Kyler Murray QB OU

49erurtaza

1 hour ago, JammerHammer21 said:

If he makes it to the MLB level and is good, he'd likely earn far more than he would in football

That's not true though. Best case scenario he's making $20 million a year in baseball and that's only after spending years in the minor leagues making peanuts and making significantly less for multiple years in arbitration. If he's an average QB he'll be making north of $20 million. Best case scenario he'll make $30 million or more per year. Plus there are significantly greater endorsement opportunities for a football player. The argument for baseball works if the player is choosing between playing WR or being a starting pitcher. It doesn't work when the player is choosing between playing QB or being a defensive focused OF/2B

3 hours ago, Ozzy said:

Still doesn't that mean he will lose millions of dollars potentially because he broke the $5 Million dollar contract he signed with the A's which was for him to play baseball after the college football season.  Not enter the NFL draft?

But yes baseball is boring as hell and few pay attention to it compared to football.  But baseball is by far more safe and if he is good could make more money long term for doing less physical work in terms of great physical effort and pain endured with football potentially.

He could play in the NFL sure but would be a late 1st round pick but most likely a decent 2nd rounder best case.  If he ran a 4.3 40 though that could help his stock greatly.  Is a better passer than Lamar Jackson of course and he was a 1st rounder as basically just a raw athlete at the QB position.  

I don't blame him though for wanting to avoid the grind of minor league baseball for possibly 3 years and that timeline is assuming he plays well in the minors which isn't a given.

6 hours ago, Swift21 said:

I don't blame him though for wanting to avoid the grind of minor league baseball for possibly 3 years and that timeline is assuming he plays well in the minors which isn't a given.

I just thought that was a contract he signed with the A's that would not allow him to play football again, maybe I am wrong.  And avoid the grind of minor league baseball, more like avoid the boredom of it not to mention when you get to the majors.  But I assume if he does not go to the minors he will simply not play baseball at all.  I doubt he could start a NFL career for 1-4 years and then if that does not work go back to baseball but who knows.

Oddly enough all these teams need a QB and some I think would not mind a QB like Murray at all.

Seattle - sure as a backup but is looking down the road a ways.

Dallas - no doubt especially with that sweet run game they already have and Murray is a better passer than Dak.

Washington - not sure they would do it with Griffin's struggles in the past but who knows.

Saints - again long term but they need a plan for when Brees is gone and are innovative enough to make it work.

Chargers - again looking for the future QB maybe.

Jacksonville - they need a QB obviously.

Bengals - need a QB down the road for sure.

So yeah there is a chance he is a 1st rounder or no doubt a 2nd rounder.  As for him getting hurt, the kid is a jet out there so that will help, but sure he is super small no doubt.  Still can he scramble around like Patrick Mahomes and throw darts out there, yes he can.  

Sooner fan. If you couldn't tell. :P

Having watched him this season, I really think he should stick to MLB. He was really good during the regular season (~70% completion rate), but finished with about a 55% completion rate in the Orange Bowl. I really think he got rattled in his biggest game and opportunity. It's not just his size that scares me.

10 hours ago, IDOG_det said:

That's not true though. Best case scenario he's making $20 million a year in baseball and that's only after spending years in the minor leagues making peanuts and making significantly less for multiple years in arbitration. If he's an average QB he'll be making north of $20 million. Best case scenario he'll make $30 million or more per year. Plus there are significantly greater endorsement opportunities for a football player. The argument for baseball works if the player is choosing between playing WR or being a starting pitcher. It doesn't work when the player is choosing between playing QB or being a defensive focused OF/2B

I like how you just completely ignored the in better health part from the original comment. 

He goes top 10. Russel Wilson's success is all teams need to see. Murphy is more dynamic than Lamar and a much better passer. 

Russ has a way bigger frame, and a better arm. Murray is nowhere near the prospect that Russ was. And Wilson runs to pass, Murray tries to get alot more than Wilson on the ground and while its amazing to watch, and works alot of times, when it doesnt he takes hits that will destroy him in the NFL.

14 minutes ago, BroncosFan2010 said:

Russ has a way bigger frame, and a better arm. Murray is nowhere near the prospect that Russ was. And Wilson runs to pass, Murray tries to get alot more than Wilson on the ground and while its amazing to watch, and works alot of times, when it doesnt he takes hits that will destroy him in the NFL.

Plus, let's recognize the huge differences between Wilson & Murray:

1.  Wilson was a 4-year starter, and his last year at WIS, he was a pass-first QB that had the ability to run.   He threw for over 3K yards but ran for "only" 250-400 yards in his last 3 seasons (and threw for just under 3K in his freshman year).   Wilson grew up as a guy who looked pass-first.    Murray has thrown for over 4K yards, but he's also run for 1K - he's a guy who definitely looks to run when things get dodgy.  Wilson looks to extend the pass window.  That's a huge difference.

2.  Wilson's got 10+ inch hands.   And we know he can throw with similar accuracy/placement from different arm angles.  That's how you overcome being shorter vs. taller pass rushers (Baker has that ability to throw from different arm angles, BTW).

3.  Wilson's got insane, magician like pocket awareness.   And we saw that he could make quick reads, and recognize D's early in his career.   The in-between the ear abilities that help any QB succeed, but matter more if a pass rush can't get too close to block passing lanes with shorter QB's (Brees and Baker have these skills too BTW).

4.  It's not an extra point, but it bears repeating - Wilson's at least 20 lbs heavier, if not more.   And he's got an absolute cannon for an arm.   

Now, none of the above means Murray won't succeed.   But he absolutely needs the first 3 skills to succeed, and the 4th issue means he's more at risk if he continues to be a run-first QB.   So let's hold the brakes on the Russell Wilson comps, and top-10 talk.   I get that the QB class this year at the top really sucks, but it doesn't make the pick of Murray any less risky, unless he has the above similar extra skills that Wilson possessed. 

Archived