Adam Gase hired to be the HC of the NYJ

jetskid007

18 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

It's not the actual act of calling plays, it's that, as an offensive play caller you have more responsibilities.

As the OC/ play caller, it's your job to get every player on that side of the ball prepared, as well as create a game plan and make in game adjustments. A QB coach, coachs the QBs and their main responsibility is only that position group. I'm sure a QB coach also has a hand in game planning and can be a sounding board for the OC/playcaller, but at the end of the day, they have significantly less responsibility than the person calling the plays. 

All I'm saying is that it seems like being the OC/playcaller is a helpful step in a coaches development that would ulitmately increase their probability of success.

Would McVay have had the same success if he was hired a few years earlier as a QB coach? Maybe, but I have to think the few years he spent handling the offense was valuable experience for him in the grand scheme of things. 

Well Taylor was OC for Miami and Univ. Of Cincy. 

Also Andy Reid went from QB coach to Head Coach. 

3 hours ago, ekill08x said:

Truth is we really didn’t know much about Gase and probably didn’t research him much because nobody expected us to hire him. After really digging deep, I have more faith in what we’re doing here than I did before. We didn’t go boring, stale and conservative and we might just be rewarded.

Kind of like the trade up to 3 for Darnold, this move was aggressive, bold, and risky. They didn’t care about the fan backlash and hired the coach that checked the boxes they wanted checked. Let’s hope it works out as well as the trade up.

• Like 1

10 minutes ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Well Taylor was OC for Miami and Univ. Of Cincy. 

Also Andy Reid went from QB coach to Head Coach. 

Miami was a brief stint as an interim, however he did a good job in college. I'll admit I didn't know he was an OC in college, I thought it was just that short while in Miami. 

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it's a bit unusual and the experience calling plays and running the offense has significant advantages in the development of a coach. 

Edited by mattmanz91

5 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

Miami was a brief stint as an interim, however he did a good job in college. I'll admit I didn't know he was an OC in college, I thought it was just that short while in Miami. 

I'm not saying it can't be done, I'm just saying it's a bit unusual and the experience calling plays and running the offense has significant advantages in the development of a coach. 

Fair points. 

I think leadership, accountability and picking the right coaches is way more important. 

Theres certain things in terms of being a head coach you won’t grasp until you become one, so it’s always tough to gauge.

1 minute ago, KingOfTheDot said:

Fair points. 

I think leadership, accountability and picking the right coaches is way more important. 

Theres certain things in terms of being a head coach you won’t grasp until you become one, so it’s always tough to gauge.

I'll agree with you there 100% coaching staff is an underrated, yet extremely important part of picking the right HC. 

1 hour ago, mattmanz91 said:

Rhule was my first choice, I really liked him. If this article is true and the OC he picked would have been a first time playcaller, I think the Jets made the right decision. A first time HC and first time OC would have been risky with Darnold.

I liked him too but it seems bad timing for both sides.  If Jets crashed hard in 3 years and Matt Rhule still coached Baylor team then I would go after him hard.

1 hour ago, mattmanz91 said:
Rhule was my first choice, I really liked him. If this article is true and the OC he picked would have been a first time playcaller, I think the Jets made the right decision. A first time HC and first time OC would have been risky with Darnold.

Yup. It was the right call. Everyone is saying, we shouldn’t tell these head coaches who to hire. But I don’t think that is right. You are hiring a coaching staff not just a HC. If we weren’t comfortable with the coordinators he or McCarthy were thinking about, than that’s enough to say no even if we liked them more as the head coach.

• Like 1

One thing that's bothering me about Gase is, why does he want to bring dowell logains with him wherever he goes, he's awful. You'd think with how smart everyone says he is, he'd want to bring in an up and comer that he can bounce ideas off of and get some positive feedback. 

17 minutes ago, mattmanz91 said:

One thing that's bothering me about Gase is, why does he want to bring dowell logains with him wherever he goes, he's awful. You'd think with how smart everyone says he is, he'd want to bring in an up and comer that he can bounce ideas off of and get some positive feedback. 

What makes Dowell Logan’s awful? 

Wow did Bro and Evan really top their patheticness from yesterday today. They are actually making me defend Manish, which I hate, so in turn I reallllly hate these guys. I think Manish is a clown like most of us, but him giving reasons why he likes Gase over McCarthy and them literally dismissing every point and screaming over him was just a clown show. Bro and Evan need to retire.