Around The League V.2

Totty

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

The entire Lamar saga has been crazy, I thought at least one team would want to take the chance.

Just shows how quickly the league is willing to move on from someone. 

2 years ago, there's probably 18 GMs in the league that would have gladly gone after him. 

A couple of injuries, a statistical downturn, and drama queen antics later, he's getting about as cold a market as I've ever seen for a mid 20-something supposed franchise QB. 

I think it goes to show that taking massive projects in round 1 is probably a fool's errand, Josh Allen being the outlier.  A guy can be exciting as hell for a year or two, but if he doesn't make huge strides or doesn't really progress at all, within a couple of years he'll go from fringe top 5-8ish to back half of the league or worse as better prospects come out annually. 

Since Lamar's big 2019, the AFC alone has added Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Lawrence, Jones, and Pickett. At least 5 of those 6 are better passers than Lamar, and while not as flashy as runners, have enough juice to wind up arguably the better QBs. Add in Mahomes, Watson, Allen, maybe Rodgers for a year, and probably 2 of the big 4 rookies this year, and Lamar may genuinely be the 12th or so ranked QB in the conference, much less the league.

Even if he's ranked a smidge higher (let's count Rodgers, any rookies, Pickett, even Jones and Tua out), no way Jackson is a better QB than Mahomes, Watson, Herbert, Burrow, Lawrence, and Allen. So at best, he's the 7th best QB in the AFC and wants a massive guaranteed contract? The Ravens are right to want massive comp for him, but the numbers game just doesn't play out favorably for him whereas a couple of years ago it would've been a whole different story. 

He's probably somewhere close to the 20th best QB in the league right now with a bit of wiggle room. But that means there's somewhere between 14-17 teams that have a better option and no incentive to go after him at all. Of the 18 or so teams that could potentially be in play, many either have a QB close to his ranking on rookie deals or have a shot at getting a QB better than a back half of the league QB for 1 pick and a rookie contract instead of multiple high picks and a huge contract. 

With the exception of the Colts (in play) and Commanders (out), who is really out there in a position to give up that much AND have the incentive to do so?

Like I said, a couple of years ago, he was arguably one of the top 3-4 young QBs in the AFC. Now, he's a JAG QB in the AFC well behind QBs that came in over the last few years. Most teams are probably observant enough to realize that better QBs than him are coming into the league every year. Trade the house for him, and by the time you have a 1st round pick again, he's probably going to be a bottom 8 or 9 starter in the league at the rate things seem to be going. His lack of progress as a passer really did him in, imo. 

1 hour ago, Humble_Beast said:

Irv Smith to the Bengals. I wish we signed him instead of Hooper. Feels like he can break out on a new team 

No thanks. Irv Smith is trash. Thought he was a super overhyped draft prospect as well. 

6 hours ago, BayRaider said:

No thanks. Irv Smith is trash. Thought he was a super overhyped draft prospect as well. 

Bengals seem to have an opposite viewpoint. No offense but they are one of the best teams in the league and signed him. I think that has more weight in opinion 

8 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

2 years ago, there's probably 18 GMs in the league that would have gladly gone after him. 

A couple of injuries, a statistical downturn, and drama queen antics later, he's getting about as cold a market as I've ever seen for a mid 20-something supposed franchise QB. 

I think it goes to show that taking massive projects in round 1 is probably a fool's errand, Josh Allen being the outlier.  A guy can be exciting as hell for a year or two, but if he doesn't make huge strides or doesn't really progress at all, within a couple of years he'll go from fringe top 5-8ish to back half of the league or worse as better prospects come out annually. 

Since Lamar's big 2019, the AFC alone has added Burrow, Tua, Herbert, Lawrence, Jones, and Pickett. At least 5 of those 6 are better passers than Lamar, and while not as flashy as runners, have enough juice to wind up arguably the better QBs. Add in Mahomes, Watson, Allen, maybe Rodgers for a year, and probably 2 of the big 4 rookies this year, and Lamar may genuinely be the 12th or so ranked QB in the conference, much less the league.

Even if he's ranked a smidge higher (let's count Rodgers, any rookies, Pickett, even Jones and Tua out), no way Jackson is a better QB than Mahomes, Watson, Herbert, Burrow, Lawrence, and Allen. So at best, he's the 7th best QB in the AFC and wants a massive guaranteed contract? The Ravens are right to want massive comp for him, but the numbers game just doesn't play out favorably for him whereas a couple of years ago it would've been a whole different story. 

He's probably somewhere close to the 20th best QB in the league right now with a bit of wiggle room. But that means there's somewhere between 14-17 teams that have a better option and no incentive to go after him at all. Of the 18 or so teams that could potentially be in play, many either have a QB close to his ranking on rookie deals or have a shot at getting a QB better than a back half of the league QB for 1 pick and a rookie contract instead of multiple high picks and a huge contract. 

With the exception of the Colts (in play) and Commanders (out), who is really out there in a position to give up that much AND have the incentive to do so?

Like I said, a couple of years ago, he was arguably one of the top 3-4 young QBs in the AFC. Now, he's a JAG QB in the AFC well behind QBs that came in over the last few years. Most teams are probably observant enough to realize that better QBs than him are coming into the league every year. Trade the house for him, and by the time you have a 1st round pick again, he's probably going to be a bottom 8 or 9 starter in the league at the rate things seem to be going. His lack of progress as a passer really did him in, imo. 

Meh I think it’s more about that contract and the owners are making a statement together not to mention the details of the tag is hard to work with. A team could go all in have their $ frozen all while Balt can just match it

2 hours ago, Humble_Beast said:

Bengals seem to have an opposite viewpoint. No offense but they are one of the best teams in the league and signed him. I think that has more weight in opinion 

Irv is bad. Always injured and has horrible hands. His contract should come in close to Hooper's and at least Hooper has shown high-end ability before.

Irv is young and it wouldnt be the first time a player needed a new team to shine. I think he can be good and has a lot of unrealized potential. Hooper best football is behind. Hooper is solid but doesn’t have the ceiling. 

Edited by Humble_Beast
  • Like 1

12 hours ago, ronjon1990 said:

The way I see it is you have to pay 40-45 million a year guaranteed and then give up a 1st and a 2nd round pick for an injury prone QB who only won one payoff game.

This sounds crazy.

Edited by Bitty 2.0

8 minutes ago, Bitty 2.0 said:

The way I see it is you have to pay 40-45 million a year guaranteed and then give up a 1st and a 2nd round pick for an injury prone QB who only won one payoff game.

This sounds crazy.

But the Browns just did it for Watson who had torn both of his ACL's in the past, sat out the entire previous season, had a ton of issues off the field, was suspended for the majority of this season too, and only had 1 playoff win as well. 

55 minutes ago, NYRaider said:

But the Browns just did it for Watson who had torn both of his ACL's in the past, sat out the entire previous season, had a ton of issues off the field, was suspended for the majority of this season too, and only had 1 playoff win as well. 

Exception, not a rule.

It's the Browns, they've never been known for good ideas and are on like QB 20 in the last decade. Why would any team try to emulate Cleveland? Lol

• Like 1

1 hour ago, NYRaider said:

And the entire NFL was like why in the F would you do that.

2 hours ago, NYRaider said:

The whole Watson trade and contract was just crazy. I doubt that will ever happen again.