Adam Gase hired to be the HC of the NYJ

jetskid007

I've never felt more tepid for a hire. Gase had it pretty bad in MIA, but I really wanted a name with flash. MM has a winning record and has produced an elite QB while doing it. Even those college guys everyone is enamored with would be more exciting to have. Hopefully I'm wrong but this just feels like a few 9-7 seasons in the making. I'll reserve the rest of my judgement for the coordinators.

6 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Plus Adams(who fits anywhere) will be an absolute weapon for him. Just need some edge rushers. Imagine if Bosa falls. 

Oh God 

Just basing off how his defense operated last year... 

• DL: We would need 2 new EDGE rushers, but Leo/Shepherd/Pennel would be fine in the middle. If we were to re-sign Henry Anderson, he'd likely line up at DE in the base and move inside on 3rd downs, but I think he becomes far less of a priority. 
  • LB: Williamson and Lee slide right in as the WLB and MLB. If Jenkins is viewed as a 3-down player they would play him at SLB and move him to DE in passing situations (similar to the way Avery was used). An upgrade I can think of off the top of my head: Josh Allen. 
  •  DB: the return of Rex's press-man scheme. Adams' role would not change; he'd continue to be aggressive, play in the box, and blitz a lot. Maye would remain a traditional middle-of-the-field deep FS. Trumaine would go back to doing what he does best. We can consider re-signing Mo Claiborne, as he fits best in press-man, or give one of the incumbents (Derrick Jones) a shot. Finding a slot corner is a need, but also possible Williams would take a liking to Parry Nickerson. 

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJerseypaint said:

I've never felt more tepid for a hire. Gase had it pretty bad in MIA, but I really wanted a name with flash. MM has a winning record and has produced an elite QB while doing it. Even those college guys everyone is enamored with would be more exciting to have. Hopefully I'm wrong but this just feels like a few 9-7 seasons in the making. I'll reserve the rest of my judgement for the coordinators.

Gase and McCarthy over the past 3 years have almost identical records and one had Aaron Rodgers. 

5 minutes ago, NJerseypaint said:

Everyone keeps giving credit to McCarthy developing Rodgers, yet most have no idea who Tom Clements is

10 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Gase and McCarthy over the past 3 years have almost identical records and one had Aaron Rodgers. 

Doesn't change the fact that McCarthy has a winning career record and Gase doesn't. 3 seasons isn't a great sample, and I already said he was dealt a terrible hand in MIA, but winning is winning.

5 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

Everyone keeps giving credit to McCarthy developing Rodgers, yet most have no idea who Tom Clements is

So McCarthy had no hand in Rodger's development? The guy had Aaron Brooks looking like an All-Star in NO and when he left, Brooks fluttered.

• Like 1

6 minutes ago, barnaby8787 said:

I know who he is, I watched him play a lot for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and also the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. :) 

I am just completely unimpressed and disillusioned about the hiring of Gase. Yeah maybe he is a good fit and maybe he is an up-and-coming coach. BUT, it just feels like we hired a guy because we saw more of him inside the division than anybody else. It is hardly outside the box, and if any team in pro sports history needs to start thinking outside the box it's us. 

AND, we will probably hire a good DC and that will ensure mediocrity for the foreseeable future. Same ol' lame-*** Jets.

The ONLY thing that can save us now, as well as the Bills and Dolphins, is a loss to the Chargers by NE this weekend followed by an implosion between coach and QB. Otherwise, Brady is going to be 50 years old and winning the division.

• Like 1

1 minute ago, NJerseypaint said:

Doesn't change the fact that McCarthy has a winning career record and Gase doesn't. 3 seasons isn't a great sample, and I already said he was dealt a terrible hand in MIA, but winning is winning.

So McCarthy had no hand in Rodger's development? The guy had Aaron Brooks looking like an All-Star in NO and when he left, Brooks fluttered.

Clements made Grbac, Maddox, and K. Stewart pro bowlers.  He was also the guy sitting on the sidelines guiding Flynn through NO's D in his one crazy game.  I'm not saying that McCarthy had no part of it, but people making him out to be this crazy offensive guru forget that the QB whisperer was with him on the sidelines.  McCarthy's offense was advanced 15-20 years ago.  15-20 years later, it's highly outdated.

5 minutes ago, Jag68Sid87 said:

I know who he is, I watched him play a lot for the Hamilton Tiger-Cats and also the Winnipeg Blue Bombers. :) 

I am just completely unimpressed and disillusioned about the hiring of Gase. Yeah maybe he is a good fit and maybe he is an up-and-coming coach. BUT, it just feels like we hired a guy because we saw more of him inside the division than anybody else. It is hardly outside the box, and if any team in pro sports history needs to start thinking outside the box it's us. 

AND, we will probably hire a good DC and that will ensure mediocrity for the foreseeable future. Same ol' lame-*** Jets.

The ONLY thing that can save us now, as well as the Bills and Dolphins, is a loss to the Chargers by NE this weekend followed by an implosion between coach and QB. Otherwise, Brady is going to be 50 years old and winning the division.

I would've taken McCarthy over Gase also, but I don't get why people think McCarthy is a slam-dunk hire.  The fact that more teams had interest in Eric Bienemy than him says a lot.

Edited by barnaby8787

1 minute ago, barnaby8787 said:

Clements made Grbac, Maddox, and K. Stewart pro bowlers.  He was also the guy sitting on the sidelines guiding Flynn through NO's D in his one crazy game.  I'm not saying that McCarthy had no part of it, but people making him out to be this crazy offensive guru forget that the QB whisperer was with him on the sidelines.  McCarthy's offense was advanced 15-20 years ago.  15-20 years later, it's highly outdated.

While I tend to agree with this, and I would not have found a McCarthy hiring particularly inspiring either, Gase just seems like a guy who can be a good OC but is in way over his head as a head coach. Which sounds an awful lot like Todd Bowles to me.