Zach Brown: Redskins don't want people to hold players accountable

naptownskinsfan

I can't believe we missed this one, though it was picked up by PFT from the Athletic.  Writing is on the wall for Zach Brown not just because of Foster and Shaun Dion Hamilton, but he probably signed his release papers by speaking out.  I don't think he is wrong though. 

After another lost season in Washington D.C., Redskins linebacker Zach Brown told the Athletic that he anticipates significant changes to the team’s locker room.

This locker room is going to be so different next season,” Brown said.

One key piece of Washington’s defense is already gone. Safety D.J. Swearinger was axed by the team in late December after levying public criticism of defensive coordinator Greg Manusky’s game plan against the Tennessee Titans. While not directly correlated, Washington would also let a handful of key business side executives go days later, including COO Brian Lafemina, whom the franchise had hired to the position just eight months earlier.

Brown said that while Swearinger didn’t go about his comments the right way, it showed he cared about the team’s performance and his passion came from the correct place.

“You can clearly see, they don’t want guys that hold players accountable,” Brown said. “If you notice, no one except one person disagreed with D.J.’s comments that players aren’t being held accountable. Should he have said it the way he did? Nah. Was he wearing people out with the way he was going about it? Hell yeah! But it’s true. I see why our organization is disrespected. They get rid of the people that actually care, and are trying to create a winning culture.”

You can take the accountability aspect all the way up to owner Daniel Snyder and team president Bruce Allen as neither party made themselves available to answer questions regarding the team’s decision to claim Reuben Foster off waivers after an alleged domestic violence incident in Tampa or after the team’s decision to fire their business-side personnel.

Brown also said her doesn’t believe he will be back with the team next season despite having two years remaining on the contract he signed last March. Brown lost playing time to Shaun Dion Hamilton after getting sick in December.

Washington has made the playoffs just five times since Snyder took over as team owner in 1999 and has not reached the conference championship game in that span. They haven’t advanced beyond Wild Card weekend since 2005.

https://profootballtalk.nbcsports.com/2019/01/04/zach-brown-says-washington-doesnt-want-people-that-hold-players-accountable/

Just now, lavar703 said:

It wasn’t missed. Brown refuted the conversation. Said he never said those things. 

You're saying that Zach Brown, the guy who is quoted for that story, didn't say the things he's quoted as saying?

Can I get a reference to this refutation?

1 minute ago, Woz said:

You're saying that Zach Brown, the guy who is quoted for that story, didn't say the things he's quoted as saying?

Can I get a reference to this refutation?

He himself. Blasted the writer on twitter. Said he never said it. 

Just now, MikeT14 said:

Thru burgundy blog

Not exactly. He blasted the Burgundy Blog guy (leaving as links as NSFW) regarding him quoting it

https://twitter.com/ZachBrown_55/status/1081044765536382976 
https://twitter.com/ZachBrown_55/status/1081236265243152385
https://twitter.com/ZachBrown_55/status/1081236465588359169

But when BB said "it came from an article":

https://twitter.com/BurgundyBlog/status/1081236795625562113 

There was no reply

https://deadspin.com/skins-linebacker-zach-brown-gets-upset-about-his-own-qu-1831494628 (for a rolled up version, still NSFW)

The short version is that he said this (you can see at the top of the paywalled article: https://theathletic.com/744655/2019/01/02/questionable-moves-turmoil-and-outspokenness-the-story-behind-washingtons-defensive-collapse/ SFW, but requires paywall ), and then tried to deny it when a Redskins twitter guy repeated it.

I have a feeling he said these things, but whether or not they were supposed to be published- or he is denying just because- remains to be seen.  Even though our local and national reporters love anonymous sources, they wouldn't make things up for the sake of headlines, especially when there isn't any shortage of material.  

Just now, naptownskinsfan said:

I have a feeling he said these things, but whether or not they were supposed to be published- or he is denying just because- remains to be seen.  Even though our local and national reporters love anonymous sources, they wouldn't make things up for the sake of headlines, especially when there isn't any shortage of material.  

Given that:

1. When presented the original article and asked if he denies saying those things, he dropped the subject leads me to believe he said them.
  2. Whether they were "supposed to be published or not" is somewhat irrelevant. He said them unprompted in the team's locker room. If he didn't learn from the Mason Foster incident that what they say will be passed along, then I question whether he is the right candidate for being the defensive play caller.

On 1/11/2019 at 5:08 AM, turtle28 said:

Swearinger, Amerson, Breeland and Sua come to mind.

I've re-read this thread a couple of times, but I'm a bit confused how you came up this collection of four names. What is this in reference to?

On 1/11/2019 at 5:08 AM, turtle28 said:

We should’ve never re-signed Zach Brown, we wasted millions. We could’ve saved $2.5 million if we had started Martell Spaight and had JHC in the nickel D.

From a talent perspective, Brown >> Spaight.

Also, what would saving $2.5M mean in the greater scheme of things for this franchise?

On 1/22/2019 at 12:18 PM, MKnight82 said:

Out of all the criticisms made by players this year, Foster's was the most egregious IMO.  

Agreed.  Swearinger gets cut after what he's said, and Foster got to stick around in his starting role and as team captain.  

Look, I don't agree with cutting Swearinger, considering how many anonymous leaks we've had for the two decades that Snyder has owned this team, but I certainly understand those who defend it.  But at the same time, the Redskins needed to show consistency, and what Foster did is not what a leader does.  His captaincy should've been stripped, and I personally would've had him ride the bench.  

At the very least, I am glad that he won't be around next year to be burned by the opposing running backs out of the backfield.  Time to let some new guys get a go at ILB.  

Archived