• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Vance
    • Mac

1 hour ago, thebestever6 said:

Well you said it earlier ellis wasn't comfortable with that model. 

That’s what I had relayed to me. Quite obviously things have changed. How Ellis and the trust feel about that is anyone’s guess. 

Quite honestly, my feeling is that Elway has had enough of the trust telling him how to run football operations and is doing things his way. 

Just now, AnAngryAmerican said:

That’s what I had relayed to me. Quite obviously things have changed. How Ellis and the trust feel about that is anyone’s guess. 

Quite honestly, my feeling is that Elway has had enough of the trust telling him how to run football operations and is doing things his way. 

I don't blame elway tbh. If he's going down he's gonna go down swinging.  Guess he's taking a page out of frank sinatra's book.

7 minutes ago, BroncoBruin said:

I guess any assistant role is considered a "lateral" move.

The NFL needs to fix that ASAP. Although we shouldn't complain too much. In 2015, the Bengals blocked us from interviewing Vance Joseph as DC and forced us to "settle" for Wade. That worked out nicely. 

Huh, who'd of thought. I always figured coaches were sort of three tiered: Head coach, coordinators then position coaches.

Learn something new every day.

27 minutes ago, thebestever6 said:

Rappaport just said on NFL network he's expected to keep his role in the front office. 

And Klis tweeted the opposite. All else bring equal, I take Klis’ (who’s a team mouthpiece) word over Rapport’s (who relies on player agents) on internal Broncos stuff. 

Wow. What a complete FusterCluck.  While I was uncomfortable with the whole “co-coach” situation, and REALLY didn’t like the whole “let’s get the band back together” approach that Kubiak was taking with his retreads, this reflects really, really poorly on Elway.  As someone else mentioned earlier, how this discussion didn’t happen earier is beyond me.  Kubiak: “will I have the freedom to select my own staff?”  Elway: “yes” or “no”.  The fact that this all comes up AFTER you close on Fangio, under the assumption/belief that he’s really only going to coach 1 side of the ball due to the whole “co-coach” thing - and now, poof.  You need a “Sr” OC, when they are getting picked over, or you need Fangio to now do something you didn’t count on when you hired him.

i hope it all works out.  I hate getting too down on my team or presuming I always know better than these guys - who are the experts. But man, this  is a major F Up by Elway. 

25 minutes ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

Wow. What a complete FusterCluck.  While I was uncomfortable with the whole “co-coach” situation, and REALLY didn’t like the whole “let’s get the band back together” approach that Kubiak was taking with his retreads, this reflects really, really poorly on Elway.  As someone else mentioned earlier, how this discussion didn’t happen earier is beyond me.  Kubiak: “will I have the freedom to select my own staff?”  Elway: “yes” or “no”.  The fact that this all comes up AFTER you close on Fangio, under the assumption/belief that he’s really only going to coach 1 side of the ball due to the whole “co-coach” thing - and now, poof.  You need a “Sr” OC, when they are getting picked over, or you need Fangio to now do something you didn’t count on when you hired him.

i hope it all works out.  I hate getting too down on my team or presuming I always know better than these guys - who are the experts. But man, this  is a major F Up by Elway. 

On the one hand, Elway decided it was better to cut bait on a situation that wasn't going to work (Kubiak wanting Dennison back and letting the assistant OL coaches go instead).  That takes a lot to do realizing the organizational chaos and the PR heat he was going to take here.

But, yeah, for Elway to not have discussed what the plan was post-HC hiring with Kubiak, and not be on the same page - man, that's really a bad look.   And the timing is nuts - we're at the end of the hiring cycle, and OC candidates that look at what just went down have to be wondering what is going on.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

On the one hand, Elway decided it was better to cut bait on a situation that wasn't going to work (Kubiak wanting Dennison back and letting the assistant OL coaches go instead).  That takes a lot to do.

But, yeah, for Elway to not have discussed what the plan was post-HC hiring with Kubiak, and not be on the same page - man, that's really a bad look.  

Elway is a mess. Probably has his head up a Camry’s muffler. 

27 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Elway is a mess. Probably has his head up a Camry’s muffler. 

I think he and Kubiak really got messed up assuming the other saw things their way.   In a lot of ways, their familiarity probably hurt them here - they might have really assumed both of them were on the same page about every personnel decision and directional decision on the O - when they clearly weren't.  To say it was philosophical differences is probably window dressing - when Kubiak said he wanted to let the assistant coaches go, and Dennison to come in, as the beat reporters noted today, well, it must have been a huge "WTF" moment for Elway.....but yeah, he should have done his homework here and made sure they were on the same page.  No matter who was the one with the crazy plan the other didn't agree with, it's on the GM to make sure the 2 are on the same page before a hiring call gets made.   That's all on Elway.

The really worrisome part is that our situation already looks like a less-than-ideal place for an OC to come to.   If we get Munchak to come in, he's not been a good OC at all.  He is a great OL coach.  So he could salvage that part, at the very least.   But man, it's going to take a helluva sell job by Elway to get an OC who's in demand to come to us.  I'd love it if Todd Monken could join - but man, why would he?  Our O has been a place where OC careers come to die the last 3 years, and I can't imagine this gives potential OC candidates more hope that we're headed the right way.

Elway could salvage this, just he's really put himself behind the 8 ball now.   He was the king of comebacks as a QB - he's going to need those skills now for the OC hire.  

19 minutes ago, Broncofan said:

I think he and Kubiak really got messed up assuming the other saw things their way.   In a lot of ways, their familiarity probably hurt them here - they might have really assumed both of them were on the same page about every personnel decision and directional decision on the O - when they clearly weren't.  To say it was philosophical differences is probably window dressing - when Kubiak said he wanted to let the assistant coaches go, and Dennison to come in, as the beat reporters noted today, well, it must have been a huge "WTF" moment for Elway.....but yeah, he should have done his homework here and made sure they were on the same page.  No matter who was the one with the crazy plan the other didn't agree with, it's on the GM to make sure the 2 are on the same page before a hiring call gets made.   That's all on Elway.

The really worrisome part is that our situation already looks like a less-than-ideal place for an OC to come to.   If we get Munchak to come in, he's not been a good OC at all.  He is a great OL coach.  So he could salvage that part, at the very least.   But man, it's going to take a helluva sell job by Elway to get an OC who's in demand to come to us.  I'd love it if Todd Monken could join - but man, why would he?  Our O has been a place where OC careers come to die the last 3 years, and I can't imagine this gives potential OC candidates more hope that we're headed the right way.

Elway could salvage this, just he's really put himself behind the 8 ball now.   He was the king of comebacks as a QB - he's going to need those skills now for the OC hire.  

I still think Fangio played a part in this.  Reportedly he met with Kubiak for an extended period yesterday and then with Elway after.  I know Elway is making the calls, but I don’t doubt Fangio helped sway him on Kubiak.

4 minutes ago, germ-x said:

I still think Fangio played a part in this.  Reportedly he met with Kubiak for an extended period yesterday and then with Elway after.  I know Elway is making the calls, but I don’t doubt Fangio helped sway him on Kubiak.

Yeah, entirely possible.  But either way, Elway can't announce the hire that Fangio is in charge of the D and Kubiak in charge of the O - then find out later that same week there's a big problem.   Even if he thought Kubiak would be in charge of the O and Fangio would be in charge of the D (and to be fair to @BroncosFan2010 and @broncos67, @champ11 & @thebestever6, they all alluded to this) - that was always a tricky relationship that was going to be need ABSOLUTE clarity on the chain of command, and the decision tree.  And this was exactly the type of situation that was the pitfall to such an arrangement.  The fact that it took less than 5 days to bear fruit really damns Elway here.   I mean, the GM & HC have to agree on the personnel staffing - that's literally the next decision up for Elway & Fangio/Kubiak.   How they weren't on the same page before going forward is stunning.

Either way, Elway messed up in not doing his due diligence.  Because once the OL coach decision came out, it was pretty clear no one was on the same page.  And that's not OK to happen under a GM's watch.  Elway might salvage this, but it's a terrible organizational look for us, and for him as a GM.

Archived