Adam Gase hired to be the HC of the NYJ

jetskid007

So I was with my cousin that's tapped in all day yesterday and got a lot of news on our coaching front. One thing I will say: for all the grief the Jets have been getting in regards to staffing on the media front, a lot of agents applauded their decision to do so, and word is it has Christopher Johnson's prerogative. Teams always want to know who the coach has in mind, but apparently Chris did a lot of research on this front. Since he took over, he's taken his job extremely seriously, and one of the things he reportedly didn't like was the staff Todd assembled... the phase this CAA agent said was that our staff "lacked a common goal" and there while each coach is going to have their own approach, a lot of our guys were vastly different from one another. Obviously Maccagnan and his team knew more guys around the league so were able to make suggestions and give input on more names, but CJ deserves a lot of credit for mandating that the Jets undertake a meticulous search not only that applied to HC candidates, but their staffs. The Jets want to have the right staff that share one vision, will be a match for the current personnel, and are known for their more discipline and innovation. One man isn't going to rebuild this football team, it's going to take a lot of really good, smart coaches, and as much as I preferred McCarthy/Rhule/Kingsbury, it makes sense the Jets didn't offer them the job after being underwhelmed with their staffing ideas. Also note that money isn't an object- the Jets are willing to pay a premium for premium coaches regardless of the money still owed to coaches who won't be here. 

Some names mentioned:  

Obviously we know about Gase's history with QBs and there's been talk of Loggains, but the expectation is expectation is we'll be adding a few coaches that have history with Quarterbacks. Loggains gets a lot of flack for his failures as a play-caller, he's considered one of the better QB coaches amongst his colleagues, he just hasn't worked with a lot of QB talent. Look out for guys like Greg Knapp, Jim Bob Cooter, Mike McCoy to all be considered for roles on offense given their versatile coaching background. The Jets will try to get Eric Studesville to coach the RBs, but he's under contract with the Dolphins still and there are rumors Flores will want to keep him. There is also a rumor going around among agents that former Jets OL coach Bill Callahan could be a candidate to be our OL coach once again... he showed that an old dog can learn new tricks, as he meshed his traditional power-blocking scheme with a lot more zone concepts in 2018, and his unit did a fairly impressive job considering all the injuries this season. 

On defense, there were rumors that the players took advantage of Bowles/Rodgers as the season wore on... enter Gregg Williams, one of the most intense coaches in the NFL who holds his players accountable and will get the most out of our premier personnel (Leo, Lee, Adams, etc.). Agents have said that our defensive staff will be fairly deep, and we could have Look for him to keep Dennard Wilson, whom Williams worked with in STL (also arguably the best assistant coach from last years team). Blake Williams (Gregg's son) is expected to come here, and look for the Jets to try and add Tony Oden, Kris Kocurek, and Frank Bush for some of their openings if they get out of their contracts (they all are expected to). 

Our special teams coaches will remain in place, as expected. 

Edited by jetskid007
  • Like 5

6 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

So I was with my cousin that's tapped in all day yesterday and got a lot of news on our coaching front. One thing I will say: for all the grief the Jets have been getting in regards to staffing on the media front, a lot of agents applauded their decision to do so, and word is it has Christopher Johnson's prerogative. Teams always want to know who the coach has in mind, but apparently Chris did a lot of research on this front. Since he took over, he's taken his job extremely seriously, and one of the things he reportedly didn't like was the staff Todd assembled... the phase this CAA agent said was that our staff "lacked a common goal" and there while each coach is going to have their own approach, a lot of our guys were vastly different from one another. Obviously Maccagnan and his team knew more guys around the league so were able to make suggestions and give input on more names, but CJ deserves a lot of credit for mandating that the Jets undertake a meticulous search not only that applied to HC candidates, but their staffs. The Jets want to have the right staff that share one vision, will be a match for the current personnel, and are known for their more discipline and innovation. One man isn't going to rebuild this football team, it's going to take a lot of really good, smart coaches, and as much as I preferred McCarthy/Rhule/Kingsbury, it makes sense the Jets didn't offer them the job after being underwhelmed with their staffing ideas. Also note that money isn't an object- the Jets are willing to pay a premium for premium coaches regardless of the money still owed to coaches who won't be here. 

Some names mentioned:  

Obviously we know about Gase's history with QBs and there's been talk of Loggains, but the expectation is expectation is we'll be adding a few coaches that have history with Quarterbacks. Loggains gets a lot of flack for his failures as a play-caller, he's considered one of the better QB coaches amongst his colleagues, he just hasn't worked with a lot of QB talent. Look out for guys like Greg Knapp, Jim Bob Cooter, Mike McCoy to all be considered for roles on offense given their versatile coaching background. The Jets will try to get Eric Studesville to coach the RBs, but he's under contract with the Dolphins still and there are rumors Flores will want to keep him. There is also a rumor going around among agents that former Jets OL coach Bill Callahan could be a candidate to be our OL coach once again... he showed that an old dog can learn new tricks, as he meshed his traditional power-blocking scheme with a lot more zone concepts in 2018, and his unit did a fairly impressive job considering all the injuries in 2018. 

On defense, there were rumors that the players took advantage of Bowles/Rodgers as the season wore on... enter Gregg Williams, one of the most intense coaches in the NFL who holds his players accountable and will get the most out of our premier personnel (Leo, Lee, Adams, etc.). Agents have said that our defensive staff will be fairly deep, and we could have Look for him to keep Dennard Wilson, whom Williams worked with in STL (also arguably the best assistant coach from last years team). Blake Williams (Gregg's son) is expected to come here, and look for the Jets to try and add Tony Oden, Kris Kocurek, and Frank Bush for some of their openings if they get out of their contracts (they all are expected to). 

Our special teams coaches will remain in place, as expected. 

This is great info. I really hope Gregg Williams gets announced as an official hire soon. 

Just now, mattmanz91 said:

This is great info. I really hope Gregg Williams gets announced as an official hire soon. 

As we've come to learn, nothing should be assumed until ink hits paper, but it sounds like there was a lot of mutual interest there even before hiring Gase. The Jets have had desires to have a defensive staff that matches the intensity of Adams. Adams + an aggressive staff should result in a trickle-down effect to the rest of the unit. 

• Like 1

Thanks for the info. I’ve gotten the feeling that CJ is really handling things the right way. Your inside info continues to show that. I really like the direction this team is going. I believe we have the Right formula. All hinges on Macc though. He needs to execute this FA and draft. 

7 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

As we've come to learn, nothing should be assumed until ink hits paper, but it sounds like there was a lot of mutual interest there even before hiring Gase. The Jets have had desires to have a defensive staff that matches the intensity of Adams. Adams + an aggressive staff should result in a trickle-down effect to the rest of the unit. 

This team could be fun to watch. Man I can’t wait.