Sooners' Kyler Murray officially declares for NFL draft

TheKillerNacho

http://www.espn.com/nfl/draft2019/story/_/id/25725201/oakland-expect-kyler-murray-declare-2019-nfl-draft

The Oakland A's expect Oklahoma quarterback Kyler Murray to declare for the 2019 NFL draft before Monday's deadline, the San Francisco Chronicle reports, citing multiple sources.

Murray, a two-sport star, was chosen by the A's with the ninth pick of the MLB draft in 2018 and signed a $4.66 million contract in June that allowed him to play football for the Sooners for one final season before joining the A's.

I don't know what to make of this. I felt like a thread on this was mandatory to help sort this out.

Obviously there have been players who played in both the MLB and NFL before but not a Quarterback. It sounds like the A's will want him to choose between baseball and football, as would any NFL club. But if he is available, he pushes Dwayne Haskins as the best QB in the draft and electrifies an otherwise unexciting bunch.

What's everyone's take on this?

Update:

Murray tweeted that he is officially declaring for the NFL draft.

7 minutes ago, Tyty said:

I’d imagine he’d only get drafted high if he promises to choose football over baseball. Too complicated being a two sport guy as qb

We made Jameis sign away baseball when we gave him his rookie contract. I've gotta imagine Murray would have similar verbage in his contract.

2 minutes ago, bucsfan333 said:

We made Jameis sign away baseball when we gave him his rookie contract. I've gotta imagine Murray would have similar verbage in his contract.

I know that one source I read said the A's could recoup all of his signing bonus if he were to sign a football contract. So he's going to have to choose. Thankfully, NFL teams will have a good idea of his intentions this February, where he'll have to choose between the A's training camp and the NFL scouting combine.

I think this is an awful decision for him. I've met the guy and he's probably 5'10" and like 180lbs. Mayfields size was a question and he's big compared to Murray.

I think he'll struggle big time in the NFL bc of his size and trying to improvise and getting hit.

18 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

I think this is an awful decision for him. I've met the guy and he's probably 5'10" and like 180lbs. Mayfields size was a question and he's big compared to Murray.

I think he'll struggle big time in the NFL bc of his size and trying to improvise and getting hit.

I'm not a big Murray fan from what I've seen, too.

21 minutes ago, Bobby816 said:

Moreover, his earning potential is undoubtedly better in the MLB with less injury risk. But if he loves football over baseball, who are we to judge?

I'm a Sooner fan and I'm shaking my head at this. He should stick to baseball. The Orange Bowl game was what convinced me. Even when he was doing 'well' (as in, finally got going) he was never really himself. Biggest game of his limited career and he was rattled. His teammates are used to his throws being on target. The only passes I can recall being truly on target are the ones that went to Rambo. CeeDee was having to really put on a show to pull those passes in. Murray had over 70% average throughout the season, but was barely above 50% in that game. Looked like a deer in headlights in the 1st quarter and then was never quite on target the rest of the night.

It's not just size. I really don't think he is ready for the NFL. Needs to stick to MLB and honor that A's contract, IMO.

Integrity is a lost quality in today's society. :S

5 minutes ago, Chrissooner49er said:

I'm a Sooner fan and I'm shaking my head at this. He should stick to baseball. The Orange Bowl game was what convinced me. Even when he was doing 'well' (as in, finally got going) he was never really himself. Biggest game of his limited career and he was rattled. His teammates are used to his throws being on target. The only passes I can recall being truly on target are the ones that went to Rambo. CeeDee was having to really put on a show to pull those passes in. Murray had over 70% average throughout the season, but was barely above 50% in that game. Looked like a deer in headlights in the 1st quarter and then was never quite on target the rest of the night.

It's not just size. I really don't think he is ready for the NFL. Needs to stick to MLB and honor that A's contract, IMO.

Integrity is a lost quality in today's society. :S

kid thinks he is pat mahomes nah

Archived