Jets hire Adam Gase as HC

barnaby8787

2 hours ago, MKnight82 said:

Why?  Great hire imo.  Miami was dumb for letting him go.

1 hour ago, jrry32 said:

I felt like he overachieved in Miami.

Both of these.  I think this was the 2nd best HC hire after BA.  The fact that he got Miami to the playoffs once and had them contending for a playoff spot this year is very impressive.  Gase had to deal with poor talent evaluation, overpriced FAs, and one of the three worst owners in the NFL.  Oh, and his starting QB was available for half of the games.

No HC can have consistent success fighting against all that.

Yeah I love the Gase hire

Tannenhill is one of those mediocre QBs that’s gonna get any coach fired because your never going to be a top tier team but he’ll keep you from being too sucky to get a high pick. 

Gase will be a great fit with Darnold. Great hire by the Jets 

1 hour ago, The LBC said:

Peyton would have recommended Gase for any job - Peyton is Gase's shill at this point.  Peyton wants to get "his guy" a job so, and this isn't me trying to be mean-spirited just very reasonably skeptical, he's going to say whatever he needs to and pitch Gase as being a great fit however he needs to get Adam the job.  Basically, he's got Gase's best interest in mind more than he does Darnold's.

Okay, but responding to your original point about Darnold, I mean, if Darnold is endorsing the Gase hiring - then that bodes well for the "fit". I don't think Darnold would be excited for Gase if he didn't think it was a good match. Like others have mentioned, Gase has worked with many quarterbacks and found success. Factoring in personality, age, and opportunity, I'd say this is actually a great hiring by the Jets organization. Maybe, (like I said), Matt Rhule is a better potential head coach option but Gase fits the bill with what the Jets organization needs now that they've got their quarterback.

Gase is very smart, but being smart only gets you so far. Especially when you're arrogant. Too smart for his own good perhaps. He didn't address the QB position. He tied himself down to Tannehill who could no longer stay healthy and one that most people view as bad or below average. He never brought in competition. He brought in Jay Cutler and Brock Osweiler instead. He completely failed as a QB whisperer. He built a soft team on both sides just like Joe Philbin. He was horrendous on the road (although good at home). He traded talented players away to build a culture that lead to the locker room disliking him. He failed to bring in veteran coordinators to help him learn on the job. His play calling was pretty good at times, but overall was very questionable and at times outright abysmal. Examples such as running on 1st and 20, throwing the ball behind the 1st down marker on 3rd down, constantly relying on screen passes, and being inconsistent with the identity of the offense. The defense was horrendous every year largely because we built a soft team upfront and we never hired a competent veteran DC. Gase needed to give up play calling on offense and also focus on the defense. The defense felt neglected. It was historically terrible for 3 years. 

Gase could be a good HC, but he needs to learn from these problems and lower his ego.

27 minutes ago, SmittyBacall said:

Which teams will be in the market for a new HC next offseason?

Ravens, Texans, Cowboys, Steelers, Vikings, Redskins, Falcons, Lions, Jaguars?

I'd lay good odds on the Redskins if Snyder can be convinced to part ways with Bruce Allen.  @CWood21 @Ketchup feel free to correct me here, but McCarthy has struck me as the type of coach that wouldn't necessarily mesh well with the Snyder/Allen toady dynamic.

6 minutes ago, Lilseb93 said:

Gase is very smart, but being smart only gets you so far. Especially when you're arrogant. Too smart for his own good perhaps. He didn't address the QB position. He tied himself down to Tannehill who could no longer stay healthy and one that most people view as bad or below average. He never brought in competition. He brought in Jay Cutler and Brock Osweiler instead. He completely failed as a QB whisperer. He built a soft team on both sides just like Joe Philbin. He was horrendous on the road (although good at home). He traded talented players away to build a culture that lead to the locker room disliking him. He failed to bring in veteran coordinators to help him learn on the job. His play calling was pretty good at times, but overall was very questionable and at times outright abysmal. Examples such as running on 1st and 20, throwing the ball behind the 1st down marker on 3rd down, constantly relying on screen passes, and being inconsistent with the identity of the offense. The defense was horrendous every year largely because we built a soft team upfront and we never hired a competent veteran DC. Gase needed to give up play calling on offense and also focus on the defense. The defense felt neglected. It was historically terrible for 3 years. 

Gase could be a good HC, but he needs to learn from these problems and lower his ego.

This. He should have taken an OC job for a year or two and then try again. 

Funny thing is folks in here are saying we overachieved yet ignoring that we had a better offense prior with Philbin AND averaged more wins under Philbin with a worse roster. 

Overall, Gase was a more arrogant version of Joe Philbin. It was the exact same team. They were always soft upfront on both sides which destroyed any chance of the team ever being successful. If Tannehill was ever going to be good, it was never going to happen when you have an O-line that gets ran over by anyone physical. An O-line that Gase built. How many times have we ignored the guard position? A LOT. The wide 9 zone scheme on defense that he ran with Vance Joseph and Matt Burke was historically awful. He should have hired a veteran DC. The defense felt neglected by him. It didn't seem to get a lot of attention. The LB position was complete garbage the entire 3 years. We couldn't cover TEs to save our lives. He pissed the players off with his arrogance and in the final stretch of this season he was full of excuses like the teams we played on the road were hot at the time. There was just no progress. The Dolphins made the right move to fire him. Even if we're bad, we needed to rebuild. If we kept Gase, we would have got rid of Tannehill, and reached for a QB in a weak QB class and gave him another 2-3 mediocre years to see if he panned out. I'd rather be awful and rebuild then 7-9 every year. 

It was best for both parties to move on. I don't wish him success since he went to the Jets now lol. 

16 minutes ago, DoleINGout said:

Okay, but responding to your original point about Darnold, I mean, if Darnold is endorsing the Gase hiring - then that bodes well for the "fit". I don't think Darnold would be excited for Gase if he didn't think it was a good match. Like others have mentioned, Gase has worked with many quarterbacks and found success. Factoring in personality, age, and opportunity, I'd say this is actually a great hiring by the Jets organization. Maybe, (like I said), Matt Rhule is a better potential head coach option but Gase fits the bill with what the Jets organization needs now that they've got their quarterback.

My point was more, if Peyton calls Darnold (which if he called one of the Johnsons he likely did with Darnold as well since Darnold was a counselor at Manning's QB camp in 2017) and talks up Gase, Darnold's going to bite hook, line, and sinker and endorse Gase.  And Peyton's motivations are, most likely, more with Gase's interests in mind more than Darnold's.

5 minutes ago, Ajayii said:

This. He should have taken an OC job for a year or two and then try again. 

Funny thing is folks in here are saying we overachieved yet ignoring that we had a better offense prior with Philbin AND averaged more wins under Philbin with a worse roster. 

That's because people don't watch the Dolphins. If he over achieved, it's with the roster he built. The so called talentless roster was praised by him. It was the team in his image. A soft one just like Philbin. Like you said, ironically Philbin did better than him with a worse roster. This team actually has talent. We have core pieces in the secondary. I do believe we have weapons at WR. The team ultimately failed because he is a soft coach upfront and his handling of the QB position. 

When you get man handled by anyone physical, nothing else works. 

Archived