• A
    • B
    • C
    • D
    • F
    • Vance
    • Mac

1 minute ago, thebestever6 said:

I just have so many questions since elway wants to get innovative on offense does that change what he'll look for in a qb?

Patience grasshopper. Until we can establish a coaching staff thats a bit premature.

1 minute ago, Broncofan said:

Yeah, entirely possible.  But either way, Elway can't announce the hire that Fangio is in charge of the D and Kubiak in charge of the O - then find out later that same week there's a big problem.   Even if he thought Kubiak would be in charge of the O and Fangio would be in charge of the D (and to be fair to @BroncosFan2010 and @broncos67, @champ11 & @thebestever6, they all alluded to this) - that was always a tricky relationship that was going to be need ABSOLUTE clarity on the chain of command, and the decision tree.  And you have to agree on the personnel staffing - the next decision up for Elway & Fangio/Kubiak.

Either way, Elway messed up in not doing his due diligence.  Because once the OL coach decision came out, it was pretty clear no one was on the same page.  And that's not OK to happen under a GM's watch.  Elway might salvage this, but it's a terrible organizational look for us, and for him as a GM.

Oh I don’t disagree.  I just think that after meeting with Kubiak, Fangio came back and said there is no way in hell and helped force Elway’s hand.  

Elway knew going in full well what Kubiak would bring offensively.  The guys are friends and have worked together for a decade +.  What Kubiak would bring to the table offensively was in no way a surprise to Elway.

What, IMO, was a surprise was likely Fangio coming in and not being on board.  Fangio is regarded as a straight shooter.  Even in his presser he made comments about offensive balance and not just balance between run/pass, but more so balance between the passing game and how he knows what’s difficult to defend.

Kubiak came in wanting to bring in retreads and an outdated system.  Fangio wouldn’t have it and went to Elway stating so, leaving Elway with 2 options override Fangio and install Kubiak as OC or side with his brand new HC and recognize his wishes.

3 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Oh I don’t disagree.  I just think that after meeting with Kubiak, Fangio came back and said there is no way in hell and helped force Elway’s hand.  

Elway knew going in full well what Kubiak would bring offensively.  The guys are friends and have worked together for a decade +.  What Kubiak would bring to the table offensively was in no way a surprise to Elway.

What, IMO, was a surprise was likely Fangio coming in and not being on board.  Fangio is regarded as a straight shooter.  Even in his presser he made comments about offensive balance and not just balance between run/pass, but more so balance between the passing game and how he knows what’s difficult to defend.

Kubiak came in wanting to bring in retreads and an outdated system.  Fangio wouldn’t have it and went to Elway stating so, leaving Elway with 2 options override Fangio and install Kubiak as OC or side with his brand new HC and recognize his wishes.

No matter what the scenario - they all point back to a major screw-up on Elways part.  There’s rumors we’re going after SF’s QB coach. Anybody know anything about him?

1 minute ago, DiehardBronxFan said:

No matter what the scenario - they all point back to a major screw-up on Elways part.  There’s rumors we’re going after SF’s QB coach. Anybody know anything about him?

For now SF is blocking it - which means they are either A) promoting him to co-OC (only way they can do that IIRC in past, but the rules have changed in last year so who knows ) or B) trying to see if Elway will give them a pick swap.   

Basically he had 1 year with ATL as an O / scout team assistant coach then time at Wagner college.   Joined Shanny in 2017 as QBC.   That’s it.   But Fangio and he know each other from some past connection and Fangio is the one in charge of the search.  So at least it’s a clear chain of operations.  

3 minutes ago, Counselor said:

Go get a college guy 

Only Q I have is would a college guy want to leave their comfort zone for this situation as "just" the OC.  I mean, go further down the list, sure, but I don't know we'll find a known commodity in college that thinks leaving for only an OC position makes sense. 

Let's face it, if the O fails, the OC is going to get the blame first.

6 minutes ago, The Helicopter said:

Jeez, I voted “C” and would like to change, Er, downgrade my vote. I hope this all works out for the best sooner, but right now it’s a fustercluck.

...Not wearing Broncos apparel for at least 6 months.

Got to see how the draft and free agency goes haha

In his initial press-conference Fangio was totally non-committal on Kubiak - he refused to name him as OC and when asked how much he would lean on him for advice (and how much Nagy used him for advice), Fangio replied that Nagy did it 2-3 times - and if a HC needs to do it more than that then he should be a HC.

9 minutes ago, germ-x said:

Top 4 offensive scoring teams in the semifinals.  Fangio knows how the league works, it’s why he gave Kubiak the boot.

If we do end up bringing in Scangarello, he’s done some playcalling in the college game so hopefully we’d look to incorporate some college concepts and get guys in space like you often talk about. The biggest selling point on his resume is that he was the QB coach when Garoppolo played very well in 2017, plus working for Kyle Shanahan, that’s the same tree that Sean McVay came from and has the link back to Denver of being the Mike Shanahan tree.

It just worries me not having anyone that’s called offensive plays in the NFL before, also we likely still starting Keenum 

3 minutes ago, paul-mac said:

If we do end up bringing in Scangarello, he’s done some playcalling in the college game so hopefully we’d look to incorporate some college concepts and get guys in space like you often talk about. The biggest selling point on his resume is that he was the QB coach when Garoppolo played very well in 2017, plus working for Kyle Shanahan, that’s the same tree that Sean McVay came from and has the link back to Denver of being the Mike Shanahan tree.

It just worries me not having anyone that’s called offensive plays in the NFL before, also we likely still starting Keenum 

I think we draft a QB to be honest.   No source or anything just a gut feeling about Elway.  

The championship games feature 2 of the best to ever do it and 2 very promising young guns.   Elway is gonna want his.

And honestly the Lock love in the media makes me think of when Elway tried to emulate Hill by drafting freak athletes.   Now he wants a top tier QB, and I think he reverts to his measurables first drafting for it

Archived