Tathan Martell transferring to Miami

naptownskinsfan

Just now, JTagg7754 said:

So you can't answer my question?

The answer to your question is that there are already super teams in CFB. That's why your former head coach had to invent a brain tumor that makes him delete his cell phone contents every 20 minutes so he could leave OSU.

A different, slightly less sarcastic answer to your question is that the players aren't responsible for parity. They're students, and should be able to transfer like any other student unless they're locked down with a multi-year contract. That's how all of society works. And, honestly, super teams don't make a bad CFB product. We've gone in every year now with at most 15 teams that are actually capable of winning the national title, and ratings, revenue, popularity, it's all through the roof. The idea you're implying here, that CFB is better when the worst team in a conference has more than a puncher's chance against a behemoth, hasn't actually been proven right.

3 hours ago, -Hope- said:

listen, i don’t know how good this guy is, but i sat through malik rosier in mark richt’s offense last year. i can handle just about anything at this point lmao

Malik Rosier is the worst starting QB in Miami Hurricane history. I'm pretty sure an aborted fetus could have had a better completion percentage.

9 minutes ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

The answer to your question is that there are already super teams in CFB. That's why your former head coach had to invent a brain tumor that makes him delete his cell phone contents every 20 minutes so he could leave OSU.

A different, slightly less sarcastic answer to your question is that the players aren't responsible for parity. They're students, and should be able to transfer like any other student unless they're locked down with a multi-year contract. That's how all of society works. And, honestly, super teams don't make a bad CFB product. We've gone in every year now with at most 15 teams that are actually capable of winning the national title, and ratings, revenue, popularity, it's all through the roof. The idea you're implying here, that CFB is better when the worst team in a conference has more than a puncher's chance against a behemoth, hasn't actually been proven right.

Always gotta bring up Meyer even when it's your opinion and not relevant to the conversation 9_9

Super teams don't make for a bad product? LOL Yeah, that's evident by your whining about Bama and Clemson in your previous post accompanied by the fact that ticket sales for the NCG were down tremendously from last year and saw it's lowest amount of viewers since 2012. But yeah. great product!!

1 minute ago, JTagg7754 said:

Always gotta bring up Meyer even when it's your opinion and not relevant to the conversation 9_9

Super teams don't make for a bad product? LOL Yeah, that's evident by your whining about Bama and Clemson in your previous post accompanied by the fact that ticket sales for the NCG were down tremendously from last year and saw it's lowest amount of viewers since 2012. But yeah. great product!!

You can't penalize teams for being powerhouses. I don't know what your motive is with this. Yeah I hate Alabama and Clemson being the two dominant teams because I hate those schools. But it's not their fault. If Ohio State was the powerhouse team that won the national championship every single year I highly doubt you would be crying for change.

I think it's ridiculous that kids have to sit out at all for a transfer. It's unnecessary, especially in cases like this where a guy is going to be a backup at his current school. Let these freaking kids play the damn game. 

2 minutes ago, BleedTheClock said:

You can't penalize teams for being powerhouses. I don't know what your motive is with this. Yeah I hate Alabama and Clemson being the two dominant teams because I hate those schools. But it's not their fault. If Ohio State was the powerhouse team that won the national championship every single year I highly doubt you would be crying for change.

I think it's ridiculous that kids have to sit out at all for a transfer. It's unnecessary, especially in cases like this where a guy is going to be a backup at his current school. Let these freaking kids play the damn game. 

Not sure if you're confused on my stance or not. I'm not advocating change at all. I absolutely believe players should be penalized for moving schools b/c it prevents powerhouses from being built. Clemson and Bama are doing it the right way; through recruiting and coaching which has always been a part of the process and an integral part of the sport. It's worked in their favor and it's up to other teams to use their players and beat them. It's not like there aren't other teams w/ top 10 classes that can't beat them.

I don't mind your logic in your last line but that's the chance Tate took. He went to a huge school where he knew there'd be competition and he didn't beat out the other players. He made his choice, it was the wrong one, now he's moving on but paying the price for it. Just like you think I wouldn't mind it if OSU were in Bama/Clemson's shoes, I bet you'd be upset if, for some stupid reason, every 4-5* kid who didn't get their playing time all made a pact to go to FSU so Miami would basically become irrelevant. I mean, they still could do that but they'd have to sit out a year. 

3 hours ago, Mastercheddaar said:

Meh. I really wasn't that impressed with him. Seemed to have potential but if he wants to leave because he wasn't going to be handed the starting job then good riddance. Then again I've been known to be completely wrong about QBs from time to time. 

That is all

Mastercheddaar

you have?

@LETSGOBROWNIES, @Bonanza23, @candyman93, @Thomas5737

@NudeTayne, @mistakey

3 hours ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Because he's a student and normal students transfer without issue all the time.

The entire idea that students have to sit out a year is to give coaches leverage to treat players like ****. I love that this is getting systematically dismantled.

But he isn’t a normal student. So that whole aspect is thrown out the window.

Transferring due to playing time shouldn’t be waiver worthy. Just saying. If he had a legit reason yes but playing time ain’t it. 

21 minutes ago, buno67 said:

But he isn’t a normal student. So that whole aspect is thrown out the window.

Transferring due to playing time shouldn’t be waiver worthy. Just saying. If he had a legit reason yes but playing time ain’t it. 

Yeah he is, the NCAA has spent thousands of hours in court arguing that football players are normal students. The only thing that makes him different is that he gets a scholarship, but students with academic or private or any of the other kinds of scholarships transfer all the time without any penalty. 

Hell, even "student athletes" transfer all the time without penalty as long as they happen to graduate that year, with no reason whatsoever.

What's especially hilarious about this whole "it will ruin the game if we have powerhouse schools" is that the exact same system already exists with JUCOs, and no NCAA power wants to remove that process (which is why the grad transfer process exists, since the NCAA has yet to be able to figure out how to specifically let players leave from JUCOs).

They're students. They aren't under contract, nor are they being paid. It's absolutely none of our business whether they should transfer or not, and if they're that integral to the entertainment value of the product that they're transfers should be restricted only by contracts. You know, how the rest of this goddamn country works.

1 hour ago, JTagg7754 said:

I wasn't whining about Bama or Clemson. I was hyped for that game.

I was making fun of you for somehow thinking that CFB doesn't already have super teams. To be fair, I own some of that because I'm so infrequently serious in my responses to you that it's easy to get lost in the sarcasm.

1 minute ago, ramssuperbowl99 said:

Yeah he is, the NCAA has spent thousands of hours in court arguing that football players are normal students. The only thing that makes him different is that he gets a scholarship, but students with academic or private or any of the other kinds of scholarships transfer all the time without any penalty. 

Hell, even "student athletes" transfer all the time without penalty as long as they happen to graduate that year, with no reason whatsoever.

What's especially hilarious about this whole "it will ruin the game if we have powerhouse schools" is that the exact same system already exists with JUCOs, and no NCAA power wants to remove that process (which is why the grad transfer process exists, since the NCAA has yet to be able to figure out how to specifically let players leave from JUCOs).

They're students. They aren't under contract, nor are they being paid. It's absolutely none of our business whether they should transfer or not, and if they're that integral to the entertainment value of the product that they're transfers should be restricted only by contracts. You know, how the rest of this goddamn country works.

Only if they graduate and their new school has a graduate program their current school doesn’t offer. 

Jucos are not a part Of the NCAA process tho. 

They the student athlete truly cared they would transfer to the D2 or D3 level, that way they don’t have to sit out a year. 

Archived