Tathan Martell transferring to Miami

naptownskinsfan

So Martell goes from sub-tweeting Josh Fields to stay away from OSU to now entering the transfer portal to walk away from Ohio State.  Shows a lot of mental toughness from this guy.  I have a feeling he might crack on the big stage which OSU plays on consistently, so weed out the bad apple. 

Ohio State quarterback Tate Martell has entered his name into the NCAA transfer portal, according to a source. The redshirt freshman is not obligated to transfer by entering the portal, but it allows other programs to contact him to gauge his interest if he chooses to leave the Buckeyes.

The decision comes only six days after Georgia quarterback Justin Fields announced his intention to transfer to Ohio State. Fields was the No. 1 overall recruit in the 2018 class and is reportedly petitioning the NCAA for a waiver to gain immediate eligibility with the Buckeyes.

If Martell does transfer, he will have three more years of eligibility and, unless granted a waiver, will have to sit out the 2019 season.

After Ohio State's 28-23 victory over Washington in the Rose Bowl Game Presented by Northwestern Mutual, Martell said the reason he hadn't transferred in the past was because of his love for his teammates.

"I'm going to be honest, that's what's really kept me here to this point," he said.

"There's probably a ton of other schools I could be starting for right now," Martell added, pointing to the success that former Buckeyes quarterback Joe Burrow had at LSU.

"Joe leaves, only gets one summer with a team and there he is a starting quarterback for a top SEC program," he said.

http://www.espn.com/college-football/story/_/id/25729548/ohio-state-buckeye-quarterback-tate-martell-enters-name-ncaa-transfer-portal-according-source

Also I don’t know about cracking on the big stage. He did prolly play the toughest schedule his senior year while it was documented for one of the biggest HS programs in the nation.  Feel like they are handing the job to Fields. 

Only way Fields would have transfered to tOSU IMO. Tate was just a causality which sucks cause I liked him. 

Glad Day is ruthless

9 minutes ago, buno67 said:

Also I don’t know about cracking on the big stage. He did prolly play the toughest schedule his senior year while it was documented for one of the biggest HS programs in the nation.  Feel like they are handing the job to Fields. 

Only way Fields would have transfered to tOSU IMO. Tate was just a causality which sucks cause I liked him. 

Glad Day is ruthless

I'm concerned about his mental game.  Martell calls out Fields on Twitter, and now that Fields is on board, he enters the transfer portal.  I think everyone would understand him transferring if he lost out to Fields, but he's leaving before there is any competition after aggressively telling Fields to stay away.  That's a red flag for me. 

3 minutes ago, naptownskinsfan said:

I'm concerned about his mental game.  Martell calls out Fields on Twitter, and now that Fields is on board, he enters the transfer portal.  I think everyone would understand him transferring if he lost out to Fields, but he's leaving before there is any competition after aggressively telling Fields to stay away.  That's a red flag for me. 

That’s why I think they are handing Fields the job instead of a QB competition. Also think that because why would fields transfer to a school where he might sit for a year. Fields picked a place where he got assurance he would be the starter right away. If he was going to sit for a year, better to just stay at UGA where Fromm will be gone next year anyways 

20 minutes ago, buno67 said:

That’s why I think they are handing Fields the job instead of a QB competition. Also think that because why would fields transfer to a school where he might sit for a year. Fields picked a place where he got assurance he would be the starter right away. If he was going to sit for a year, better to just stay at UGA where Fromm will be gone next year anyways 

Who says anything was handed? I just think it was obvious to everyone how that competition would have turned out. Fields > Tate. He could have easily competed in the spring and tried to prove he was the best guy (which he’s not). Nothing against him. Fields is just a different level of prospect. 

Fields had residency in Tate’s head before the transfer. Then you have insiders talking about how Tate has needed talked into staying in CBus multiple times in his two years. This is probably best for everyone. Wish him the best elsewhere. 

1 hour ago, buno67 said:

I hope he goes to Oklahoma. 

I don't think Oklahoma is interested tbh.  I think the only transfer they'd be interested in is Jalen Hurts.  Austin Kendall fought neck-and-neck with Kyler Murray for the QB1 spot, and he barely lost it.  He's the early favorite to be the Sooners' starting QB.  And they signed Spencer Rattler in this most recent period, he's the future.  IF he was granted immediate eligibility I could maybe see it.  But there's virtually no chance Oklahoma would take him.

This has to means Fields was guaranteed the starting job by Day. That’s a very risky move. Smart didn’t trust Fields to throw the ball. And what happens if he doesn’t get his appeal granted and has to sit out a year?  Also not sure how it would look to teammates when a guy who has been on the team is not given a chance to start for an unproven guy. 

39 minutes ago, PAW said:

This has to means Fields was guaranteed the starting job by Day. That’s a very risky move. Smart didn’t trust Fields to throw the ball. And what happens if he doesn’t get his appeal granted and has to sit out a year?  Also not sure how it would look to teammates when a guy who has been on the team is not given a chance to start for an unproven guy. 

Yeah if he isn’t allowed the Waiver. Gonna look real bad. 

Day didn’t trust Martell to pass either when he should have been allowed too. 

Archived