John232's way too early mock off-season

John232

It's not the FF 49ers forum if we aren't wildly speculating on off-season moves during the playoffs.  I'll also probably work off this format for future procrastination posts. 

Key early departures:

Pierre Garcon via cut or trade: His contract would prevent this from being at all palatable for anything more than a 6th, but teams do value leadership and mentorship. Bills, Colts, Ravens options. Regardless, doubt he'll be back unless he restructures. 49ers will just take the dead cap hit. 

Earl Mitchell: He'll be cut. Useless. 

CJ Beathard: Via trade to Tennessee. Tennessee is in deep, deep trouble at QB. Beathard could get dealt for a 6th or 5th to the Titans who were running the same system last year. Pretty sure they don't want Blaine Gabbert being their backup anymore and Beathard might actually be better than Blaine Gabbert...wow. Regardless, since we typically only keep two QB's, I see us keeping Nick because I don't think the market will bite on him and I think the safe thing to do is keep Mullens anyways. 

Coyle: Easy way to save on some money and given the emergence of other youngsters on ST and Watson still being around, he just isn't worth the roster spot. 

Gilliam: This could change depending our FO's opinions on Shonn Coleman as a swing tackle, but I think Gilliam will be another somewhat surprising cap cut.

MAYBE Celek: He'll be a camp cut but I think this is a spot where the team could stand to be a little more dynamic and just in general get younger.  If there's a better, cheaper option in Free Agency, I wouldn't be surprised if we cut him in favor. But for now, I'll just leave the "maybe" here. 

Key Additions: 

FS-Earl Thomas: The big name get. Dallas is going to be our biggest competitor, but I think SF will go farther in bidding for him. More so because Dallas really doesn't need him. Furthermore, Dallas has to focus on re-signing Dak, Cooper, Lawrence, Crawford and Zeke in the coming years. Bringing on Thomas would immediately give our secondary the experience and range on the back-end that we have so thoroughly lacked. He also matches up incredibly well with Tartt,  andif in the event Thomas does not come back healthy or as fast as he use to be, Tartt could play the single high or play in a cover 2. Personally, I was always ok if we re-signed Reid and had Tartt try a full season of single high. Main point being we could play more cover 2 with Thomas as he ages. Regardless, Thomas like Sherm will have a chip on his shoulder, and will immediately make an impact. 

DE/SAM - Za'Darius Smith: Arguably the second best pass-rusher hitting free agency,  he would immediately become our best edge rusher on our team. Not only that, Smith is a 270 pound freak of nature who is a perfect fit for us when we need to play him as a strong side backer. Most importantly, he can get to the QB. 24  hits, 8.5 sacks and he's still only 26. I think there would be some rightful trepidation about A) Baltimore players flopping elsewhere and B) playing well in a contract year. But we need to triple up on the edge position in a big way and he is a great start to this re-tooling of our line. Worth noting that both Smith and Thomas will be getting paid a lot. Still not insane money and not as much as other notable guys like Clowney and Barr, but enough to where it's gonna eat some cap. Also pains me to say that I think we might go for Ansah instead of Smith..ugh.

LB - Jordan Hicks:  Last of our big name signings. Hicks is a great LB who can play both the Will and Mike (relatively interchangeable iirc for us).  We're going to have to pay a solid amount out to him but given his health issues, we could probably protect ourselves. It could also be scaled in such a way that we can increase his pay next year when we can actually cut Malcom Smith for a dead cap number that gets cut in half after 19. Not only, should Hicks get injured, Smith/Lee are adequate backups. Regardless, Hicks or Perryman would be somewhat more cost effective and would solidify our front 7 in totality.

CB - Pierre Desir:  He's actually had a pretty good year, but because he's not putting up gaudy numbers he's not getting a lot of love. Regardless, he fits the scheme and I don't think our FO is going to be interested in taking chances on Moore or Witherspoon figuring it out right away. Financially, this just may not work out though because I think Desir could command a good sized contract. But if last year is any indication of how the league views free agent corners who aren't names..he could still come on a good deal. 

OT-Sam Young: With Coleman being the resident LT and Gilliam gone, we'll need another tackle on the roster. Young has played in the system and would be an adequate, cheap backup option. Most likely camp fodder, but could see him actually locking up a spot. 

IOL-Ben Garland: Another former falcon who knows the system, can play both guard positions, and in all likelyhood, push Garnett, Person and Magnusson for a spot on the roster. Really hope we go for someone like this, go for another cheap option we can cycle through. Not to mention Tomlinson will be coming off an injury. 

Draft:

R1) DE Nick Bosa: I really think the Cardinals would be borderline foolish to pick Bosa. They have edge rushers and an elite one in Jones. What they don't have is an offensive line, a standout weapon in the receiving group (though Kirk is looking nice) or a future along the interior of their front seven. What they have on the Edge is solid though. Reddick, Jones, Goldson and Benson Mayowa. Meanwhile Rodney Gunter is still getting a ton of playing time...it just makes way too much sense for them to trade back and pick up some more picks and grab someone like Jonah Williams or even Cody Ford. Odds are, I think the Cards trade out and we make the obvious pick. 

R2) WR Riley Ridley: Riley Ridley may not drop to us in the second, but he is an extremely well rounded receiver. For people who like comparisons, his most common comparison as a prospect has been Michael Thomas. Not great production in college, but outstanding film, He's a fantastic route runner, can beat press right away as a rookie, breaks well at the top of routes and shows good form when catching the ball. He's not a freak athlete and I don't think he'll test well. He will get overshadowed by others in this class and that's why I could see him dropping to us. But outside of outstanding physical traits (which are by no means poor) he's a total package and fills what some thought was a huge hole. Only thing that pains me is I won't be able to get him on my fantasy team because of this. Sad.

R3) OT David Edwards/Dennis Daley: Both of these guys fit the scheme, can play in space and also need some time to develop. We need a tackle to groom when Staley eventually leaves. This class has solid depth and I think it would be wise of us to pick one of these guys up sooner, rather than later. Daley might be a bit of a reach, but the upside makes it more than worth it.

R4) DE - Joe Jackson/Jabari Zuniga: This is the last of the edge additions.. Both of these guys sort of fall under the moniker of being developmental. Both are psychically gifted athletes who currently do not consistently play up to their physical talent. Worth noting, I went for guys who can really play from a wide 9. Zuniga, specifically might be a bit more of a SAM because he doesn't have outstanding get off, (where Jackson arguably does) but I think he could still be effective there.

Zuniga I thin is less likely to be around at this point, but I think there's going to be a massive run on edge players in the first two rounds that might actually cause some guys to drop. Guys like Jackson and Zuniga who probably aren't going to offer much day 1. Regardless, in a draft stacked with edge talent, Zuniga and Jackson would be worthwhile players to invest in and hopefully pair with Bosa for years to come.

R6) TE - Josh Oliver: Regardless of Celek staying or going, TE depth looked scary at points. If i were a betting man, I'd bet that we're going to either sign another TE in Free Agency or address the 3rd TE spot in the draft. Oliver sort of fits the same profile as Cole Hikutini except he's better and younger. Point is, he's  a bit developmental but due to his proximity to the team (being out of SJSU) I wouldn't be surprised if he's on our raider. Regardless, he's + athlete who already shows good receiving skills. Blocking...is going to be an issue and it might keep him from seeing the field at all, but I think TE being a position where all 3 guys typically see playing time, it's worth addressing. 

Note: I have Beathard and Garcon getting traded this off-season, but I won't bother adding picks because this is more a fun exercise 

Depth Chart: 

QB: Jimmy G, Nick Mullens

RB: Matt Breida, Jerrick Mckinnon, Jeff Wilson Jr. 

Y. Dante Pettis,  Marquis Goodwin

X - Riley Ridley, Kendrick Bourne

Slot - Trent Taylor, Richie James

TE - George Kiltle, Garrett Celek, Josh Oliver

OT- Joe Staley, Mike McGlinchey, Shonne Coleman, Daley/Edwards

OG - Laken Tomlinson, Mike Person,  Ben Garland, Josh Garnett

OC - Weston Richburg,  Eric Magnusson

WDE - Nick Bosa, Zuniga/Jackson, Cassius Marsh

IDL: Deforest Buckner, Julian Taylor, DJ Jones,  Ronald Blair

SDE:  Armstead, Thomas, Kentavius Street

SAM: Za'Darius Smith, Pita T. (Marsh plays this too)

OFF LB: Jordan Hicks, Fred Warner,Elijah Lee, Malcom Smith

NB: K'uann Williams, DJ Reed

OCB: Sherman, Witherspoon, Desir, Moore

FS: Earl Thomas, Adrian Colbert

SS: Jaquaski Tartt, Marcell Harris

K: Gould

Pinion: 

LS: Nelson

Where do I sign up at????

Only thing I will say, can't see the Colts letting Desir go who had a very nice season. They have even more cap space than us and Desir is the type of guy they have to bring back. But if they don't? I'd love this addition. 

Knocking out our four biggest needs on the defensive end with Thomas/Hicks/Bosa/Desir is a HUGE win. Like as well as one could realistically hope for.

Then getting Ridley in the 2nd round? Love it. I can't comment on the rest of the draft since I haven't watched those guys yet.

A+ offseason that leads to a 12-4 season!

Can absolutely get behind an offseason like this. Maybe it’s my homerism showing but landing ET, Smith, Hicks/Perryman/Mosley and a CB who can challenge our young guys I believe is very doable. Any draft that has us land Bosa and/or Allen with one of these potetial laden WRs I’m all for. Josh Oliver at the end seals the deal for me. 

One thing I would change though is a little less focus on our OTs and a little more on our IOL, that was our trouble area and has been for years. I know Staley is getting older but unless his play falls off a cliff this next year I think we can address that then and have plenty of time to groom our next bookend, by then McGlinchey will be headed into year 3 as well coming off a pro bowl season ;).

49 minutes ago, Fureys49ers said:

Can absolutely get behind an offseason like this. Maybe it’s my homerism showing but landing ET, Smith, Hicks/Perryman/Mosley and a CB who can challenge our young guys I believe is very doable. Any draft that has us land Bosa and/or Allen with one of these potetial laden WRs I’m all for. Josh Oliver at the end seals the deal for me. 

One thing I would change though is a little less focus on our OTs and a little more on our IOL, that was our trouble area and has been for years. I know Staley is getting older but unless his play falls off a cliff this next year I think we can address that then and have plenty of time to groom our next bookend, by then McGlinchey will be headed into year 3 as well coming off a pro bowl season ;).

Certainly justifiable and i'm realizing I had another 6th from the Lynch comp pick. Which I almost absolutely would have used on IOL. I think some people speculate that Daley could move inside too. 

1 hour ago, J-ALL-DAY said:

Where do I sign up at????

Only thing I will say, can't see the Colts letting Desir go who had a very nice season. They have even more cap space than us and Desir is the type of guy they have to bring back. But if they don't? I'd love this addition. 

Knocking out our four biggest needs on the defensive end with Thomas/Hicks/Bosa/Desir is a HUGE win. Like as well as one could realistically hope for.

Then getting Ridley in the 2nd round? Love it. I can't comment on the rest of the draft since I haven't watched those guys yet.

A+ offseason that leads to a 12-4 season!

Yeah...as I was writing down Desir, I definitely started to feel like it was unlikely he'd be let go. I think another option would be Breshaud Breeland and Rashaan Melvin. Raiders just may end up drafting his replacement. Melvin would also be a good scheme fit so if I were to replace Desir, Melvin would probably be the guy. 

You have my stamp of approval. Little too much focus on the OTs rather than IOL, but that was discussed and a very minor quibble. We can't likely fix everything in this one offseason, so we're bound to see things like that.  Keeping the same OL from 2018 is really not a big problem. 

Like it. But you just took something for granted that is not really guaranteed to happen, and it happens to be at a very important position, so I think it makes your whole mock offseason come crashing down:

Are we sure to bring back Bradley Pinion? He hasn't progressed since he entered the NFL, and is basically not a top 20 punter. I wouldn't give him any guaranteed money and I'd bring in other guys to compete. Draft someone with our complementary pick? Is there a freak australian we could get?

And I hope we don't bring back that non-Brian Jennings cheat, Kyle Nelson.

#letsmakethespecialteamsgreatagain

9 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

I like it (you've got a UGA player, how could i not :)) I'm pretty sure Zuniga is going back to school though.

Edit: You pretty much hit the nail on the head describing Ridley. 

Daphne Zuniga is 56 year old anyway.

9 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

I like it (you've got a UGA player, how could i not :)) I'm pretty sure Zuniga is going back to school though.

Edit: You pretty much hit the nail on the head describing Ridley. 

Probably a good move for him to go back tbh. If he put up another year like he did (not spectacular but better) he could still end up going in the first. If he shows any sort of refinement, he'll for sure be a first rounder (imo). 

3 hours ago, John232 said:

Probably a good move for him to go back tbh. If he put up another year like he did (not spectacular but better) he could still end up going in the first. If he shows any sort of refinement, he'll for sure be a first rounder (imo). 

Mocks are mocks but I've seen several with him in  the first round

11 hours ago, Forge said:

This is twice in recent memory that you've referenced Daphne. We should be best friends forever

I will never not reference Daphne whenever someone mentions Zuniga. She's the poutine of all Zunigas, i.e. I cannot not talk about it.

15 hours ago, Ftn49 said:

Mocks are mocks but I've seen several with him in  the first round

I think next year, in a shallower class he's absolutely a first rounder. But there are like 10 edge guys (some big ends, LB tweeners etc) who are locks to go ahead of him. It would be surprising if he was a first rounder this year. But next year, absolutely. I also think NFL teams really look at coaching and how players transition, so if Polite were to come in and kill it right away, I'd imagine that would help his stock a little bit. 

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

I will never not reference Daphne whenever someone mentions Zuniga. She's the poutine of all Zunigas, i.e. I cannot not talk about it.

I like the way you smoothly dodged my best friends forever plea there. 

Archived