Adam Gase hired to be the HC of the NYJ

jetskid007

17 minutes ago, BlaZeN37 said:

Everyone should listen to this Brock Osweiler interview regarding Gase...

https://youtu.be/d0Lu33OnWjc

I love the sound of the tough love. That’s parcells and bellichick type coaching. Coaching millennials just sucks so I hope he’s tough on everyone. Jamal wanted dawgs, this is a dawg HC. I like the hire but Adam needs a damn good DC.

44 minutes ago, Bianconero said:

I'm sure Jarvis Landry already filled Jamal in with everything he needs to know

The one thing I'll say about Landry is that Gase was right about his skill sets as a player. He made Landry arguably the best slot receiver in the NFL, but Landry wanted more. Gase told him he wasn't able to be an outside receiver and his route tree was limited. 

His season this year proved that he is not that great of a fit on the outside. Can he do it? Yes. But he was far less productive on the outside than he was in the slot. 

Believe it or not I meant to post this way back when the players were criticizing Bates for their roles. Sometimes player's think they're far more capable than they really are. They should think that way- that's what got them here- but many times the coaches are right. 

• Like 3

Maybe there's more to this than we know in terms of Gase's standing in NFL insider circles, etc. The reports they were actually after Rhule however, and the deal fell apart over staff control can't help but make me sour on this outcome. In hindsight now, we as Jet fans should have insisted Macaggnon go along with Bowles. It seems like nothing good comes from leaving a damaged executive in a power structure as weak as the Jets FO.

Rhule was my first choice so I'm luke warm on this hire. However it is fair for the jets to be concerned with the staff he could have put together even though I think he could have done a good job. 

I might be in the minority here, but I think when a 2 time super bowl champ, first ballot hall of Famer, and a guy who is widely known as one the most intelligent and cerebral QBs to ever play the game advocates for a coach when he gets nothing in return, means something. Peyton frequently spoke about how Gase shared his obsession of the game, I have to think that will be a great resource for Darnold.

Also if reports are true that Darnold spoke to Gase prior to the hire, and Darnold felt comfortable and was on board with the hire, that means something as well. He obviously wouldn't have said  "hell no, this guy sucks, don't hire him" but I do feel that if he didn't get a good feeling he would have respectfully relayed those feeling to Macc and CJ.

Just now, mattmanz91 said:
I might be in the minority here, but I think when a 2 time super bowl champ, first ballot hall of Famer, and a guy who is widely known as one the most intelligent and cerebral QBs to ever play the game advocates for a coach when he gets nothing in return, means something. Peyton frequently spoke about how Gase shared his obsession of the game, I have to think that will be a great resource for Darnold.

Also if reports are true that Darnold spoke to Gase prior to the hire, and Darnold felt comfortable and was on board with the hire, that means something as well. He obviously wouldn't have said  "hell no, this guy sucks, don't hire him" but I do feel that if he didn't get a good feeling he would have respectfully relayed those feeling to Macc and CJ.

I don't think many articulate Jets fans are questioning his ability to coach offense. The stats may not back it up, but everyone knows he's a good offensive coach. 

My fear is whether he's fit to be a head coach. He is a tireless worker, has a great understanding for Xs and Os, has a good eye for talent, knows how to maximize a player's abilities, and fairly good at situational football. But that's not all that being a HC is about. 

Among all things, a Head Coach needs to define an identity/culture, delegate responsibilities, and manage the egos of players, coaches, and executives. There's enough out there that shows he wasn't able to do that successfully. It kind of reminds me of the Josh McDaniels situation in Denver. High profile, young coach, was given the keys to the car too early, and it didn't go as planned. I have no respect for McDaniels after what he did last year, and we have no idea how he'll be in his next stint as a HC, but read what he had to say about his time in DEN:

PHOENIX — If Josh McDaniels had it to do over again in Denver, he might have heard out what his coordinators Mike McCoy, Mike Nolan and Don Martindale had to say about game-planning.

McDaniels might have allowed general manager Brian Xanders or scouting director Matt Russell to have more input on the roster.

“I made a lot of mistakes there. You know that,” McDaniels said Tuesday during Super Bowl XLIX media day. “But I think it was a great learning experience for myself, and hopefully I’ve grown from that and will continue to grow from that.”

Sounds eerily similar to Gase in MIA. No one questions his football acumen, but Gase was too much of a control freak. It rubbed some players the wrong way, but he - like McDaniels - had control over the 53 man roster which reportedly led to clashes with upper management. He wanted to get rid of players that Tannenbaum/Grier had drafted before he joined the club, and if those players didn't get moved he either clashed with them, was overly harsh towards them publicly, or just didn't play them. McDaniels did the same. McDaniels says he's learned, but he's also 8 years removed. Gase will be 1 month removed.

How do we know that he was able to clearly understand the changes he needed to make and apply them to the Jets job? I guess time will tell, but going in you would be foolish not to be a little concerned. 

Three things that make Gase a right coach for Jets.

1. Head Coach experience. Checked.

Hiring experienced head coach as Jets' head coach will be marked as the first time that is happened since Bill Parcels which was back in 1997.

2. Offensive mind coach. Checked.

That ought to end the steak of defensive mind dominance. YAH!

3. Not married to one system aka my way bs.

Gase doesn't clear out the roster just because there is no talent that will work in his system.  He goes with what talents are bringing to the table.  That is important to Mike Maccagnan who will continue collecting his talents for Jets.

• Like 2

I have to find who said it, but a reputable NFL analyst wrote on twitter that Gase outlined a list of players he would target if the Jets had hired him. He has an interesting eye for talent. Albert Gase's darling was Albert Wilson last year, and he was a big part of that offense until he got hurt. I wonder if there is anyone of that ilk in FA this year. 

Only players I can think of are Adam Humphries and Golden Tate

6 minutes ago, jetskid007 said:

I have to find who said it, but a reputable NFL analyst wrote on twitter that Gase outlined a list of players he would target if the Jets had hired him. He has an interesting eye for talent. Albert Gase's darling was Albert Wilson last year, and he was a big part of that offense until he got hurt. I wonder if there is anyone of that ilk in FA this year. 

Only players I can think of are Adam Humphries and Golden Tate

I am cool with either.

If OL is not included on his upgrade list then there is something's wrong.