John232's way too early mock off-season

John232

On 1/9/2019 at 9:05 PM, J-ALL-DAY said:

Where do I sign up at????

Only thing I will say, can't see the Colts letting Desir go who had a very nice season. They have even more cap space than us and Desir is the type of guy they have to bring back. But if they don't? I'd love this addition. 

Knocking out our four biggest needs on the defensive end with Thomas/Hicks/Bosa/Desir is a HUGE win. Like as well as one could realistically hope for.

Then getting Ridley in the 2nd round? Love it. I can't comment on the rest of the draft since I haven't watched those guys yet.

A+ offseason that leads to a 12-4 season!

Yeah, I think they re-sign Desir with how much cap they have. Kind of like us taking Wards option since we have so much money. 

13 hours ago, Forge said:

He was like the worst safety in football this year. He was absolutely brutal.

Let's re-sign Eric Reid. He seemed to put Colbert in the right spot most of the time, and he controlled his temper. And he's less injury prone than Tartt. Play Tartt at LB for all I care. He could be turned into more of a playmaker there. Keep Malcolm Smith to rotate in and out. These two might add up to 16 games, with some luck. Get another LB to complete the set, draft an edge rusher, so we can get pressure and force turnovers. Win games. See our offensive coaching staff be dismantled. Hire nobodies who just happened to be awesome, because Kyle seems to be able to find these guys, wash, rinse and repeat. Superbowls, dynasty, yada yada yada. 

The only question remaining is: whose couch will I crash on during our home playoffs games and I'll be travelling to the Bay area to attend the games? It's a bonus if you buy me a round at Pebble Beach.

1 hour ago, rudyZ said:

Let's re-sign Eric Reid. He seemed to put Colbert in the right spot most of the time, and he controlled his temper. And he's less injury prone than Tartt. Play Tartt at LB for all I care. He could be turned into more of a playmaker there. Keep Malcolm Smith to rotate in and out. These two might add up to 16 games, with some luck. Get another LB to complete the set, draft an edge rusher, so we can get pressure and force turnovers. Win games. See our offensive coaching staff be dismantled. Hire nobodies who just happened to be awesome, because Kyle seems to be able to find these guys, wash, rinse and repeat. Superbowls, dynasty, yada yada yada. 

The only question remaining is: whose couch will I crash on during our home playoffs games and I'll be travelling to the Bay area to attend the games? It's a bonus if you buy me a round at Pebble Beach.

I would be all on board to Re-sign reid. Not sure about his price tag though. And without going into the politics, he really seemed like a distraction at times..lying about the drugs tests...being an absolute **** to other players. But looking at SD is doing (though this Pats game is exposing them) the 3 safety look with Reid, Tartt and Thomas would be totally viable and called for. 

If the Cardinals trade out, I'm guessing it won't be with us. Maybe they have bigger concerns than letting a divisional rival get a promising looking DL prospect, but they'll probably look for someone else that wants to grab him. Maybe the Jets or Raiders right behind the 49ers.

We shouldn't have won that game against the Seahawks. 

12 minutes ago, PapaShogun said:

If the Cardinals trade out, I'm guessing it won't be with us. Maybe they have bigger concerns than letting a divisional rival get a promising looking DL prospect, but they'll probably look for someone else that wants to grab him. Maybe the Jets or Raiders right behind the 49ers.

We shouldn't have won that game against the Seahawks. 

The Jets won't make the trade. They are rebuilding and already short a premiere pick as they traded their second rounder for this year in the deal for Darnold. They are in a good spot to secure a premiere talent in this draft as well, so I don't think that they need to overextend. The Raiders are a team that would make a lot of sense, but it's really hard to know if they'd be willing to give up what it would take to move in to that spot, and you just never know what Gruden is thinking. 

Honestly, it would actually make a lot of sense for us to trade with the Cards if we really wanted Bosa that badly. It wouldn't be a  cheap cost for just one spot up, but may be worth it. As I said in the other thread, this years 3/4 and next year's 2 would make a lot of sense. It's steep, but obviously teams have made those type of trades before. I would understand the impetus behind making that kind of trade. The cards, with a ton of holes and not really a dire need for Bosa with Chandler Jones, could secure additional assets while still getting a guy in either of the Bama Williams boys, that they should be giving thought to at #1 anyway. If they move down with one of the quarterback needy teams at 6 or 7, they do potentially take themselves out of getting one of the elite players in the draft. So while they would secure a ton of draft capital for such a move, I don't know if they'd view that as more important / better than simply finding a guy that has a better shot at being an elite nfl player. That situation could still potentially net them someone like Ed Oliver, so that may be worth it for them. I don't know. 

There is no reason to trade with the Cardinals because there are two edge rushers we could take and feel great about either one. We need depth everywhere, I want to acquire future picks, not give any away 

I don't think the Jets or raiders trade up, and I doubt the Cardinals will want to move out of the top 4 or 5. 

Doesn't seem likely they trade back unless they just decide they don't want bosa and want to prevent us from getting bosa... So trading down with the raiders for a very very cheap price just to spite us is possible I guess. 

Honestly, I think I am starting to prefer Allen over bosa anyways.

8 hours ago, N4L said:

There is no reason to trade with the Cardinals because there are two edge rushers we could take and feel great about either one. We need depth everywhere, I want to acquire future picks, not give any away 

I feel better about Bosa as an every down edge rusher, I think, in this scheme.  Would be happy with Allen, but would prefer Bosa. 

As for depth, our depth is fine. What we need are really good players at the top and starters. I'm not going to worry about mid round picks that can easily be offset through free agency, particularly when we have the level of money we do. We need depth probably at linebacker (Lee and Watson will be back, not sure about Coyle / Smith) to go along with a starter there. In the secondary, I'd prefer a starting level corner and starting level free safety, not depth pieces. Defensive line is fine. Offensive line is okay at guard, assuming Person is back, okay at tackle with Gilliam (though he should be cut) and Coleman. I'd like to see a young center, but given Richburg is a lock next year, likely not a requirement so long as we bring back Person, who can also play center. Receiver needs a top end player - Bourne / Taylor / James seem largely okay on the back end. If we keep the injuries off the running game, that looks to be okay as well. Celek is still under contract as the TE2, and while I do think it's time to start looking at potential replacements. Honestly, if I were to come out of this draft with Bosa and Antonio Brown as the use for our top 4 picks, I'm pretty happy. 

Still not sure we will have to though. As someone mentioned in the draft forum, the Cards have now hired Vance Joseph. That means they are running a 3-4 moving forward. Now they are going to shoehorn Bosa into a 3-4 OLB role? I mean, I'm sure he'd be okay, but that is not the best fit for him. It would actually make more sense to go with Josh Allen for them at that point. Q Williams would still make sense in a 3-4, and obviously it has no affect on Jonah. 

On 1/12/2019 at 9:50 PM, Pandomonium said:

i like it...I just don't think Desir will be available

also with Thomas being a Texas Boy as well as growing up a cowgirl fan it would be tough sledding getting him to come to SF

I actually like Colbert at FS if we can't upgrade with a big name. 

Few things in our favor:

• He gets to join up with Sherman and Goodwin again
  • He gets to give the Seahawks a huge middle finger twice a year for the next couple of years
  • He gets to play the same position in the same defense that he helped make famous
  • He has familiarity with Saleh 
  • We have the cap room to give him an attractive contract

I feel better about Bosa as an every down edge rusher, I think, in this scheme.  Would be happy with Allen, but would prefer Bosa. 

Thats fine, but the difference between the two guys (bosa/allen) is not worth giving up a 3/4 and a future second like you are talking about. Lets not pull a bears here and hand over a future second (to a division rival) when most of us will be completely happy to have allen

Still not sure we will have to though. As someone mentioned in the draft forum, the Cards have now hired Vance Joseph. That means they are running a 3-4 moving forward. Now they are going to shoehorn Bosa into a 3-4 OLB role? I mean, I'm sure he'd be okay, but that is not the best fit for him. It would actually make more sense to go with Josh Allen for them at that point. Q Williams would still make sense in a 3-4, and obviously it has no affect on Jonah

I have a hard time seeing Jones as an OLB in that scheme as well. Cardinals FO has made some questionable decisions recently honestly 

Archived