players in the building and raise the level of competition. It only take a couple alpha guys to elevate players around them. 

Stop trying to run a team with mediocre players and wondering why you suck. 

Ramsey on the back end with Maxx upfront would 2 good lynchpins for the defense to build around.